Training two dogs at once

Bberry20

Training two dogs at once

Post by Bberry20 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 am

U have a 1 1/2 year old that i have had since 8 weeks of age, listens well recall is good, hunted him all fall last year. I recently adopted a 2 1/2 year old who i have been trying to work with as well. When i take them out to walk some fields together the adopted one doesnt return and ventures way out causing me to go find him. I have had him for almost around a month now, and take daily walks with him on the check cord working on re call. My question is does anyone ever train two dogs at thew same time?

I want to take themn both out to the field and work thhem on seperate items. When i tie the older one out on the stake he whines and barks non stop because he can see us out working. SHould i just take them seperatley until the older is more comfortable and listens better?

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Re: Training two dogs at once

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:23 pm

I would work them separately until you get them both steady or to whatever level you consider finished.
You run the risk of the older dog influencing the younger dog in a negative way if you don't. Read Rick Smith's answer to training multiple dogs via the chain gang and figure 8. www.huntsmith.com

Nate

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:05 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:I would work them separately until you get them both steady or to whatever level you consider finished.
You run the risk of the older dog influencing the younger dog in a negative way if you don't.

Nate
That's what I do with my two...

Dogs only seem to learn bad habits from each other.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:13 pm

Like Nate said, read up on hunt smith.

I train between 3-4 dogs every other day. I use the chain gang and work 1 dog at a time unless I am working 2 broke dogs on honoring.

It is not unusual to have the dogs on the chain excited when another dog goes out to train. I use the figure 8 when everyone is back in camp and a dog is being defiant a yelling at me ( barking ).

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:38 pm

A whiney dog is usually whining because it is anticipating something it usually doesn't have to wait for.... make it wait. Its like dogs whining waiting for a retrieve... clearly they have got the majority of retrieves thrown/shot and their handler needs to start picking more up for themselves.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:31 pm

So another issue.... the dogs are kenneled together. My young one never barks, whines, etc. The elder is constantly whining, barking, etc. He may just be a vocal dog. Thoughts?

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:08 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:A whiney dog is usually whining because it is anticipating something it usually doesn't have to wait for.... make it wait. Its like dogs whining waiting for a retrieve... clearly they have got the majority of retrieves thrown/shot and their handler needs to start picking more up for themselves.
Have you ever personally waited out a whiny shorthair?

Try the figure 8. Life's too short.

Nate

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Training two dogs together is a recipe for disaster or a drill for what is expected.
A number of factors in the OP's comments however would indicate an early disaster (imho) . the 'new dog' has only been with them a 'month'?!! and the other dog is just past yearling!
Now, that doesn't mean that you can't train two dogs together!,but this mix of factors in the OP is not the best.
It has been already said that gaining a suitable standard for both before training together and is sound advice (imo).
Cass (CDM) also indicated introducing 'honour' without noise or anticipation/expectation can and should be conditioned for.
It has also been done with different breeds doing natural breed activities!(touching on young uns other thread about two dogs!)
I know ,going against all the rules and what has been expertly advised! , but it can be done ,if all the basics are in place individually and the handler has the capabilities.
Last edited by polmaise on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:14 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:

Nate

I've been waiting out my Vizsla for nigh onto 9 years now - are you telling me I'm waiting in vain?

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:46 pm

RoostersMom wrote:
DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:

Nate

I've been waiting out my Vizsla for nigh onto 9 years now - are you telling me I'm waiting in vain?
You're a very patient woman. That or you're masochistic. :D

Nate

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Before the formal training begins, I will let two young pups run together in a field with 2 launcher homing pigeons. when they flash point and run in on the birds I launch and let them chase beyond that I only run two dogs when they are broke and I am just polishing them.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:48 pm

Here is an excellent short video of a great trainer training two dogs at one time. If you enjoy this one, there are actually more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QHePmBG95M

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:05 pm

madmurph wrote:Here is an excellent short video of a great trainer training two dogs at one time. If you enjoy this one, there are actually more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QHePmBG95M

I'm not sure that this video is a good example of training 2 dogs together much less an "excellent" one. I think Moe, Curly and Larry could do better. :D
Last edited by Brazosvalleyvizslas on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:14 pm

We don't have many wild birds left here in Ohio but the crate bird is extinct in this state!! :P :lol:

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:We don't have many wild birds left here in Ohio but the crate bird is extinct in this state!! :P :lol:
I've heard the Planted Bird is doing well in my state of birth. :D

mask

Post by mask » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Training two dogs at once is like trying to have two girlfriends at once, it might work but only if you take them out one at a time. :)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:32 am

I do not know any pro trainers who train more than one dog at a time. I don't know as many as some on here, but I do know a few really good ones and have seen them work. They may gang run puppies, road multiple dogs or even work finished dogs together, but they train their dogs one at a time, often with the rest of the student body watching on a chain gang. If training dogs two by two was possible, I am sure they would do it to save time, because they have 10, 15, 20 or more dogs at any one time to work. They do not. One at a time.

That says something to me. One at a time.

RayG