Kiddie pool

Scott Linden

Kiddie pool

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Summer time and the livin' is easy. But my young guy simply will not lay down in his pool. We live on the desert, so this is an issue. He'll wade, make a move toward sitting, then chicken out. I want him to belly flop into the cool, refreshing water after a hard training session. His "down" command is ignored - the water is an alien substance to him - and I won't force it as I don't want him to sour on the pool.

Tricks? Suggestions? Thanks.

jimbo&rooster

Re: Kiddie pool

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:28 pm

What happens if there is another dog in the pool with him? Some dogs just don't do water ive got a GSP here that wouldn't jump in the water if he was on fire, unless there was a bird to pick up.

Jim

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:34 pm

Start off with the water depth only being a couple inches. If/when he lays down in that amount, make it deeper next time, etc.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Is he overheated (or close)? Or do you just want to cool him off.

I have a hound that won't do water unless she really is really hot.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:45 am

Scott,

I hear what you are saying about how your dog gets into the water but really you are doing what so many of us do. We decide how, when, and why the dog does things rather than provide the tools so the dog can do whatever he wants to do. Why has it evolved into the state that we think we know more than our dog about his comfort? Water is there and I am sure he will use it when and how he is comfortable with it.

JMO
Ezzy

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:07 am

I was out at a local training area that has ponds and was throwing bumpers around for my lab. My English pointer is competitive with the lab and will chase and retrieve with the lab. I threw a few into the pond and the lab went in, naturally. Well the pointer just couldn't stand it and ended up going in too. She ended up in the water 3-4 times going after the bumper. Another pointer owner and a trainer were floored. While I was surprised, I knew there was a possibility since I have seen her lay and roll in shallow water to cool down.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:09 am

ezzy333 wrote:Scott,

I hear what you are saying about the how your dog gets into the water but really you are doing what so many of us do. We decide how, when, and why the dog does things rather than provide the tools so the dog can use whatever he wants to do. Why have it evolved into the state that we think we know more than our dog about his comfort? Water is there for his comfort and I am sure he will use it when and how he is comfortable with it.

JMO
Ezzy

This ^^^

Why is belly flopping or not your decision? :lol: My crew has a kiddie pool, too. It's pretty much ignored. They' don't have any issues with flopping into some stinkin' mucky nasty puddle of warm stagnant algae-ridden grossness though. But the pool's there if they want it.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:58 am

I just took something he wanted and sank it- had to stick his head under 6 inches to get it- increased it to a foot of water- That PP is a water dog now

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:07 am

Feet, ears and belly are all spots where the dog can cool off. If he is doing what you say I think it would be OK to gently push him down while saying down if he is overly exhausted. He won't become apprehensive with the pool after the fact. That way it is a teaching moment for him.

Another thing to bold him up is building a corridor with the pool at the far end. Leave some space on the backside of it. Use either his toy or a dead bird if he is running and chasing birds. Throw the object in the pool a couple of times and then on the backside of the pool. If he has drive, getting the object is the only thing he'll care about.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:05 am

Chasing a hobbled duck around a pond really changed my pup's attitude towards water. He was fine with it prior, but now he freakin' loves it. He'll now run into the lake begging for me to throw a stick. I saw the change in the kiddie pool as well. Before he'd stand, now he lays. Probably a combo of the duck, patience, and exposure...

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:08 am

If it bother's you that much, use your hands and get water on his belly.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:21 am

Scott Linden wrote:Summer time and the livin' is easy. But my young guy simply will not lay down in his pool. We live on the desert, so this is an issue. He'll wade, make a move toward sitting, then chicken out. I want him to belly flop into the cool, refreshing water after a hard training session. His "down" command is ignored - the water is an alien substance to him - and I won't force it as I don't want him to sour on the pool. Tricks? Suggestions?
Allow the dog some latitude for deciding what he needs rather than what you would like to see or assume he needs.
Micromanaging, short of actual physical distress correction, often should be avoided.

JonnyNC

Post by JonnyNC » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:31 pm

Scott,

I know exactly what you mean. My britt will be hot and panting and all I want to see is her jump into one of these cool, clear streams around my house. My gsp will get right in and cool down but the britt just sort of sticks her paws in the water. It would give me such satisfaction for britt to jump in and get soaked.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:11 pm

I provide the small kiddie pools in all of the kennels - the old pointer won't lay in it, though she will swim a lot when we kayak. All of the rest of the dogs go in and lay in their pools. The beagles stand in them and won't lay down though.

I think if you provide it, the dog will use it if he needs it. I've found that some really won't stay out of them and some don't care for them.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Folks, he swims great, retrieves with aplomb in the water - those aren't a problem. Just want him to cool off after a run the easy way - he'll stand in the pool, let me splash his belly and even stand still for a hosing down. I think I've found the problem - see if your dog "fits," too: My guy is too long when he lays down to FIT in the pool! Next stop: Wal Mart.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:21 pm

I'm in the "don't worry about it" category. I've got two GSPs and a DD and they all treat the kiddie pool differently. One will only stand in it to cool off, one sits in it, and the other one lays in it with just his head out of the water. They all manage to cool off in their own way!

Randy

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:40 pm

I got a pup trys to get into the water bucket :) he loves the water...

My kiddie pool is the smaller size and 4 dogs will get in it at once. :)

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:22 pm

I am in the dog will figure it out camp.

Mine last year, would barely go in it, this year it started out as a big water dish, then wading pool, now on warm days he is rushing into the yard to go for a flop after a walk. But it matched up to how comfortable he was as a swimmer, now that he is a water nut he is always looking for an excuse to get wet.