Cicada's... "Crunch"... tastes like chicken...

SHORTFAT

Cicada's... "Crunch"... tastes like chicken...

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:41 pm

So... I let my goofy Pointer out and I hear this crunching... I look, and she's on the porch eating Cicada's like they're winged potato chips... I looked on line and everything I've found says they won't hurt anything, but I'm trying to limit her intake... :roll: anyone else have a bug eater???

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: Cicada's... "Crunch"... tastes like chicken...

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Not currently, but my Jed ate crickets like crazy as a puppy. Cicada's are probably fairly good for them. You could eat them if you so desired, but we soft stomached Americans should cook all our animals before eating. Used to be a Naturalist at a nearby Nature Center and we had an "edible wild" program in which some employees cooked up some of the edible insects, mushrooms, and plants native to TN. Also most of what you find on the ground are just the exoskeletons, after they molt. Somtimes the dead ones after they breed.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:40 am

June bugs for mine!

Funny cicada story though - a few years ago we had a double hatch (when the 7 year and the 17 year come out at once) - the local specialty ice cream shop made cicada ice cream for a few days until the health department got wind of it.

I wasn't in town, so I didn't get to try it.
Last edited by RoostersMom on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Munster

Post by Munster » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:48 am

Mine will rip down curtains trying to get flies or any flying bug! Lightning bugs are fun to watch as the young dogs try to chase them down.

fourseasons

Post by fourseasons » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:33 am

About 10 years ago we had the 17 year cicada variety - 10's of thousands of the critters buzzing around like flies. One of our Pointers (must be genetic <G>) also thought this was the best of all worlds, delicious snacks that actually flew right to her mouth! All went well for a few days UNTIL... the bugs worked their magic on her intestinal tract and whoo-wee... watery poo for days!!! You can bet we spent the rest of the cicada season making sure our "insectivore" was supervised during all outdoor forays to ensure she didn't snack on any more bugs ;-)

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:06 am

RoostersMom wrote:June bugs for mine!

Funny cicada story though - a few years ago we had a double hatch (when the 7 year and the 17 year come out at once) - the local specialty ice cream shop made cicada ice cream for a few days until the health department got wind of it.

I wasn't in town, so I didn't get to try it.
You aren't in Columbia, MO are you? Sparky's ice cream downtown made it, but they had to buy cicadas from a fda licensed seller. They ran out before I had a chance to try it.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:19 pm

Munster wrote:Mine will rip down curtains trying to get flies or any flying bug! Lightning bugs are fun to watch as the young dogs try to chase them down.
Same with one of mine.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:49 am

My male Tac eats every bee, beetle, and bug he can find....