please recommend dog friendly National/State Parks

HallesDad

Post by HallesDad » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:22 am

We enjoy camping/backpacking and hiking. We would like to enjoy it with Halle, however, most of the national parks that we want to visit (grand canyon, grand tetons, big bend, yellowstone, yosemite etc.) are NOT dog friendly. The ones that do consider themselves "dog friendly" have very strict regulations about where dogs can go...I consider this NOT dog friendly...see below pet regulations for big bend national park.

"A national park is a refuge for the animals and plants living in it. Even if your pet does not chase deer, birds, or ground critters, it still presents the image and scent of a historical predator. The result is stress on the native wildlife. In addition, predators such as owls, coyotes, mountain lions, and javelinas can and do kill pets. Even large dogs cannot defend themselves against predators. Contagious diseases can also be transmitted between your dog and native coyotes and other wild animals.

Having a pet with you may limit some of your activities and explorations in the park. Abiding by these pet regulations will ensure a safer, more enjoyable visit for yourselves, other park visitors, your pet, and the park's wildlife.

-Pets are not allowed on trails, off roads, or on the river. Your pet can only go where your car can go.
-Pets need to be on a leash no longer than six feet in length (or in a cage) at all times.
-You may not leave your pet unattended in vehicles if it creates a danger to the animal, or if the animal becomes a public nuisance.
-If you plan to hike, someone must stay behind with the pet, or you will need to make arrangements with a kennel service. There is no kennel service in the park.
-Pet etiquette and park regulations require that you always clean up after your pet and dispose of waste in trash receptacles. "

its funny because it claims the reason dogs are not allowed is because the image and scent of dogs presents the image of a historical predator...you know what else is a historical predator? MAN! what a crock of caca

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: please recommend dog friendly National/State Parks

Post by cjhills » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:51 am

Do you really believe your dog should be allowed to run free in a national park? What happens if your dog is attacked by a bear or any other animal? There are just places where dogs shouldn't be allowed and the parks are one of them. While your dog may be very well trained and obedient most aren't and many people with pets don't know the difference. Most people don't clean up after the dog in big country when nobody is looking. Transmitting disease to wild animals is a major issue.
Good luck. Best to leave the dog behind when you go hiking in a National park. .....................................CJ

HallesDad

Post by HallesDad » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:11 am

Who said anything about running free? I own a very nice leash. The dog is just as likely if not more so to get bit by a snake here at home or in the field than to get attacked by a bear/wolf/coyote during the day at a national park! Out of all the time I've spent at national parks the wildest animal I've ever seen were pretty tame squirrels. Also strongly doubt that of all the things that spread disease in nature my vaccinated healthy dog's feces is one of them, heck, we use it in our vegetable garden as fertilizer.

Besides, if you read my post I was not looking for an argument, rather, recommendations of parks that ARE dog friendly!

If you don't have anything helpful to say...

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:45 am

Savage Gulf State park allows leashed dogs to walk the trails. It might me the most obscure out of the way park in TN but its beautiful. Especially in fall and spring.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:51 am

Sorry, but your post sounded more like putting down the parks for not allowing dogs,than about dog friendly parks. In fact I see nothing other than the title about dog friendly parks. I also was not looking for an argument, just pointing the reason why parks are not dog friendly. Just because your dog is vaccinated does not mean it cannot transmit a disease.
If you go to Yellowstone, Glacier or the Grand Tetons you will see more than tame squirrels.
Again, sorry if you find this offensive. Didn't mean it that way. But, dogs in parks set up for nature and wildlife cause problems. Management knows that. That is why they are not allowed.........................................Cj

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:52 am

HallesDad

Post by HallesDad » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:55 am

That's a nice site! Thanks!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:57 am

The national parks consider themselves to be dog friendly because dogs are allowed in certain areas, which do not include trails or back country. You can have your dog on a leash in the campgrounds and on certain walkways in the 'civilized' areas. You may not leave your dog unattended at campgrounds, and this includes leaving them in a trailer or rv while you tour.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is. IME too many people have the attitude that park rules don't apply to them or their especially well behaved dogs :roll: and that ruined it for the rest of us. Barking, pooping, charging, peeing, free-running dogs all allowed by owners who don't take responsibility :evil:

We have camped with multiple dogs in the lovely state of Michigan. Their state forests are wonderful. Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore has dog beaches where dogs ON LEASH are welcome. Please remember to take plenty of poop bags :D because I'd hate to have those places also forbid dogs.

Ohio allows two dogs in campsites in the state parks. A few wildlife areas allow dog training but you'd have to look on the DNR site to see which and when.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 am

cjhills wrote:Sorry, but your post sounded more like putting down the parks for not allowing dogs,than about dog friendly parks. In fact I see nothing other than the title about dog friendly parks. I also was not looking for an argument, just pointing the reason why parks are not dog friendly. Just because your dog is vaccinated does not mean it cannot transmit a disease.
If you go to Yellowstone, Glacier or the Grand Tetons you will see more than tame squirrels.
Again, sorry if you find this offensive. Didn't mean it that way. But, dogs in parks set up for nature and wildlife cause problems. Management knows that. That is why they are not allowed.........................................Cj
Out here we have proven that "Mexican Grey" wolfs have, and transmit, more diseases than you can shake a stick at. We conduct "field trials" in the Apache Sitgraves and the Coconio National Forests all the time. The only restrictions pertaining to dogs is that they must be kept on a leash in "improved" campgrounds. Their is a whole different set rules that apply when you get a "special use" permit. The National Forest Service aka USDA is another Liberal government organization that tries to operate like the EPA. They give their front line management "carte blanche" in creating draconian rules for us to use OUR forests. These people do not believe they are "Public Servants" put there to help the public. I am a outdoors person and do every thing I can to keep our forests clean and do not abuse it as do most citizens but unfortunately our USFS thinks their role is to slap on rule after rule every time some idiot goes in the forest and abuses it. We need to protect and preserve our Forests but the pendulum has swung way way to the left in favor of our environmentalists.

You may have noticed this is a sore subject with me :wink:

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:01 am

Don't forget the contributions of US Fish and Wildlife, too! Federal land is becoming their private property, no trespassing by the hoi poloi!

asc

Post by asc » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:03 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
cjhills wrote:Sorry, but your post sounded more like putting down the parks for not allowing dogs,than about dog friendly parks. In fact I see nothing other than the title about dog friendly parks. I also was not looking for an argument, just pointing the reason why parks are not dog friendly. Just because your dog is vaccinated does not mean it cannot transmit a disease.
The National Forest Service aka USDA is another Liberal government organization that tries to operate like the EPA. They give their front line management "carte blanche" in creating draconian rules for us to use OUR forests. These people do not believe they are "Public Servants" put there to help the public.

You may have noticed this is a sore subject with me :wink:
This^^^^ has become the status quo here as well. USFWS is the same way.

benelli

Post by benelli » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Usually the national forest areas are more "dog friendly" than the parks - I don't know if forest areas are an option for you. We also enjoy having our dog along with us for camping trips - several years ago we went on a backpacking trip with our Boxer and it was tons of fun. He settled right in to backpacking life, carrying his food (and snacks for us), and always wanting to be second in line on the trail. There are lots of funny stories from that trip that we wouldn't have had if we hadn't had him along.

We're planning a camping trip for the upcoming month, and we're most likely going to end up going to the Sequoia National Forest, rather than Sequoia National Park, mainly because it means we can have the dog along. I somewhat understand why the parks have the policies they do, just because so many people have poorly-behaved dogs and they won't clean up after them and that sort of thing, but for the responsible dog owners out there (which I like to think I'm among them), it does kind of make things tougher. Good luck finding a place to go!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:19 pm

cjhills wrote:Do you really believe your dog should be allowed to run free in a national park? What happens if your dog is attacked by a bear or any other animal? There are just places where dogs shouldn't be allowed and the parks are one of them. While your dog may be very well trained and obedient most aren't and many people with pets don't know the difference. Most people don't clean up after the dog in big country when nobody is looking. Transmitting disease to wild animals is a major issue.
Good luck. Best to leave the dog behind when you go hiking in a National park. .....................................CJ
Are you serious? You would hike in a "park" but you fear that your dog could be attacked by a bear? Life is full of risks and our sporting dogs are put in the highest percent of those risks. Many of those risks cant be avoided but a bear? Heck, driving your dog to the park has a much higher risk then the actual walk in the park.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Problem with bringing dogs is some folks dont like em and they talk and then folks stop coming and that leads to no money rolling in. Smaller parks that fewer folks frequent may have more lenient rules on dogs. Most folks leave their pets home while on vacation. I like to take mine to the lake and camp out over nite, fish swim etc. Folks dont mind them in that situation. Many come over just to see the dogs. Shorthairs are one fine animal to kook at :)

My 7 would attempt to tree any bear they came upon, same as the other critters cept the larger ones, they are too much like cows and my dogs leave cows alone :)

Could you imagine the fine from my dog bringing me a dead varmint in yellowstone? :)

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:13 pm

...................ImageImageImage