Which airline to send dog on from SLC, UT to Lexington, KY

SCT

Which airline to send dog on from SLC, UT to Lexington, KY

Post by SCT » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:25 pm

I need to send my female pointer to KY from UT. Any suggestions as to what airline to use??

Steve

jetjockey

Re: Which airline to send dog on from SLC, UT to Lexington, KY

Post by jetjockey » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:34 pm

I have shipped my dog several times on Delta. They have a hub in Salt Lake and no matter what, it will be a two leg flight. On Delta the dog will either go through Atlanta, Minneapolis, or Detroit. You will have to check on that one. Delta does a pretty good job handling animals and they keep them in air conditioned vans until its time to go. However, they do have temperature restrictions, so you would need to look into that. After my last experience shipping my dog via GDX, I'm back to happily using the airlines.

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Steve I have good luck with Delta. I shipped a dog back to calif last week with zero problems.. Make sure you have the right size crate though or that will set you back.

Mo

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:04 pm

My pups breeder was going to use Delta, but then he used United instead for flight time reasons

United has a good pet safe program also. When I picked the pup up the Cargo Warehouse guy also said United has a great dog shipping, pet safe service.

My pup came out of Franklin Kentucky, Breeder shipped him out of Nashville Airport

I heard delta and AA and Alaska were good, now also United is good

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Thanks Everyone, I am probably will go with Delta.

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:25 am

Delta's number 1-888-736-3738. coming from the west, not for sure how they route. From Lexington going west, fly to Atlanta, have 1 hr overlay there, and then direct to destination. Have received several dogs, with United flights, no problems. Have never shipped with, I have always used Delta. The last flight I had to bolt the dog box together. Or, make sure it was, they didn't want the plastic clips used. Thanks Jonesy

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:56 am

This new pup I have is the first dog I have had shipped so I was calling the Airlines, cargo, to get info, have to pick pup up at a separate cargo building etc etc.
Shipping once done went smooth, the hassle is calling the airlines and talking to some of their ignorant employees that dont know squat, trying to learn what is involved and hot weather shipping safe info. Took three or four calls to each airline before I found an employee that was knowledgeable
For example, I had someone at delta tell me they dont ship dogs, another said the only ship dogs on trucks, one that told me to pick the dog up at the passenger baggage station etc etc. You want to talk to someone at the airlines PetSafe program to get the right info.

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:35 am

that's the number I passed, deltas pets first. Thanks Jonesy

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:30 am

Delta has always done a good job for me.