bark collars

dog dr

bark collars

Post by dog dr » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:09 am

does anyone have any experience with the citronella bark collars? I have a client that is interested. he had a bad experience with an e-collar that was left on a dog. any help appreciated.

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:03 am

a buddy of mine was looking for a bark collar not too long ago and he was just about to settle on this one, then he found a review on the net. It was posted by a lady, she put the collar on the dog, the dog barks and the citronella sprayed out. This got the dog worked up, so everytime it sprayed the dog just barked more. She said that this went on for a good 10-15 minutes, the dog would just keeping barking everytime the citronella sprayed.

She finially decided that it was not going to work so he bent down to take the collar off the dog, the dog is still barking. The citronella got her in the face and made her throw up on the rug in her living room. Now she has a barking dog, vomit on the rug and her house is not smelling good.

I am sure that is just an isolated case, but I could see where this would get the dog worked up. My buddy ended up going with one that just beeps, it seems to work pretty well, unless the dog is real worked up then she does not care.

EWSIV

Re: bark collars

Post by EWSIV » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:27 am

dog dr wrote:does anyone have any experience with the citronella bark collars? I have a client that is interested. he had a bad experience with an e-collar that was left on a dog. any help appreciated.
You can also just put water in them.

Scott

Post by Scott » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:58 am

I tried a couple different brands of the e-bark collars. The innotecs were junk. They would work when they werent supposed to and didnt when they should. I finally bit the bullet and bought the tri-tronics for around $100 and they are great. No problems. It has adjustable levels of stimulation and a counter. The counter kinda lets you know if you are having problems. ie if it has a high number then maybe you need to bump up the stimulation a level. Just my experience, hope that helps.

The citronella incident listed above sounds pretty rough. I could see that happening especially with a dog that is confused by the collar.