How much to campaign?

JonnyNC

How much to campaign?

Post by JonnyNC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:20 pm

Just out of curiosity, how much does a good trainer/handler charge to campaign a dog on their trial string?

I don't do FT's myself but I'm very interested in how it all works. Thanks.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: How much to campaign?

Post by topher40 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:35 pm

$5-700 a month for training. Entry fees, travel fees, handling fees, etc. You can spend 2,000 a month easy depending on what trials you want your dog to attend.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:39 am

AKC and American Field vary some, as do All-Age and Shooting Dog within AF. Mostly as to entry fees, Major Championships are $250 per, sometimes 3 - 4 a month.

Even in AKC the hour Championships are much more than weekend trials

AKC Weekend about $6,000 a year. + championships maybe 9,000.

AF Shooting Dog $10,000+, All Age $12,000 to 15,000.

Few have just one dog on the circuit, usually a couple adults and a Derby.

And that does not include the costs of attending trials to watch your dogs; horses, trailer, truck, travel, meals, lodging, pasture and barns.

It is said some have spent a million dollars trying to win the National Championship at Ames without success.

It is not unlike asking what it costs to race cars; local bull rings a few thousand to 12 - 15 million for NASCAR Sprint.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:49 am

Oh boy...you NEVER add it up!

You go run your puppy at a walking puppy stake close to home. You get a ribbon, and the judge tells you what a nice little dog you got there, so you do it again, and you get another ribbon. Now your pup is derby age, and you're having a blast...and you get another ribbon. And now you'd sell your soul to start competing with the big dogs! So you FIND $300 or $400 a month to pay a trainer to break your prized puppy for you....and when he/she says your dog is ready, you scrounge together the $50 entry fee, and the dog blows up, so you make sure you have another $400 to pay the trainer another month...and the next time you have $50, you run another trial and get around clean!! WOO HOO! and the 3rd or 4th clean run you have, you get a ribbon!! Now you sell your shotgun so you can pay for more training or entry fees....and you're off and running!!

Welcome to the insanity! :D

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:46 am

Johnny NC -

The folks who have posted previously are all correct...especially Karen. :lol: :lol: It IS infectious.

However, there are ways to play the game without breaking the bank. Walking stakes is one of those ways.

If you live in an area where there are walking trials within reasonable driving distances, such as USCSDA, for example, you can do those without needing a horse and all that goes with that. If you get together with someone who knows what is going on with those trials, it is very likely you can share expenses. There are a lot of cover dog folks and US Complete folks who do not own a horse.

If you put a dog with a pro, you can expect, as previously mentioned to pay anywhere from $400-700 per month for training. The entry fees for open half hour stakes are typically in the $50-70 range and handler's fees are typically in the $30 range for a half hour stake. A pro can be expected to supply the owner a horse to watch their dog in horseback stakes.

As an owner, you are in control of which trials your dog is entered in, and therefore, how much you spend. However, pros make money by handling dogs, so it will be to their benefit to enter your dog in as many trials as they are going to go to.

If you decide to run your own dog, amateur stakes in AF sanctioned stakes are typically 2/3 the cost of a similar open entry fee, because there is no purse. This can keep the costs down as well. The level of competition in weekend amateur stakes is usually a bit less than that in open stakes, so it may well be a better place to "break in". Not always though.....

RayG

JonnyNC

Post by JonnyNC » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks for the responses. Super interesting. And I believe it when you guys say it's an addictive and expensive deal. That pretty much sums up my experience with chasing birds with dogs. If my wife were willing, I would move out into the middle of nowhere to spend more days hunting and training on wild birds. It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle...

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:04 pm

JonnyNC wrote:Thanks for the responses. Super interesting. And I believe it when you guys say it's an addictive and expensive deal. That pretty much sums up my experience with chasing birds with dogs. If my wife were willing, I would move out into the middle of nowhere to spend more days hunting and training on wild birds. It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle...
No - Actually it is an obsession. A grand one, without a doubt, but an obsession for certain. Don't take my word for it...ask my wife. :lol: :lol:

I encourage you to check out the various formats of trials in your area. Go see what there is to see. There is, or should be a good mix of trials and tests in NC, probably more toward the coastal areas. There are the classic American Field/AFTCA horseback field trials, both shooting dog and all age, with many trials being held at the Hoffman grounds. I have never been there myself, but I am told they are outstanding grounds. There are a couple of AF sanctioned walking trials in the area as well, but most are horseback. If you contact the trial chairman in advance, they may be able to arrange a loaner or rental horse for you. There are US Complete Shooting dog Assn. and NBHA trials, which are all walking stakes. There are probably some NSTRA trials in your area, which are a walking format where the handler also shoots the birds for their dog and the performance receives a numerical score.

There are also AKC trials, which might be restricted to a single breed, or be open to all breeds. These are quite similar in many ways to AF trials in how they are conducted . Lastly there are AKC and NAVHDA hunt tests where the dogs are competing against a standard and either pass or fail. All the trial formats are head to head competitions with the best dogs placing and the rest going home empty handed.

I encourage you to go and see several different types of competitions. You will see things you like and things you don't. But you will see more good dogs in a day a trial or test than you will see in a season afield and you will meet a bunch of folks afflicted with the same sickness you are showing symptoms of.

The trials and events in your area start in the fall and continue on through until early spring. Check the AFTCA website for AFTCA clubs in your area, the AKC website for performance clubs and performance events in your area, the US Complete Assn website for clubs and events and so on. Check 'em all out. I am sure you will find something you like. I did.

RayG
RayG

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:22 pm

I was addicted to shooting competitively (skeet and sporting) for aout 20 years. I loved it, and made many
great friends. It was expensive, but not like some of these numbers. Competition on can bring out the best and
the worst out of people. In shooting, I saw mostly the best of folks.

Not saying I would never compete with my dog, but I think I have had my fill of being really competitive. I love training
and hunting, but none of the competitions interest me. I have lots of respect for those that do it, and do it well.

JMHO

Mike

JonnyNC

Post by JonnyNC » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:13 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
JonnyNC wrote:Thanks for the responses. Super interesting. And I believe it when you guys say it's an addictive and expensive deal. That pretty much sums up my experience with chasing birds with dogs. If my wife were willing, I would move out into the middle of nowhere to spend more days hunting and training on wild birds. It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle...
No - Actually it is an obsession. A grand one, without a doubt, but an obsession for certain. Don't take my word for it...ask my wife. :lol: :lol:

I encourage you to check out the various formats of trials in your area. Go see what there is to see. There is, or should be a good mix of trials and tests in NC, probably more toward the coastal areas. There are the classic American Field/AFTCA horseback field trials, both shooting dog and all age, with many trials being held at the Hoffman grounds. I have never been there myself, but I am told they are outstanding grounds. There are a couple of AF sanctioned walking trials in the area as well, but most are horseback. If you contact the trial chairman in advance, they may be able to arrange a loaner or rental horse for you. There are US Complete Shooting dog Assn. and NBHA trials, which are all walking stakes. There are probably some NSTRA trials in your area, which are a walking format where the handler also shoots the birds for their dog and the performance receives a numerical score.

There are also AKC trials, which might be restricted to a single breed, or be open to all breeds. These are quite similar in many ways to AF trials in how they are conducted . Lastly there are AKC and NAVHDA hunt tests where the dogs are competing against a standard and either pass or fail. All the trial formats are head to head competitions with the best dogs placing and the rest going home empty handed.

I encourage you to go and see several different types of competitions. You will see things you like and things you don't. But you will see more good dogs in a day a trial or test than you will see in a season afield and you will meet a bunch of folks afflicted with the same sickness you are showing symptoms of.

The trials and events in your area start in the fall and continue on through until early spring. Check the AFTCA website for AFTCA clubs in your area, the AKC website for performance clubs and performance events in your area, the US Complete Assn website for clubs and events and so on. Check 'em all out. I am sure you will find something you like. I did.

RayG
RayG
Thanks a bunch for the info, Ray. I looked up the Hoffman grounds and I will definitely check out some trials there this fall. It sounds like you are a pro yourself, so if I see you out there I'll be sure and introduce myself. Thanks again.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:08 pm

Karen wrote:Oh boy...you NEVER add it up!

You go run your puppy at a walking puppy stake close to home. You get a ribbon, and the judge tells you what a nice little dog you got there, so you do it again, and you get another ribbon. Now your pup is derby age, and you're having a blast...and you get another ribbon. And now you'd sell your soul to start competing with the big dogs! So you FIND $300 or $400 a month to pay a trainer to break your prized puppy for you....and when he/she says your dog is ready, you scrounge together the $50 entry fee, and the dog blows up, so you make sure you have another $400 to pay the trainer another month...and the next time you have $50, you run another trial and get around clean!! WOO HOO! and the 3rd or 4th clean run you have, you get a ribbon!! Now you sell your shotgun so you can pay for more training or entry fees....and you're off and running!!

Welcome to the insanity! :D

LOL :lol: :lol: I figure it takes me 10 entries with one dog to get a placement. It is amazing what we pay to get a stupid ribbon :!: I'm not saying puppy or derby I'm talkin broke dog stakes :!:

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:10 pm

Why did you make me crunch the numbers? Ignorance was bliss!!!

I just looked up the costs for 3 months on the AKC Brit circuit this fall. My dog will most likely run in 4 championships, 1 hour AA trial, 1 weekend 30 minute Amateur trial, Amateur Nationals, and Open Nationals. Total cost will be right around $3000!

My pup has averaged about 1 placement every 3 entry's. Addicting is an understatement!!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:53 am

I have done the math with mine.... The amount of money is secondary to the 30 minute rush when your dog is laying one down, new friends, cool places... I don't know what my ex wife was thinking when she bought me the dog but the obsession was surely a factor in the divorce. Not a bad thing, just a fact.

I wouldn't change a thing about competing with my dog but make sure you look out for the dogs best interest. Not just whatever is convenient for you. Even if it costs more or is a longer drive.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:08 am

I spend less money in a year of field trial run then my buddies spending a month of bow hunting.......that said I had my dog broke by a pro and I do all my own handling.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:28 pm

This topic comes up occasionaly on these boards and people immediately quote what it would cost to run a dog on the major all age circuit. You can certainly be involved in field trials for much less than this. I think you can compete with a dog or two on the 'lower levels' of field trials for about what you would pay to play golf on the weekends.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:08 pm

True Rinker, I dabble in HB, and AA but mostly run walking stakes. This is because that is the dogs I have, and they are best suited for that venue. Weekend stakes can be expensive but are still the least expensive stakes to participate in. :wink:

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:19 pm

rinker wrote:...you can compete with a dog or two on the 'lower levels' of field trials for about what you would pay to play golf on the weekends.
That is exactly why I gave up golf when I started trialing...good analogy. Then save up for a couple CHs and the fun outweighs what you just paid!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:25 pm

PntrRookie wrote:
rinker wrote:...you can compete with a dog or two on the 'lower levels' of field trials for about what you would pay to play golf on the weekends.
That is exactly why I gave up golf when I started trialing...good analogy. Then save up for a couple CHs and the fun outweighs what you just paid!
Don't know from golf. Never played the game.

If you are into walking stakes, the average entry fee is about $50 for a half hour stake. Gas and tolls and an overnight stay if you are running on different days.

If you run in ten trials a year that is on the order of $1000- 1500. Pretty cheap actually. Especially when you compare it to some higher end out of state hunts. Used to be a lot cheaper when gas prices were not out in the stratosphere...but I digress.

The real killer is the time and expense involved in training. However, if you also hunt your dog, you gotta do some of that anyway.

The price of poker does go up when you get into the horseback stuff, but if you have a place to keep a horse in pasture, it really isn't all that bad. Once again it is on the order of $1000 to 1500 in maintenance expenses per year. Most of the horse related equipment espenses are one time costs. On the other hand If you have to board the horse out, you are essentially buying a new horse every year. The thing with keeping horses yourself is that you gotta do for them every single day. In that respect, they are worse than dogs.

RayG
Last edited by RayGubernat on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:29 pm

rinker wrote:This topic comes up occasionaly on these boards and people immediately quote what it would cost to run a dog on the major all age circuit. You can certainly be involved in field trials for much less than this. I think you can compete with a dog or two on the 'lower levels' of field trials for about what you would pay to play golf on the weekends.
Please don't let this post mislead. rinker obviously mis-read your original post. There is no way a pro, with a string of dogs, will train, haul your dog, handle it in a trial, etc for what it costs for a round of golf or two per week.

Even on the very low end, you're looking at $50.00 a week just to train/board your dog plus $50.00 transport fee to and from a trial then at least $100.00 entry fee (a pro with a string ain't going to be hanging out at weekend walking stakes with no payout).

You can play a round of golf for $25.00.

The other posts are much more in line with reality.