Jeep Wranglers and Hunting?????

dreamrr

Post by dreamrr » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:06 pm

I am considering getting a Jeep Wrangler (2 door), however, I am worried that there is just not enough room for all my hunting gear, guns, etc. Does anyone use a Wrangler for hunting? Do you wish you had something else? I'm interested to see if anyone has been able to fit a kennel or dog box in the back seat?

WillieELk78GSP

Re: Jeep Wranglers and Hunting?????

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:38 pm

dreamrr wrote:I am considering getting a Jeep Wrangler (2 door), however, I am worried that there is just not enough room for all my hunting gear, guns, etc. Does anyone use a Wrangler for hunting? Do you wish you had something else? I'm interested to see if anyone has been able to fit a kennel or dog box in the back seat?
I used a wrangler for years, I loved it!!! You can remove the back seat so you can put kennels in there or whatever, I had big game animals on there after hunts worked great. I enjoyed until I sold it! I shouldn't have sold it! It's small enough to go into almost any terrain.

Good luck! !

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:41 pm

We had a CJ 7 . 2 dog crates in the back a couple of shotguns jeep filled up fast, needed more room. We now have a Toyota Tacoma 4 dr. short box 4x4. Serves our needs far better.
Last edited by Ms. Cage on Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:16 pm

I have the newer model which is quite a bit bigger than the old CJ. There is quite a bit of room with the seats removed and you can always get a hitch mounted carrier if you need more room. You can always look at the 4 door as well. I have a Sahara but would never spend the same money on it again. I would get a bare bones Jeep if I got another one. The latest model has a really nice V6, the one in mine is just adequate.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:28 pm

It will work but it is not very easy. I have two dogs now and I'm wondering how I'm gonna transport them come hunting . season. Only one crate will fit in the back and it has to be turned sideways. All the rest of my stuff gets piled in the front seat. So no room for another passenger.

RCB

Post by RCB » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:50 pm

I had a CJ 5 for a long time that I also used when hunting. That jeep could go any where but was very limited on cargo space. I never used the back seat so I took it out and would put an intermediate crate in the back, holding two dogs. Just enough space for the added gear and a small cooler on top. I loved the vehicle but it road pretty rough and as I get older I do not want to put up with that rough ride anymore. However, I keep looking at the 4 door because I just love the way a jeep looks when it is fixed up a bit. The 4 door would have plenty of space with the back seat out.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:31 pm

You could always pull a little cargo trailer.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:06 pm

heck I used to run coyote hounds out of a Suzuki samurai and 42 willys..... you can do anything you want. Personally I'll stick to a full size long bed pickup.

Jim

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:35 am

Mine is a 2006 unlimited 2 door. I think the unlimited "LJ" is about 14 inches longer than the TJ.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:46 am

Side shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:54 am

I'm a big fan of the 04-06 Unlimited's, I'll eventually get one.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:09 am

The 04-06 Rubicon is a probably the best off road vehicle ever made. Dana 44 s instead of the regular 35s,Air locking differentials along with a special crawler type transfer case. We had a new four door and traded it in within a few month's. No power out of the v-6 and horrible mpg. The earlier straight 6 is pretty durable and has decent power and mpg.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:32 am

gotpointers wrote:The 04-06 Rubicon is a probably the best off road vehicle ever made. Dana 44 s instead of the regular 35s,Air locking differentials along with a special crawler type transfer case. We had a new four door and traded it in within a few month's. No power out of the v-6 and horrible mpg. The earlier straight 6 is pretty durable and has decent power and mpg.
For 2012 they replaced the weak V6 with a modern 285hp V6 that makes a huge difference.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:55 am

MonsterDad wrote:
gotpointers wrote:The 04-06 Rubicon is a probably the best off road vehicle ever made. Dana 44 s instead of the regular 35s,Air locking differentials along with a special crawler type transfer case. We had a new four door and traded it in within a few month's. No power out of the v-6 and horrible mpg. The earlier straight 6 is pretty durable and has decent power and mpg.
For 2012 they replaced the weak V6 with a modern 285hp V6 that makes a huge difference.
That's good to hear it was upgraded in the motor compartment, did they work on the death wobble also? Our 04 Rubicon is still here. But the 08 four door I couldint dump it quick enough.

reba

Post by reba » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:23 am

I hunt 3 dogs out of a 2005 Rubicon.

Can't post pictures but here is the set up.

Removed the back seat. Build a drawer that the dogs ride on top of. There is a grill works to keep them out of the front seats. Shotguns ride behind the front seats.

It's a great setup and would be happy to post it with details, if I knew how to post pictures.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:32 am

gotpointers wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:
That's good to hear it was upgraded in the motor compartment, did they work on the death wobble also? Our 04 Rubicon is still here. But the 08 four door I couldint dump it quick enough.
As much as I like my Jeep, when you get you in a Toyota 4 Runner you get the feeling its the last truck you will ever need to buy.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 am

Have to agree on the four runner. My wife has one and it's been a great vehicle. Next one for her will be the four runner. However I find it a bit small up front for my liking. I had a Tundra (07) and it was a total peice of junk. Was constantly in the shop. Feared to take it out of town for it breaking down.

Back to the original Jeep question. I hunted out of a CJ7 for a couple of years. I mainly waterfowl hunt and it was way to small for that. I think there would be better options for a hunting vehicle than a Jeep Wrangler in my opinion. And only based on the amount of stuff you can carry. It's dang near impossible to stick on though!

mister2

Post by mister2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:38 am

Depends if you travel alone or not. For big game hunting, I don't usually hunt alone and there is way too much gear with 2-3 people the jeep could never carry all that. That's just gear, when we get lucky and each get a deer, forget about it. For birds around here, I can fit a large 36" dog kennel in the back seat of my 03 Corolla and that'll go just about anywhere I dare to.

CaptainJackGSP

Post by CaptainJackGSP » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:13 am

I have a 2012 unlimited sahara 4 door - jeep built this speaker/subwoofer box into the back right behind the gate which makes it impossible to put a 2 dog box in there... i have two GSPs... 2 Ruff Tough Kennels intermediate size should fit side by side in the back thought - at least that's my plan.

I definitely need more room though and am considering a GOBI roof rack. This biggest problem with the hitch storage racks is that you will not be able to open the gate with it on and packed - making it impossible to get to your dogs.

If I could do it all over again I would have gotten a Yukon XL.

lowerGSP

Post by lowerGSP » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:53 pm

I have a 2010 that i use for 2 GSP's. I had a yj before this but it was to much work with two dogs, just not enough space for everything. I love everything about this ride except the engine. Of course the doors and top come on for hunting season :D

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:08 pm

For 2012 they replaced the weak V6 with a modern 285hp V6 that makes a huge difference.[/quote]

That's good to hear it was upgraded in the motor compartment, did they work on the death wobble also? Our 04 Rubicon is still here. But the 08 four door I couldint dump it quick enough.[/quote]

As much as I like my Jeep, when you get you in a Toyota 4 Runner you get the feeling its the last truck you will ever need to buy.[/quote]

I agree with you completely. The two jeep purchases were more of my wife's influence. My dog wagon is a completely original 140,000 mile 85 4runner since it's the only year that had the straight axle up front along with the fuel injected motor. Plenty of room for four and plenty of dog's and gear. 20 mpg and the a/c still works. Really slow on the freeway but off-road it's awesome. I need to invest in some newer stock Toyota wheels, good mud tires, air lockers and engine performance. upgrades.
What year is your 4 runner?

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:42 pm

+1 On the 04-06 Rubicon Unlimited, but unless your rock crawling and want 35's and bigger tires you really don't need the Rubicon. The unlimited non Rubicon comes with Dana 44 in the rear and Dana 30 up front. If you want your front locked just buy some lunchbox lockers ($300), so much cheaper. I have friends that run 35's with the front dana 30 with lockers and they wheel a lot harder than me with no problem. I would say you'll spend $3500-$5000 more for a Rubicon. I can take 2 medium plastic kennels in mine with the rear seat out and gear. If I have the back seat in both my dogs can fit with out kennel and I just throw my guns in the back seat.

It's hard to beat hunting out of the Jeep with top and doors off :D . Good luck

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:02 pm

gotpointers wrote:For 2012 they replaced the weak V6 with a modern 285hp V6 that makes a huge difference.
That's good to hear it was upgraded in the motor compartment, did they work on the death wobble also? Our 04 Rubicon is still here. But the 08 four door I couldint dump it quick enough.[/quote]

As much as I like my Jeep, when you get you in a Toyota 4 Runner you get the feeling its the last truck you will ever need to buy.[/quote]

I agree with you completely. The two jeep purchases were more of my wife's influence. My dog wagon is a completely original 140,000 mile 85 4runner since it's the only year that had the straight axle up front along with the fuel injected motor. Plenty of room for four and plenty of dog's and gear. 20 mpg and the a/c still works. Really slow on the freeway but off-road it's awesome. I need to invest in some newer stock Toyota wheels, good mud tires, air lockers and engine performance. upgrades.
What year is your 4 runner?[/quote]

I don't own a 4 Runner but I have been in several from brand new 2013 to 15 years old at least and everything still works and nobody has ever done anything but put tires and brake pads on them. I had a Toyota Landcruiser from about 1989 - 2003 and if I could have it back I would pay more than what I sold it for. I bought that new when I started working.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:25 pm

I used a jeep for a few years and as far as dog transportation goes i thought it was horrible. My dogs were big swimmers and also liked to roll in crap, does it ever suck having them inside the cab after that. Room was way to small and the interior was stinking pretty bad in no time. I use a Tundra now with a cap, hold 6 dogs no problem and even gets better mileage. I could never go back to a Jeep or SUV type vehicle. Just my 2 cents

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:29 pm

Wife has a new 4-door Sahara...she loves it..I hate it. Don't kid yourself thinking the 4-door is spacious...it is not...the ride sucks...I'm old and like a nice ride etc..thought we should have gotten an Edge or better yet a Yukon but nooooo

Would HATE having it as only vehicle for dog games/hunting...just me driving and pup sitting in the passenger seat or in the back outside of kennel for a quick trip..that'd be cool in the right landscape but outside of that..no way!!

Troy08er...that's a great pic of pups in the back!

CaptainJack...ours is also a '12 unlimited Sahara...I have an intermediate ruff-tuff kennel for our one Shorthair...two kennels would not fit however that is with the seats folded down...maybe I should pull those seats out.

We were actually going to buy a '11 but it was a dog and we knew the 2012 model came with an engine change...huge difference!!

I'm glad I have my full size crew cab Sierra :)

dreamrr

Post by dreamrr » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks for all the response and input; it has been helpful.

I think I am going to go with the 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4-door). I went to the dealership and put my dog kennel in the back; it was large enough for me. I am excited to be able to go hunting this season with the top off and be able to drive anywhere!!! Maybe I will finally be able to find that spot where all the birds hang out!!! :mrgreen:

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:08 am

dreamrr wrote:Thanks for all the response and input; it has been helpful.

I think I am going to go with the 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4-door). I went to the dealership and put my dog kennel in the back; it was large enough for me. I am excited to be able to go hunting this season with the top off and be able to drive anywhere!!! Maybe I will finally be able to find that spot where all the birds hang out!!! :mrgreen:

Get back with us in Feb, after hunting season, and let us know how it worked out for ya..... I bet if your honest with yourself you wont be as excited by then.

Jim

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:39 pm

dreamrr wrote:Thanks for all the response and input; it has been helpful.

Nice

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:02 pm

You get good mpg with them?? If you only get 17 mpg I'd rather have a full size pickupand twice the room. But that's just me.

dreamrr

Post by dreamrr » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:54 am

Wranglers do not get good MPG. 15-16 MPG... but their off road capabilities are unmatched!

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:12 pm

dreamrr wrote:Wranglers do not get good MPG. 15-16 MPG... but their off road capabilities are unmatched!
maybe some of the older wranglers, before they were marketed to soccer moms and cheerleaders.

Jim

BayouSlide

Post by BayouSlide » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:03 am

dreamrr wrote:Wranglers do not get good MPG. 15-16 MPG... but their off road capabilities are unmatched!
That MPG seems a tad on the low side for the average modern Jeep...I get a mile or two better than that with a Rubicon with low-range Rock-Trac transmission.

Unless you need/want a Jeep for its off-road abilities on the trails, a pickup is probably be more practical. But who's practical :lol:

Can't beat a Jeep for exploring the back country in Colorado and Utah.

Curtis

dreamrr

Post by dreamrr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:07 am

Well, I'm officially a Jeep owner! I bought one yesterday!
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4 door. It has a 4" teraflex lift with fox shocks on 35" Mickey Thompsons! On board C02 tank, smittybuilt bumpers with winch. HIDs all around. Navigation, leather, fully loaded!

I'm glad to be a part of this Jeep world!