Scared to Death

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Scared to Death

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:14 pm

I've had a new pup for a week.My 11 year old setter is scared to death of him... tembling, panting. She's been hiding out in the basement, trying to dig under the fence etc. I've tried to give her as much personal space as possible. Is this common? She's never ever been a problem of any kind. Have others experienced this?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Scared to Death

Post by polmaise » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:30 pm

search 'Crate training a puppy'.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:41 pm

That's not the problem. At 9 weeks he is using the dog door consistently and sleeping in his crate all night with no noise or accidents. He can't stay in his crate 24/7 :) What I'm asking is if other folks have had this experience with an older dog.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:45 pm

when i brought my pup home, my 6 year old pit mix who is afraid of everything did the same thing. After about 2 weeks, she figured my pup wasnt going anywhere and at started to accept it. I didnt do anything else besides make them spend some time together. Hope all works out for you.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Sharon wrote:That's not the problem. At 9 weeks he is using the dog door consistently and sleeping in his crate all night with no noise or accidents. He can't stay in his crate 24/7 :) What I'm asking is if other folks have had this experience with an older dog.
Yup!,and I'm trying to help for 'Free'!!! Or would you rather I send an invoice to make it more valuable?..
But you have to do your bit?
I was talking about the Older dog ,for the crate training?.. Hmmm?.....Kinda like a safe place?..after all them 11 years of not having this ball of fire 'in it's space'?..perhaps?
..So maybe a few hours in that space with that new ball of fire's scent ain't a bad thing after all?...Of course I could be absolutely wrong!!! and your 11 year old is just plain crazy? :)
therefore go see a trainer in these matters !..

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:01 pm

polmaise wrote:
Sharon wrote:That's not the problem. At 9 weeks he is using the dog door consistently and sleeping in his crate all night with no noise or accidents. He can't stay in his crate 24/7 :) What I'm asking is if other folks have had this experience with an older dog.
Yup!,and I'm trying to help for 'Free'!!! Or would you rather I send an invoice to make it more valuable?..
I was talking about the Older dog ,for the crate training?.. Hmmm?.....Kinda like a safe place?..after all them 11 years of not having this ball of fire 'in it's space'?..perhaps?
..So maybe a few hours in that space with that new ball of fire's scent ain't a bad thing after all?...Of course I could be absolutely wrong!!! and your 11 year old is just plain crazy? :)
Wow, who pissed in your haggis?!

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:11 pm

It's only been a week. Id try to incorporate something that both of them like (ball, wing, etc), but not force anything on either one. Dogs are amazing animals and generally tend to work things out.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:26 pm

dog dr wrote:

Wow, who pissed in your haggis?!
Wow! that woke Y'all Up?. :wink: :lol:
For a minute there I thought someone was working a ferret?
The OP , Is 'Scared to Death'! :mrgreen:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:08 pm

polmaise wrote:
LOL Grrrrrrrr.. Been training setters a long time. The 11 year old uses her crate regularly. Always a good idea to read a person's question carefully. :) I asked " Has anyone else had this experience?" Thank you B berry.

PS It's the 11 year old who is scared to death not the owner. :roll:

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:18 pm

with nearly 5,000 posts on your profile,I would have thought you had been around the block a few times!
I only ever answer here ,or in life from the 'dog's point of view'! I'll sit back and watch what you get for your dog. That should save all them Grrr's.
hope you get a peaceful resolution. atb.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:39 pm

Sharon is a VERY knowledgeable dog owner and trainer and she wouldn't post unless she had exhausted all the "easy" options. She has "been around the block a few times" and is a very competent gun dog trainer - not to mention how helpful she is to poor dumb novices like myself. I think you need to think more before posting Robt, and ease up on the sarcasm as it can come across poorly (as it did on another forum not too far back).

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Have had my new pup almost 4 weeks with my 12 year old GSP. The old guy is putting up with him better. He wasnt scared of him, just avoided him at first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

benelli

Post by benelli » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:47 pm

When we got our GSP a little over a year ago, the first time we went to my parents' house their older dog (actually the dog I got in high school ...) was terrified of the puppy. He's a VERY timid/subordinate dog by nature. At my parents' house dogs stay in a 20'x24' pen during the day (they run loose in the backyard at night), so the puppy and the older dog (11 years old) were forced to learn how to tolerate each other. I forget how long it took, maybe a few days, but now the older dog just quietly avoids the GSP, and the GSP isn't interested in the older dog at all (pesters him occasionally, but really just finds him boring). My parents do have a German Shepherd who I think is more interesting for the GSP to play with; if the German Shepherd wasn't there, the GSP would probably be more persistent in bugging the older dog.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but that's how things worked out in our situation. We more or less just let the dogs work things out on their own.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:26 pm

dog dr wrote: Wow, who pissed in your haggis?!
Does that make it taste better?

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:22 pm

roaniecowpony wrote:
dog dr wrote: Wow, who pissed in your haggis?!
Does that make it taste better?
:lol: :lol: :lol: iam sure it couldn't hurt!. Iam from the South and I think I'd pass on that dish!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:40 pm

benelli wrote:When we got our GSP a little over a year ago, the first time we went to my parents' house their older dog (actually the dog I got in high school ...) was terrified of the puppy. He's a VERY timid/subordinate dog by nature. At my parents' house dogs stay in a 20'x24' pen during the day (they run loose in the backyard at night), so the puppy and the older dog (11 years old) were forced to learn how to tolerate each other. I forget how long it took, maybe a few days, but now the older dog just quietly avoids the GSP, and the GSP isn't interested in the older dog at all (pesters him occasionally, but really just finds him boring). My parents do have a German Shepherd who I think is more interesting for the GSP to play with; if the German Shepherd wasn't there, the GSP would probably be more persistent in bugging the older dog.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but that's how things worked out in our situation. We more or less just let the dogs work things out on their own.

Very interesting/helpful. Thank you.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Sharon wrote:I've had a new pup for a week.My 11 year old setter is scared to death of him... tembling, panting. She's been hiding out in the basement, trying to dig under the fence etc. I've tried to give her as much personal space as possible. Is this common? She's never ever been a problem of any kind. Have others experienced this?
How does she react to other strange dogs? Maybe she senses being replaced? I had a Chessie that acted very negative toward a new pup once. Of course he was actually replaced. I gave him to my brother a few months later. :lol:

Nate

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:25 pm

LOL That's hilarious.
She's always been a very gentle , submissive , sensitive dog but great hunter. Things are a LITTLE better. I wish she'd just turn around and bite pup in the "bleep" when he harasses her, but I know that isn't going to happen. No replacement planned. :)