GMC AWD Van?

roaniecowpony

GMC AWD Van?

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:57 am

I have always had 4wd fullsize trucks. With the two dogs, I'm thinking an AWD Savana (fullsize) 1500 van might give more usable room. EPA mileage rating is 13 city, 17 hwy.

Anyone have any experience with vans and this AWD option?

duckn66

Re: GMC AWD Van?

Post by duckn66 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:02 am

Only downside to this would be if your dog rolled in something dead or got hit by a skunk as someone on here pointed out to me a while back. Other than that I think a van would make the ultimate hunting vehicle. I'm not sure how much abuse one could take on rough roads.

Sorry that's really all I have to add, no experience with a van.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:26 pm

I have a chevy astro van with a two dog box that I built and I love it, it may not be the coolist ride,but I love it and the dog stays warm in the winter and cool in the summer when we travel, they made them in awd if I could find a nice one of them I would be all over it. i'm going to upset when my van dies because they don't make that model anymore, with all the rear seats out I can haul 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, although its a mini van its is built on a chassis like a small pick up has, i'm go sure how new of a rig your looking for but a astro van works nice for hauling a couple dogs and gear, I bet that full size van wood be just as nice other then it may not get as good of gas mileage as the astro which isn't that great either

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:47 pm

Just to add a bit. The fullsize vans are built on the truck chassis & suspension. The driveline is the Denali truck AWD system, minus the bigger engine.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Stupid question, but why not just buy an SUV instead? What's the advantage of an AWD Van? There are tons of well priced used Suburbans/Tahoes that would get as good of mileage if not better.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:35 pm

The SUVs and trucks are many thousands of $ more. On average, the trucks are probably $7-8K more and the SUVs can be another $8-10k more on top of a truck. Vans are the cheapest and are based on the same chassis. I'm also looking at the volume and the heated/AC compartment for the dogs.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:48 pm

Two boost that fuel mileage get one with the Duramax.
then you have it all.

deke

Post by deke » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:51 pm

There is a company out of Florida I believe that is selling used Tahoe's with the duramax swap. Supposedly they get around 23 mpg, and they are not much more expensive then the trucks. Right around the $30,000.00 mark if I remember the article correctly.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Unfortunately, the AWD is only available in the 1500 model 5.3 engine, no diesel. And no conventional 4wd with the 2 speed transfer case and 2wd mode, just the silly "AWD" system which is a non-disengaging front axle and a single speed transfer case.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:30 pm

On the diesels, I could never justify a Duramax just for better mileage/$ savings. The diesel is $7100 more. But now that diesel fuel is closer to gasoline, it's probably workable again. When it was $5 for diesel and $4 for gas, you just can't find the value in the $7K additional cost for the engine.

Duckdog

Post by Duckdog » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:11 pm

My biggest concern would be that if it's listed as 13/17 mpg...
It's probably way worse.
That's about what I get in my 2004 full sized-2500-crew cab-4x4-silverado-6.0-with a camper shell.
And fuel costs are quite costly during the fall and winter.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:21 pm

I've been thinking about the full-size cargo van option myself. Meantime, I inherited a decent Ford Windstar. With all the seats removed, it's quite roomy. For hauling one or both dogs around, I sometimes find it more convenient than the pickup. I'm thinking of throwing a foam mattress and sleeping bag in the back, and using it to travel to some out-of-town tests and trials, or maybe even a hunt trip.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Consider a used hyundai Santa fe. Fits two dog boxes in back with rear seats still up and is less expensive than other SUV. I get about 23 hay and 19 going up/down the mountain daily. I can fit 3 dogs and two passengers in a pinch but gets tight on luggage space. Loaded Roof rack drops fuel Eco to about 19 HWY.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Just saw something that some might find interesting. It was a Nissan NV2500. it is basically a tradesman's type van. It comes in a high roof option that you can actually walk around in. All kinds of powertrain options. You could put a six intermediate kennels and a ton of gear in one of those and probably still have room for a cot. I think it has a decent towing capacity also.

If I didn't have to haul horses, I'd be looking at an extended cab small truck, like the old Ford Ranger or the old Mazda B2000. You can keep all your gear in the cab where it is dry and safe and the dogs in the back under a cap. Seal up the holes in the truck bed, and put a strip or carpet where the tailgate meets the bed so no exhaust gets up in there and you are good to go. With a sliding rear window and a boot you can send AC back there in the summer and heat in the winter. You can, alternatively, run 12V, or using an inverter, even 110 back to the truck bed for whatever power accessories you desire. They are super economical to run with their little four bangers. If one of the hounds gets into it with a skunk or some smelly dead stuff, you don't have to gag and choke all the way home.

RayG

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Ray,
I saw those NV2500 Nissan's too. My friend is a supplier to Nissan USA and makes some parts for the cargo racks in the interior. Great size and options. The downside is that it's not available in 4wd. But a couple outfits do convert them. It's pretty pricey for Sportsmobile conversion. Just the 4wd conversion is about 12k. That's why I was looking at the Savana AWD.

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:39 pm

I've been hunting out of two wheel vans with a locker installed in the rear end no other vehicle is a handy for a bird dog guy and you can make a nice simple camper out of them

Buy used conversion vans theres a lot of good deals

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Just my opinion, but I hated my van. I have been uber happy with the Tahoe and middle of the road happy with the Expedition. If I had to choose again today, the Tahoe all the way - about 18mpg on trips, a little lower than that when we're pulling the dog trailer. Great clearance. We bought ours used for $10,000 and it had right around 100,000 on it I believe - we have put another almost 200,000 on it - with only minor repairs (fuel pump was the only big thing). It still runs to this day at 298,000 miles. I love it. We are fans of buying used with about 100,000 miles on them - my hubby's truck is at a little over 300,000 now. We drive the heck out of them and have had very good luck with used vehicles.