young pigeon help

Tika V

young pigeon help

Post by Tika V » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:38 am

I have a young squab that is about 16 days old that has fallen out of the nest onto the floor will the parents still feed it? i only have a few birds to work with and would really like this guy to make it. he has a fair amount of feathers coming in and has covered his head and wings a bit but still has bald patch in places like under the wings and such. This is the first time doing the pigeon thing so any advise would be great.

Maurice

Re: young pigeon help

Post by Maurice » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:01 am

Most of mine that do that end up making it. The parent birds will continue to feed it.. I am glad to hear that Tika is doing well. You will have to watch out for hawks when you start flying the young pigeons. You will probably end up with more pigeons than you want next year but they are a fun hobby too.

Mo

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:51 am

I would put him back in the nest if you have done so already. I don't know what your loft looks like, but often times, another cock will come and scalp the crap out of that chick. It looks pretty ugly sometimes.

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:01 am

Listen to John.. He is a real pigeon guy.. I just get by with my pigeons that I use for training.

Mo

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 am

Yup I have had 2 chicks beat up, one recovered one did not.

Tika V

Post by Tika V » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:47 am

ok guys thanks so much.
Mo i am finding them to be fun. Never imagined id have a pigeon coop in my back yard.
For the love of our dogs...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Tika V wrote:ok guys thanks so much.
Mo i am finding them to be fun. Never imagined id have a pigeon coop in my back yard.
For the love of our dogs...
Put it back if you want. I usually put mine on the floor when they are two weeks old. never had trouble with anyone picking on them unless there are pigeons nesting on the floor. Depends a lot on how crowded your birds are. Advantage of being on the floor is they aren't messing up their nesting area any more and other pigeons will help feed them. Then anytime after 3 weeks they are weaned and but in their own loft. After a few days in their own loft the traps are left open so they can get out when they feel comfortable.

Ezzy