Sad Day

Preacher
Location: Strongs, MI (15 miles past the middle of nowhere), in da U.P. eh

Sad Day

Post by Preacher » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:24 pm

My dog died today. Since I usually talked to him about painful things I am feeling very empty tonight. He was going to be only a year old at the month. He had so much promise... He was so loving, good with the family, and a great friend.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Sad Day

Post by BigShooter » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. How did he die?

carnage1990

Post by carnage1990 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:52 pm

So sorry for your loss. I have had my first dog for only 7 months and can't even imagine the pain. They truly do become family. Prayers from Pennsylvania

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Very sorry for your loss. Especially hard when they leave so young with so much promise.

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Sorry for you loss...

What happeded so young ? ?

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:30 am

The how is something that adds to the pain. Like we have done at lease 100 times before we were out for a run. Unfortunately I am not athletic enough to give proper exercise to this energetic pup. So I would take him out on a two-track, and drive while he ran like the wind. Normally he would run in front of me and loved to do this. Yesterday I was on a different track which was much bumpier than normal and had to go slower. Apparently I was going too slow and he came back to check on me, and I didn't see him... I killed him... I keep hoping that I will wake up and find this is one terrible nightmare.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:52 am

sorry for your loss
cc

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:05 pm

So sorry to hear that preacher. Try not to beat yourself up over it. Unfortunately, accidents happen and IMO, the best therapy would be to get another puppy, with proper research ofcourse.
Most of us have been there in one way or another so we understand what you are feeling.

Sincerely,
Charlie

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Preacher
I am so terribly sorry to hear of your loss. Sporting dogs engaged in what they were bred to do are always at some risk. We can never guarantee their safety and I hope you find some solace and peace in spite of what happened. That pup would have rather been doing what it was doing than lying on the couch...
Remember that all dogs go to heaven
Joe

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Very Very sorry to hear about this. I know it is gut wrenching and grieving is a good thing. Like a comedian once said (in a non funny moment) a new puppy heals the heart. :(

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:24 pm

I'm sorry for your loss.
I don't mean to add to your pain, but came someone explain what a two-track is? Some type of roading gear?

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:47 pm

SpinoneIllinois wrote:I'm sorry for your loss.
I don't mean to add to your pain, but came someone explain what a two-track is? Some type of roading gear?
An unmaintained road. Usually found in a field or pasture.

What a sad story. Sorry for the loss Preacher.
I agree with AZ. I think a new pup is the best medicine.

Nate

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:45 pm

I am so so sorry. :( So hard. You story strikes a very sad chord with me.
Several years ago I was running a special young dog on a similar type of road. He was full of promise and joy. I heard another vehicle approaching and called him back. The vehichle was HUGE telephone repair truck and was going MUCH faster that I expected on that road. The pup came running back and was hit and killed instantly right in front of me. He probably would have been fine if I had not called him back because that truck would have been long gone, as fast as it was going. I replayed that awful descision so often. It is a memory that I would gladly erase from my brain if that were possible. :cry:
Sharing the story seemed to help a bit for me, but still the memory is there.
My heart reaches out to you. I know it sounds maybe silly, but I truly believe that if your dog could reach down to you from heaven while he waits on you, he would lick you and try his hardest to tell you it was an accident and nothing more. I also believe that heaven is not my perfect place without the dogs sharing it with me. They will be waiting on me with waggin tails and it will be happy happy day with lots of muddy paws.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:07 am

I am at a loss for words and so sorry this happened to you and pup.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:22 pm

So so sorry...I can't even begin to imagine how bad you feel...As said already at least your dog was doing what he enjoyed. Wish there were some magic words to help you feel better.

:cry:

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I think the thing that hurts the most is that in my line of work people lay a lot of heavy issues on me and I am constantly under a microscope, and that little pup was always there for me, accepting me as I am, listening to the confidential stuff that I can not tell anyone else. I don't think a new puppy will be happening any time soon as we don't make a very good living. Gauge (that was my dogs name) was a very generous gift from some good friends.

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:33 pm

So sorry for your loss. :cry: Losing a old dog is hard enough let alone a pup.

armand

Post by armand » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:25 pm

very sorry for your loss.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:30 pm

I wish I could help out in some way. BTDT, watched a 1 year old get hit in my driveway by a neighbor wasnt paying attention to the road. Verred into the dog, had to bury my friend that day. Sucks and the empty time dont help. So sorry for your loss.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:48 pm

About 3 years ago I lost a dog in a freak accident. Still grieving.

A friend did as well a few months back. Fortunately I had a litter on the ground at the time, I was able to just give him one of the pups.

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:47 am

I know that I do not post much here, basically because I am new to raising and trying to train a gundog (I have had other breeds before), and though you may not know it I read just about every post made, and have found so much great information. That probably puts me as a bit of a lurker, but even so, over the past few days I have felt supported by this group of people in ways I never thought. Thank you all so much. I know that this pain will not go away soon, but am encouraged to be a part of this group through this process.