picking a breed

arutch

picking a breed

Post by arutch » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:35 pm

hi, im aaron im just joined this forum but i have a good question.
i am 16 in a month i love to hunt and fish and be out doors. i mainly hunt white tail and my friend has slowly been getting me into duck hunting.
i have been looking a dogs for hunting my dad who brought me into hunting has bred labs and goldens and has trained his fair share but id like to try a new breed.
i know a guy who has had two deutsch drahthaar and loves them and i have been looking at them constantly and reading about them and they seem like great dog for just everything. ive never pheasant hunted but i would love to try and and even have a dog that could point. and a dog that pretty much does it all wow. ill get to my question now but could i train a deutsch drahtaar at 16 with little experience? i want a dog that is mine and a hunting dog and really a companion. right now my dad and i have a rescued golden but he is in no way shape or form a retriever or hunting dog really, by the time we rescued he was well past the training stage so really i want a dog that will hunt with me. something about the drahts i like there different with there beards and golden eyes i just want one. i would train it play with it hunt with it. i want a dog that is going to be there with me and have fun in the outdoors like i do. could a draht be what im looking for? could i successfully train a draht and have a good dog or no should i look at a different breed? im located in dallas texas.

does anyone know a good or average cost for a DD?

Thanks!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: picking a breed

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:06 am

Aaron,

Not sayin' they aren't the breed for you - but the ones I've been around seem to have some issues with the heat. That would be a negative in my mind for where you live.

Here's what I'd do in your shoes. Get out and find a club that trains birddogs around your area - like a NAVHDA - they'll have multiple breeds you can look at. I'd attend a training day or two with them. Then I'd go to a few events (hunt test or field trials - whatever). After I'd done all of that (that'll take you a few months likely) - then I'd start talking to those guys about what breed I'm most interested in. I'd ask them questions like what are the best and worst things about your breed. I'd question several folks with different breeds you're interested in. After I'd done this research - then I'd start asking around for GOOD litters. By then - you're looking at a spring puppy - you should have saved up some funds for purchasing a puppy.

You're going to have this dog for the next 15 years or so - like you'll be 30 by the time it dies - make a well-informed choice for you by looking at some of the alternatives. If you're planning to go to college - what happens to your dog?

Good luck finding the "perfect" breed FOR YOU!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:41 am

Hey Aaron:
Welcome aboard.
A DD will do all you want.
A Pudel pointer will do what you want.
The key is go to breeders the train in and use their dogs for what you like to do.
Watch them work, meaning the parents.

Join NAVHDA, there is all kinds of help there. Read and learn about your breed all the good and bad. Look into the NAVHDA scores AND FIND THE BREEDERS THAT THOSE DOGS CAME FROM.

That will give you a good head start on having a pup from capable and trainable dogs.

Read about the training, learn about NAVHDA, be patient and constitant. Start the pup out right. DD's can be slower to start pointing,,not all, but just be ready for that.

Where are you from?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:18 am

The easy choice is a field bred spaniel (preferably English cocker) Lol

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:35 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:The easy choice is a field bred spaniel (preferably English cocker) Lol
Except the OP said he'd like a dog that points. :?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:54 am

I think the hardest thing for humans to get by training a dog is not to overthink the process. Good luck to you.

arutch

Post by arutch » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:08 am

Ruffshooter wrote:
Where are you from?
Dallas, if i would go to training days who do i go to what to i do. would they help someone who knows little about training?

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:11 am

x2 on visiting your local NAVHDA, you you should be able to see a number of different breeds, you will also see what folks local to you are running. As much as I love my Large Munsterlander my next dog will come from the best litter I can find, of a number of breeds that fit the same sort of form factor as the LM

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:43 am

I would think a shorthair would fit the bill well in Texas. We waterfowl them on tne eastcoast with no problems in texas with it being warmer i would think they would be hard beat on fowl. Besides there personlity are second to none

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:31 am

Hattrick wrote:I would think a shorthair would fit the bill well in Texas. We waterfowl them on tne eastcoast with no problems in texas with it being warmer i would think they would be hard beat on fowl. Besides there personlity are second to none
+1

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:29 am

I have never been to Texas but I think a German Shorthair would be better suited to the heat there.

Bill T.

Muygrande

Post by Muygrande » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:43 am

You are in luck, The Texas Navhda chapter is having testing days on October 19-20 not far from the DFW area. Should be a good group of versatile dogs for you to take a look at.

http://www.texasnavhda.org/

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:41 pm

Dallas. I agree. The GSP would hold up better. I love my GSP's. They are very good duck dogs. Mr. Rose down there has great dogs.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:00 pm

Unfortunately the closest NAVHDA chapters are in San Antonio and Houston neither of which is very local to you.

As for breeds, while I agree that a GSP might be a better choice than a DD, I believe there are better breeds for a young, first time gun dog owner.

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Brazos, what pointing breeds would you suggest for a first time owner? Just curious because I've never heard that before.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:23 pm

GSP if you gotta foul or fowl. Pointer if you just want dry birds.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:50 pm

As an EP man, it pains me to say this, but I have to recommend a GSP.

Felicia will never let me live that down...

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:52 pm

I learned to train with an EP, I don't think breed matters much for as far as ability to train, if you have the right mindset.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:21 am

Muygrande wrote:You are in luck, The Texas Navhda chapter is having testing days on October 19-20 not far from the DFW area. Should be a good group of versatile dogs for you to take a look at.

http://www.texasnavhda.org/
This is a great way to see different dogs and talk with the owners. Just because there is not a club close to you doesn't mean there are not members that live close that you could get together with to train.

big swill

Post by big swill » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Do a lot of research. A few months ago I purposely asked a question very similar to yours, knowing I would get a ton of responses as to why I should get this breed or that. You're probably getting a butt load of PM's right now telling you that if you decide on this breed or that breed this is the breeder they recommend, etc. etc. That's all good because there are some very helpful folks on here and that's how I found my breeder after I made a decision on a breed. But NOTHING takes the place of research. While some dogs may be exactly what you're looking for in many ways they may not fit into the dynamic at home the best. figure out exactly what you want in a dog (which can be hard if you've not owned that many) and don't compromise. Get a dog that matches your experience level as well. Some dogs, not breeds, but some dogs can be more than you can deal with if you don't have some experience under your belt. I can't agree more with the folks who have suggested going to some trials in your area. I got the same advice from folks on here and did just that. I got to see several breeds, meet nice people, make new friends, and had a great time. Sometimes what you think you want doesn't fit so well after doing the footwork on the different breeds. But that's okay, too. Just take your time and enjoy the process. You'll be glad you did.