Who makes the best dog box?

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Looking to get a different dog box. Who do you guys think makes the best box?

Jiminla

Re: Who makes the best dog box?

Post by Jiminla » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:21 pm

If possible, try to find someone that can weld and fabricate aluminum. Tell them the dimensions you want and the look. You would be way better off. Mine was made without a floor and it sits on the rubber mat in truck bed. All the welds are solid and if you happen to drop it, you can't hurt it. It's a two dog box and pretty light to handle. He even welded some handles on top. 450.00 was well worth it. Nice looks and will outlast that cheap crap on the market. Look at the corners on those Diamond boxes after they have been mishandled a few times. Just my observation, because my brother learned his lesson.

ranmcc

Post by ranmcc » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:58 pm

I bought a Diamond dog box special made because I have a medium size truck. They will make to your design.
The only thing I would have changed is to have a hinged top lid so I could open it for easy clean out.
It is made in Denton, NC. Check on line for their prices. Good box with insulated top and sides. Good ventalition
slides on the side that open and close.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm with Jimina, I made my own because that's what I do for a living work with metal,this one has 140k miles of riding on the back of the truck.

Pretty slick pop top camper modification I did for my buddy,tore out the dinette,installed boxes and made a bunk on top of them.
Jiminla wrote:If possible, try to find someone that can weld and fabricate aluminum. Tell them the dimensions you want and the look. You would be way better off. Mine was made without a floor and it sits on the rubber mat in truck bed. All the welds are solid and if you happen to drop it, you can't hurt it. It's a two dog box and pretty light to handle. He even welded some handles on top. 450.00 was well worth it. Nice looks and will outlast that cheap crap on the market. Look at the corners on those Diamond boxes after they have been mishandled a few times. Just my observation, because my brother learned his lesson.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:12 pm

MTK and Deerskin

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:12 am

birddog1968 wrote:MTK and Deerskin
I haven't purchased one yet, but looking to pull the trigger on a mountain top that i had quoted in the future. Ainsley also gets a lot of good reviews. Check out the retriever forums, there is a lot of good Info on them regarding dog boxes.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:55 am

Ive got a deercreek, Im pretty happy with. I called them and told them what I wanted and it was done in a couple weeks. I needed a box with shorter dimensions so I could use it in conjunction with a gooseneck trailer.

Since they are somewhat local I was able to go and see their shop and pick it up. Im sure my next one will come from them also.

Jim

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:06 pm

cmc274 wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:MTK and Deerskin
I haven't purchased one yet, but looking to pull the trigger on a mountain top that i had quoted in the future. Ainsley also gets a lot of good reviews. Check out the retriever forums, there is a lot of good Info on them regarding dog boxes.
I had a 1996 5 hole deerskin, loved it, had to sell it because it was just too big to work with my gooseneck hitch, and too big to bother taking on and off. The dogs and I miss that box, sold it last year and besides the steel rack on top it was perfect shape. Im sure ainsley are great boxes but if I pulled the trigger again on a premium quality box I think I'd go deerskin again.... MTK's are super nice too and closer for us east coast guys.

trophytimegundogs

Post by trophytimegundogs » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:24 pm

I think Owens makes a pretty darn good dog box. Rugged Construction, great latches, and hinges. Also lots of options to choose
from depending on your dog and your vehicle and climate. Owens has storage options on top or a bottom drawer which is very
nice to have. The good news about buying a quality dog box is it will hold it's re-sale value if at some time you want to
upgrade, trade-up or trade-out or you go from a one-hole to two-hole or three-hole dog box.

Here is the thing, you can make one yourself for sure. If you make it out of wood, eventually it will rot or get loose from the stresses
and forces involved in transport and exposure to weather conditions. You could make one out of aluminum, again it depends on
your expertise and welding and fabricating. You could try looking for a used aluminum dog box they come available from time to time.
It is really just a matter of priorities, choices and finances. You kinda get what you pay for when it comes to dog boxes.

I hope this helps.

Josh Tucker
Trophy Time Gun Dogs
http://www.trophytimegundogs.com/
Authorized Owens Distributor
Authorized DT Systems Distributor

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:51 pm

I went with the diamond deluxe 2 hole with top storage. No wood all welded aluminum. I'm very pleased with it. 100 lbs. way lighter than my old box.

Mike

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:24 am

I love my Owens box. very well made.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:55 am

IMO, Ainley out of Iowa.
They can also custom make anything you need.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:02 pm

I have a heritage 2 hole with top storage. Good looking box at ten feet. But it's just a plywood box with a pretty skin. Heavy and I'm eventually going to have to replace the floor. I'd rather have just a solid aluminum diamond plate box like I on my dog/ utv trailer.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Del Lolo wrote:IMO, Ainley out of Iowa.
They can also custom make anything you need.
Any box company will custom make anything you want......

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:19 am

gotpointers wrote:I have a heritage 2 hole with top storage. Good looking box at ten feet. But it's just a plywood box with a pretty skin. Heavy and I'm eventually going to have to replace the floor. I'd rather have just a solid aluminum diamond plate box like I on my dog/ utv trailer.
Check out diamond deluxe dog boxes. No wood at all ,solid aluminum. I got the 46x46x24 it weighs 100 lbs

Finelinegundogs

Post by Finelinegundogs » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:26 pm

You can search my posts and see the one's I am building. I've had or seen most every top brand out there and can tell you none come close to these. They are 100% stainless, tig welded...not riveted and build to last you as long as you can hunt. I am getting ready to do a run of 2 hole boxes to be ready next month (fully insulated, top storage, built in water tank, louvers). Pm for more info if you are interested.