Pigeon help in low country of SC

redman25

Pigeon help in low country of SC

Post by redman25 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:23 am

Need a little help locating anyone who can help me with some birds in the Charleston or surrounding area in SC. Ready to get a coop started and trapping has proven difficult. Any help at all is appreciated.

ranmcc

Re: Pigeon help in low country of SC

Post by ranmcc » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:45 am

I am in the Pee Dee area of SC between Bennettsville and Dillon SC. I usually pick up pigeons from other folks with birddogs or trainers that have pigeons. I found that the best birds due to disease are crosses between homing pigeons and barnyard pigeons. Check on google for homer pigeons I am sure there are folks down there that race pigeons and you can pick up some culls. I use to just check with farmers around here and climb up in their barns at night and get them with a net and flashlight, but I am getting to old to be climbing up in barns.

I have a pigeon trap but have never been successful in using it.

I usually only have one young dog a year so I usally only keep three to six pigeons as they eat alot. Don't have any to spare right now.

There should be plenty of folks with pigeons around Charleston. There is a big pigeon supply house in Savannah so they may be able to put you on some folks in the Charleston area.

germandogs12

Post by germandogs12 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:07 am

redman25 wrote:Need a little help locating anyone who can help me with some birds in the Charleston or surrounding area in SC. Ready to get a coop started and trapping has proven difficult. Any help at all is appreciated.
I live in the Charleston area and am looking as well. I am probably 4-6 weeks out of actual need. I have found several suppliers in NC but none close to home.

Let me know if you find a local/semi local source. :)

redman25

Post by redman25 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:36 am

Appreciate the responses everyone, I'll keep looking. Picking up 50 quail biddies on Friday and they'll be going in my new flight pen in a couple of weeks. Hoping to keep my own supply going from here on but I'd prefer pigeons for training. Recall pens are a pain compared to a pigeon that just flies home :)