Moving to Twin Cities

sdsujacks

Moving to Twin Cities

Post by sdsujacks » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:08 am

I haven't been on this board in awhile now but I need a few tips on living in a city with a gun dog. I'm moving from a small town in the Golden Triangle of South Dakota to Eagan, MN, Meaning, my dog gets on wild birds about 5 days a week in season and 1-2 days a week out of season. Obviously that won't happen now that I'm living in a city. What do you guys in cities do to run your dogs off leash? Even if its not in good cover, are there places they can just run? I'm a small town guy so of course every park I've ever been in is like an "off leash dog park." Well, I've already found out the hard way that I can't let my obedient dog off leash in any type of park, big or small, crowded or empty, in the metro area. My lab is 1.5 years old so he still has a ton of puppy energy and can sprint around the yard for 30 minutes straight. IN South Dakota, if I'm not taking him out to run in a field, then he has more than enough room in my yard to burn energy doing 60 yard retrieves as that's how much room I had. Now I have a yard that is tiny for my standards.. Any tips that you guys can give me on how you exercise a dog? Let it run? Types of places you go to work on training, long retrieves, etc?

As far as pheasant hunting goes in MN.. are there any good public places close to the cities or do I have to drive to western MN every weekend? Luckily I have a few SD hunting trips already planned for this fall...

I'm looking forward to the change but I know my dog won't be.. one last question. I currently keep my dog outside in a 10x10 kennel run while I'm at work. Do I have to worry about him getting stolen now that I'm in a big city? Or do you just put a chain and padlock on the gate and hope a thief is too dumb to realize that it would only take 2 seconds to cut out a chain link fence section if they want to steal him.

JPSmith

Re: Moving to Twin Cities

Post by JPSmith » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:47 am

There are a few off leash dog parks around. You just have to look. I use the High Bridge in Saint Paul and Minnehaha in Minneapolis. I don't think either one is more then 10-15 minutes from Eagan depending. But maybe you can find something closer.

I wouldn't leave the dog out during the day. I don't think you have to worry to much about someone stealing him but dogs left out alone in the city tend to become barkers and then you'll have trouble with your neighbors.

gspguy

Re: Moving to Twin Cities

Post by gspguy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:15 pm

There is a dog park in Burnsville by Alimagnet Lake. There are some retriever clubs that you could check out to get access to areas to work your dogs. Kelly Farms is another option. For wild pheasant Western & SW MN is your best bet. Lots of public land out there. Other areas can be good in spots but W & SW MN is the most consistent. The closer to the metro area the harder it gets hit.