What is my Brittanys major malfunction?

Hoosierdaddy

What is my Brittanys major malfunction?

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:22 pm

I have been taking my two Brits swimming this summer at a friends house.My little female swims like a little torpedo ,head still, making a little wake as she glides through the water.My male on the other hand looks like he is ready to drown,he flails his front paws so violently i can barely see his head from the water splashing.He has his head so far in the air,that he looks like the Loch Ness monster going through the water.Its hilarious to watch as i have never had a dog swim like this.He looks like a buffoon out there splashing around.He loves to swim but i am concerned that i have the only Brit on the planet that doesnt know how to swim properly.

They were introduced to water very gently and are really starting to enjoy our swim trips.They just turned a year old.Will my male learn to swim properly on his own?

41magsnub

Re: What is my Brittanys major malfunction?

Post by 41magsnub » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:27 pm

My GWP was like that, she took a long time to figure out how to be level when swimming. Before that her front legs more than anything just beat the top of the water while her butt kept sinking. She still seems to have to work a lot harder at swimming than a lab or the like, but she gets it done and loves it.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Does your dog settle down to swim properly once it has the buck in it's mouth ? I have known several dogs that swam in the way you describe, two of them were labs. One of those labs was a dog that took huge flying leaps out into water in an effort to get to the buck more quickly . Once he had it he settled down a lot but was still rather "splashy."
I have never tried it but one "cure" for the "Mississippi Paddle Boat" type of swimming I heard of was to use a buck that floated but which was heavier and bulkier in terms of length than the standard size of bucks which in Britain weigh about 1 lb.

Another trainer recommended wearing breast waders and going into the water with the dog . The trainer places one hand under the swimming dogs belly and physically supports the dog in the proper swimming position, I think the idea of this was to get the dog to realise that swimming "properly" was both easier and faster ?

Bill T.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:41 pm

I had a trainer last weekend say the same as Bill above - a heavy dummy in the mouth helps the dog adjust his weight better.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Check his hips, especially if he was a natural bobtail.

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:12 pm

My dog did the same so once he was in the water I just gave him a push to level out and after that all was good

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Trekmoor wrote:Does your dog settle down to swim properly once it has the buck in it's mouth ? I have known several dogs that swam in the way you describe, two of them were labs. One of those labs was a dog that took huge flying leaps out into water in an effort to get to the buck more quickly . Once he had it he settled down a lot but was still rather "splashy."
I have never tried it but one "cure" for the "Mississippi Paddle Boat" type of swimming I heard of was to use a buck that floated but which was heavier and bulkier in terms of length than the standard size of bucks which in Britain weigh about 1 lb.

Another trainer recommended wearing breast waders and going into the water with the dog . The trainer places one hand under the swimming dogs belly and physically supports the dog in the proper swimming position, I think the idea of this was to get the dog to realise that swimming "properly" was both easier and faster ?

Bill T.
He is not retrieving a dummy of any kind yet.I go in the water with the dogs now,thats how i got them to trust that water was o.k.I tried lifting his belly today while he swam,he did not care for that.Maybe i need a life-perserver to stap to his rear end.LOL

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Everybody giving advice without even knowing the age (and how far along in training) our pup is.
How old is the pup ?
Last edited by Del Lolo on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:29 pm

MOST dogs figure this out after a few swims. Some dogs take a few months. I expect you will see it go away on it's own when you start retrieving. I have one that I almost gave up on for NAVHDA, but finally with serious help from me, he is figuring it out. Here are my thoughts: Most dogs will level out once they are bringing things back on retrieves as mentioned. Some take a bit to realize they need to quit splashing to see. Some versatiles I've seen keep doing it until they are after a duck or something that moves away, because it moves WAY FASTER and they really want to catch up and see it. My boy truly truly believed that splashing made him faster. He could retrieve zillions of times, never getting bored, but always splashing. He chased ducks that way and always lost track of them, or tried after a while to run the bank for it. Only time he improved was when he was getting very very tired and no longer trying to go fast. For years, I tried everything, and nearly gave up. Kyaks, swimming with him, holding his rear up, retrieveing heavy things.... Finally this year, with a flat collar around his waist and a CC, I just threw the bumper and stopped him once he was swimming depth but splashing. He has NO quit so he kept on splashing and trying never turning back, just kept trying. He would finally get a little frustrated and pause with his front legs and I'd immediatly let him move forward. We are still working on it, but he chased a duck this week for 15 minutes or so (couldn't get clear shot) and he only splashed at the beginning but fixed it himself quickly within a few seconds. I truly believe his issue was his desire was so very high that he would not settle down and try to swim any other way. He was also very lanky and lean for his first few years. He is filling in now, though. I have NEVER in all my years had a dog take that much work to fix swimming! I am sure you will have an easier time of it. :) But I share because maybe someone out there has a similar dog, and my far fetched solution may help.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Check his hips, especially if he was a natural bobtail.
??????????????????????????????????? Why?

Vman

Post by Vman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:05 am

Water depth can also play into this. If you are swimming your dog in water that he can touch bottom while climbing in the water{vertical} it will take longer for him too figure this out. Try some deeper water that he can`t touch bottom when vertical, if you haven`t already tried this.
I have a puppy pond that I use for teaching dogs too swim. Show the dog a taped duck on land and let the dog chase and catch the duck. Now move closer too the waters edge and release the duck again. Duck should go into water pulling the dog with him. Once the dog is chasing the duck or ducks he will become tired and level off.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:26 am

Another suggestion.Throw a live duck with one wings primary feathers pulled. He will plain out.
They do look stupid when they do that. 8)

You think that is bad: I have a now 11 year old brit that will only swim with his front feet, unless we are duck hunting. He looks so stupid, it is embarassing. His back legs just sit there and his A@@ floats like little black island, rocking back and forth. :oops:

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:41 am

Vman wrote:Water depth can also play into this. If you are swimming your dog in water that he can touch bottom while climbing in the water{vertical} it will take longer for him too figure this out. Try some deeper water that he can`t touch bottom when vertical, if you haven`t already tried this.
I have a puppy pond that I use for teaching dogs too swim. Show the dog a taped duck on land and let the dog chase and catch the duck. Now move closer too the waters edge and release the duck again. Duck should go into water pulling the dog with him. Once the dog is chasing the duck or ducks he will become tired and level off.
I think the shallow water thing could be an issue.This lake is shallow until you get out 500 yds. or more,and even then you have to find certain holes that are over 6ft.
The clipped wing bird sounds great except i would probably have to go find another lake.Lots of yuppies on this lake that would probably call the DNR if they saw me training a dog with live birds.

I really wish there was a training club near me.The nearest NAVDA club is a 4hr. drive.

Vman

Post by Vman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:03 pm

I think the shallow water thing could be an issue.This lake is shallow until you get out 500 yds. or more,and even then you have to find certain holes that are over 6ft.
The clipped wing bird sounds great except i would probably have to go find another lake.Lots of yuppies on this lake that would probably call the DNR if they saw me training a dog with live birds.
You definitely need to abide by your states dog training rules if you use live game. But a pond or lake with deep enough water should not be that hard to find. If that works you will not need the duck. If you have some pigeons, you can also throw them out in the water with their wings twisted. Hopefully your pup will go out after it.
Do you know anyone with a swimming pool? Around here the local municipalities have dog days at the pools before they close them. Anything like that near you?

mister2

Post by mister2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:48 am

My brothers gsp now 2.5yrs old was exactly like that when he was a pup. He looked sorry in the water. 2 yrs later without having been exposed to water again he now swims like a fish. I just got into a kayak and started paddling and he didn't want to be left behind so he came right out, struggled the first 10yds then leveled right out. I did the same with my new pup and he jumped right in and wouldn't you know it he's a natural swimmer. He was gonna try to swim across the lake if I let him.

I think if you really distance yourself from him in deeper water he will be forced to cover ground fast (trying to reach you) and that will help him streamline whereas right now he's more like treading water and just trying to touch ground. Also helps if no one is around on shore when you're doing this becuase he'll just head back to shore and hang out. Your pup will get the hang of it. Good luck.