Puppy Pick Order

windswept

Puppy Pick Order

Post by windswept » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:40 am

This is a bit academic but I am wondering what you breeders out there are doing with order of pick.
Here's the scenario:
The breeder accepts 3 deposits for female pups for an upcoming litter. Naturally, the order the deposits are paid determines the order the pups are selected.
A month later the breeder accepts 1 deposit for a male pup.
Things don't go quite as hoped and the litter is born and there are 3 males and no females. When told the bad news, all 3 female buyers say they would be glad to switch and take males.

In your opinion, what is the pick order now? Does the male deposit get first pic even though he was the last one to leave a deposit?

Hmmm....

markj
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy Pick Order

Post by markj » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:06 am

I would give first pick to first male deposit. Just me tho

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:10 am

I would let the breeder decide which pup goes where based on what he knows about the puppies and the line of dogs. He should have a good feel for which pup will be boldest, which will need that extra bit of work, etc. That way, each pup goes to the right home.

That's just me though - I tend to buy from a breeder that knows the dogs best - and I trust them to pick the right pup or at least help out quite a bit in the picking process.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:29 am

I have a male puppy list and a female puppy list. When I get a deposit I ask them which list they want to be on. If they are willing to take either sex, they are put on both lists(that way they have a place in both lines, but will decide once litter is born what sex they want)---they have to decide which sex they want within a day after the litter is born. If I have a person that is too far down on one of the lists to get a pup, decides after the litter is born that they will take the other sex--they are then put at the bottom of the other list. This has worked very well for me.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:47 pm

RoostersMom wrote:I would let the breeder decide which pup goes where based on what he knows about the puppies and the line of dogs. He should have a good feel for which pup will be boldest, which will need that extra bit of work, etc. That way, each pup goes to the right home.

That's just me though - I tend to buy from a breeder that knows the dogs best - and I trust them to pick the right pup or at least help out quite a bit in the picking process.

Yep I agree...Breeder has been with those pups and watches them and gets to see an over all being of the pups...New puppy owner comes in sees for an hour Sure pups change as they mature but like with children you can see as they grow up which ones have a knack for music math art etc...Not an exact science but a new person specially with children doesn't need that Alpha type pup that is always testing their lead in the pack. JMHO I want my bold out going pups to go to those people who will know how to handle those pups...I want pups that check in a bit more and generally stay closer in the long run on our walks to go to the hunters and family companions.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:03 pm

I think probably the best thing to do is you get first pick, you get first pick. Gender doesn't matter. Of course if gender matter's to the buyer, how do you guarantee what your gonna have. Guy want's a male and you don't have one for him, let him choose a female if he want's or refund his deposit if there is one. I'm wanting a male on the pup I have coming but if it isn't there, I'm gonna get a female. If there is not enough pup's I'm just out. You cannot guarantee the gender of the pup's., you can only hope! I want a male from the upcoming litter, I'm #5 on the list. I understand gender cannot be guaranteed.

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:13 pm

I don't accept deposits for this very reason.

I m a small operation producing only two litters a year , it's always first come first served.

DB

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:21 pm

I did in order of deposits for my litter. Male/female and solid/ticked preferences were listed but only as guide and buyers could back out if not the gender they wanted. They were still 3 pick, but if I should have no males and they wanted one, I'd refund the deposit.

for example:
1st pick - name, female prefer solid
2nd pick - name,female, prefer tickd
3rd pick - name, prefer male, any color
4th pick....

My trouble was, that I posted pics of the whole litter and 4 and 5 picks fell in love with certain puppies.

(that was my first litter with solid, so first time I dealt with color choices. I didn't and wouldn't mess with other color specifications no solid head or bright tickd, or such that some people wanted to pin me down to... next time I may not do any color at all as more than half my buyers switched colors anyway... they didn't care as much as they thought they would)