Bladder Stones in my Brittany

gar-dog

Bladder Stones in my Brittany

Post by gar-dog » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:58 am

My 6 year old dog started peeing in her crate and unexpectedly on the carpet over the past 24 hours or so. Went to the vet today and x-rays show several large bladder stones and she has a urinary tract infection as well. He gave her antibiotics and special food to eat for a month that can help reduce their size or break them up. If that doesn't work/help she will likely need surgery. Has anyone had any experience with this? And what about nutrition going forward?

Thanks,
Gary

zrp

Re: Bladder Stones in my Brittany

Post by zrp » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:49 pm

I don't have great luck with dietary treatment of large stones. Trust your vet but if my dog has a large bladder stone this week I'll remove it surgically. I might be more patient in March but hunting seasons open soon. I can have her healed and running by the opener if we remove it sooner rather than later.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:35 pm

What food were you feeding ?

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:10 am

Do you know what type of stone?

Also, I see you are in NJ. I highly recommend you take the dog to Garden State in Tinton Falls.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:18 am

MonsterDad wrote:Do you know what type of stone?

Also, I see you are in NJ. I highly recommend you take the dog to Garden State in Tinton Falls.
Why there instead of going to his own vet?

Ezzy

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:09 pm

zrp wrote:I don't have great luck with dietary treatment of large stones. Trust your vet but if my dog has a large bladder stone this week I'll remove it surgically. I might be more patient in March but hunting seasons open soon. I can have her healed and running by the opener if we remove it sooner rather than later.
+1

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:41 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:Do you know what type of stone?

Why there instead of going to his own vet?

Ezzy
Because the OP said the Vet recommended surgery if the food didn't help but I know Garden State is one of the few in area that can do ultrasound to bust up the stones rather than surgery. Also, if it does come to surgery, chances are the OP is gonna get referred to Garden State or a place like it anyway. Having been through this with some toy breeds in the family, I wouldn't have that surgery done at the regular clinic.

Be interesting to know what kind of stone because diet doesn't help all kinds.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:58 pm

no reason why the regular vet cant do the surgery. its no more complicated than a spay.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:25 pm

dog dr wrote:no reason why the regular vet cant do the surgery. its no more complicated than a spay.
Well, not gonna argue with a licensed Vet but I can tell you that in NJ this surgery will often get referred to a surgical facility. If the OP can avoid surgery with some certainty that ultrasound will work, that is a better route. Even at the regular clinic this is a $2,000 - $3,000 operation.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:57 pm

MonsterDad wrote:
dog dr wrote:no reason why the regular vet cant do the surgery. its no more complicated than a spay.
Well, not gonna argue with a licensed Vet but I can tell you that in NJ this surgery will often get referred to a surgical facility. If the OP can avoid surgery with some certainty that ultrasound will work, that is a better route. Even at the regular clinic this is a $2,000 - $3,000 operation.
That much for a 300 dollar surgery is reason enough to not go to a clinic like that. I don't understand where you are coming from when you recommend something like that.

Ezzy

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:42 am

ezzy333 wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:
That much for a 300 dollar surgery is reason enough to not go to a clinic like that. I don't understand where you are coming from when you recommend something like that.

Ezzy
What don't you understand about what I wrote? If you could avoid surgery and have the ultrasound procedure done, wouldn't you? And where did you get $300 from? You must be kidding, right?

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:16 am

Had this procedure done 5yrs ago. 800.00 Dropped max off 8 am one day & picked max up at 8 am the neck day. he greeted me at the door on a leash with the vet tech at discharge time . Kept him quiet for a couple days and was hunting with-in a month
( light duty) The light duty was my choice :D Chemical treatment of the type stone Max had(Struvite) would have taken for ever. Dog's aren't here long enough to begin with .
Good Luck with everything !

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:21 am

$2000-3000???? Geez, I hope my vet doesn't read this thread!!!! :o

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:18 pm

would run you $150 at the most at my clinic.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:31 pm

dog dr, wish you were in my neck of the woods! I struggle with vets here!

In March, I paid $900 for surgery for an obstruction where nothing was ever found blocking anything (although barium DID sit in her stomach for 12 hours without moving and lots of x-rays were taken), and her stomach and intestines were NOT opened up...THEN paid $500 to have her opened again and reclosed 6 days later when her internal stitches pulled out and she herniated. I think they sewed her together with fishing line the 2nd time. She got better, but they never found an obstruction, and she didn't pass anything.

zrp

Post by zrp » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:05 pm

dog dr wrote:would run you $150 at the most at my clinic.

That's exactly what we charge for a bladder surgery like this. 150 plus a few bucks for some anti-inflammatory meds. If the ultrasound works, great. I just don't have a lot of confidence if it is a "large stone" as the op stated.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:26 pm

That is less than the hazardous waste disposals fees in this state. Veterinary surgeons here drive Porsches and spend the summer of Long Beach Island.

Think about moving?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:32 pm

MonsterDad wrote: Well, not gonna argue with a licensed Vet but I can tell you that in NJ this surgery will often get referred to a surgical facility. If the OP can avoid surgery with some certainty that ultrasound will work, that is a better route. Even at the regular clinic this is a $2,000 - $3,000 operation.
ezzy333 wrote:That much for a 300 dollar surgery is reason enough to not go to a clinic like that. I don't understand where you are coming from when you recommend something like that.

Ezzy
MonsterDad wrote:What don't you understand about what I wrote? If you could avoid surgery and have the ultrasound procedure done, wouldn't you? And where did you get $300 from? You must be kidding, right?
I doubled what I thought it would cost just to be on the safe side. I sure wasn't kidding but admit I didn't know what everyone would charge. But I have learned to use some common sense and not advise people to pay some exorbitant price or go to some place for treatment that is totally unnecessary.

Ezzy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:37 pm

MonsterDad wrote:
That is less than the hazardous waste disposals fees in this state. Veterinary surgeons here drive Porsches and spend the summer of Long Beach Island.

Think about moving?
Sounds like you should! Can't believe you would pay those prices.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:59 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:

Think about moving?
Sounds like you should! Can't believe you would pay those prices.
Ezzy -

My son still lives in central NJ. He has yet to go to the vet and have less than a $400 bill before he walks out. He is slowly coming to understand that vets in NJ are for the rich. Normal folks simply cannot afford them.

You need to understand that everyone in New Jersey has to deal with the fact that everything in NJ is totally out of whack, price wise. The state taxes everything. They are in your pockets with both hands...ALL THE TIME. They have to do this because they have more local county, state and federal employees than you can imagine. I know when his rabies shot came due, he received separate notifications from his vet, the town and the county. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a state agency that had to be notified also. That means to me that they have waaaaay too many folks on the various payrolls, with nothing much useful to do. Everyone's salaries have to be inflated to be able to pay for all that government.

There are over 300 separate school districts in NJ. That means 300 separate school boards,, with staff, 300 active superintendents, 600 active assistant superintendents(at least) and 900 administrative assistants, at a minimum. And that is just the folks in charge.

You need a permit to do just about anything more than changing a light bulb. That is because the plumbers, electricians and various other trades, also have to make as much money as they can, to keep on living there. They have inspectors whose job it is to inspect the inspectors. The depth and breadth of governmental intrusion into your life, at all levels, is incredible and that all costs a fortune.

I know...I lived there all of my life until I moved to Delaware.

It does not matter if you are a CEO or a garbage picker, they get ya every way they can, so everyone has to make money any way they can. It is the way it is.

I bought a 7 way vaccine from my feed/grain supplier, for his dog, and brought it up, on my last visit because the dog was due. Seven bucks and done. Of course, you cannot buy things like dog vaccines in NJ. What a surprise. My son said that shot would have wound up costing him at least $250 at the vets, because the mandatory wellness exam is about $100 and then there is the stool screen, yada, yada. He tried "forgetting" the stool sample once. That didn't work because the vet grabbed a Q-tip, did a rectal swab and that was what got looked at.

Like I said, I do not fault them. They are doing what they need to survive. I'm just happy I got out when I did.

RayG

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Glad I dont live in NY Ray, I couldn't afford to have dogs!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:28 pm

mlittle wrote:Glad I dont live in NY Ray, I couldn't afford to have dogs!
Please don't get me wrong. NJ is a GREAT state in many, many ways...if you are working. I was born and raised there, lived there for fifty plus years, raised my family and did just fine. Some of the best beaches in the country, great salt water fishing, mountains(well hills to be precise), lakes, rivers, an amazing variety of public land to recreate on including almost a half million acres of WMA's and state forests, seven or eight public areas where trainng dogs was permitted 12 months of the year, world class music, dance and art, any kind or style of food you could imagine and some of the best of any cuisine including two little Italy's and tow Chinatowns(NYC and Philly), any kind of sport was represented from baseball to football to Basketball to hockey to soccer, you name it...all within a two hour drive of where I lived.

But if you ain't working...you can't stay there very long. It is expensive.

RayG

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:51 pm

He thought I was kidding when I said $2,000 -$3,000. My sister paid $6,000 because the dog not only had bladder stones but a stone in the ureter.

Ray is right. You cant go to the vet here with out spending at least $250 but $500 is about right.

I still think the OP should see if ultrasound is possible.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:12 pm

If anyone cares, the food worked just fine. It took a couple of months but they completely dissolved. They were huge - golf ball sized, and several of them.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:43 pm

Gar dog I wonder of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar in a daily dose or added to the drinking water would help prevent them from growing back?
I know that is what is helping my SO with his Kidney Stones..Helps prevent them from building up ...Just a thought

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:13 pm

Interesting Knine....after all, it is about putting more acidity in their diets, human or animal I guess!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:05 pm

gar-dog wrote:Interesting Knine....after all, it is about putting more acidity in their diets, human or animal I guess!
I have used vinegar to acidify the water for the dogs on occasion and use it consistently for the pigeons. It helps several different conditions.

Ezzy