Outdoor Kennel Floor - Cheap

sdsujacks

Outdoor Kennel Floor - Cheap

Post by sdsujacks » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:49 pm

I am moving and looking to put in some kind of floor for my 10x10 outdoor kennel. I currently have rubber mats that cover it and they work okay but I was just borrowing them from a friend and returned them now that I'm leaving town. I want something that is cheap but yet keeps the dog clean and kennel sanitary. Concrete is not an option for me right now, maybe in a few years. What about laying down some type of patio pavers? They have some cheap ones, even rubber and plastic. Or what about putting it in a few inches of gravel? My dog had a big problem of eating rocks as a puppy so I would prefer not to go this route in case he gets the bug again to eat rocks while I'm not watching him. Building a platform with raised plywood then nailing down a cheap role of vinyl over it? Or maybe just go back to the rubber mats and buy my own this time. I don't want anything too expensive or anything that will last too long (concrete), I am only 23 and I think I am hopefully 1 house away from buying that house that will last close to the rest of my life. So any help on some surface materials would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

BayouSlide

Re: Outdoor Kennel Floor - Cheap

Post by BayouSlide » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:03 pm

I used 12 x12 in. pavers recently for a small kennel I use occasionally. Be prepared for some prep work...leveling the ground with sand and shovel, etc...for an acceptably level and tight result. I initially took the lazy approach and had to redo it completely because it was so uneven. Second time I followed my wife's advise, she'd the gardener, and things worked out much better. 8)

Curtis

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 pm

I have patio paving slabs as the floor in my dog run. I laid them about 10 years ago and they have worked very well.

Bill T.

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:44 pm

Trekmoor wrote:I have patio paving slabs as the floor in my dog run. I laid them about 10 years ago and they have worked very well.

Bill T.
Bill- did you put any kind of fill between the cracks on the slabs? Or do they sit close enough together? Is there much I need to do besides level the ground (like make sure its on 2 inches of sand or something?)?

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:06 pm

I have a friend who used pavers for six kennel runs and liked them well enough to never change. I believe he has had them in place for ~ 10 years now. He just leveled the ground and placed the pavers tight fit.

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:22 pm

Carolina Gundogs wrote:I have a friend who used pavers for six kennel runs and liked them well enough to never change. I believe he has had them in place for ~ 10 years now. He just leveled the ground and placed the pavers tight fit.
That is what I am leaning towards doing but wanted to see if anybody else had any other ideas. Thanks! The rubber horse stall mats I've been using work but I know theres something better out there that's still cheaper than concrete- pavers may be it.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:33 pm

sdsujacks wrote:
Carolina Gundogs wrote:I have a friend who used pavers for six kennel runs and liked them well enough to never change. I believe he has had them in place for ~ 10 years now. He just leveled the ground and placed the pavers tight fit.
That is what I am leaning towards doing but wanted to see if anybody else had any other ideas. Thanks! The rubber horse stall mats I've been using work but I know theres something better out there that's still cheaper than concrete- pavers may be it.
If you go the paver route, do yourself a favor and spray the ground with Roundup, ideally with some Pramitol in it. Then cover that with landscape cloth. Then level with sand. You will not have to worry about weeds growing up through it for a looooong time if you do it right. You might also want to put down an insecticide(Permethrin or pyrethrin Granules would be a good choice) and a fungicide(like a quaternary ammonium salt solution) barrier in the sand. The permethrin will keep all manner of bugs and such from becoming a problem, once again, for a long time. The fungicide will stop mold and mildew and will help to keep things sanitary in general.

RayG

jeff gruennert

Post by jeff gruennert » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:39 pm

Not sure what you consider cheap, but a 10x10x4 inch area is about a yard of concrete or roughly 55 bags at 2 bucks a bag. A lot of work mixing that much but for less than 150 bucks you can poor a pretty decent run

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:55 pm

I put down 12x12" pavers as a temporary floor and they're working fine. I had a sore back for a week from moving pavers and using the shovel and rake to level the ground. I didn't put sand due to the temporary nature of the solution, and it's level enough. Next year when I put in my barn I'll have a pad poured under the lean to, and put the kennels there.

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:47 am

jeff gruennert wrote:Not sure what you consider cheap, but a 10x10x4 inch area is about a yard of concrete or roughly 55 bags at 2 bucks a bag. A lot of work mixing that much but for less than 150 bucks you can poor a pretty decent run
This is what I would like to do in a perfect world, but there's just not a good spot around this new house to pour a slab. I plan on living here for about 3-5 years so I don't want anything permanent. My next place after this will definitely have a concrete run.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:55 am

Concrete for the 10X10 is just $135. There may be a short load charge unless you can get them on the way back from a pour in the area and the load for you. forming materials, $28.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:57 am

jeff gruennert wrote:Not sure what you consider cheap, but a 10x10x4 inch area is about a yard of concrete or roughly 55 bags at 2 bucks a bag. A lot of work mixing that much but for less than 150 bucks you can poor a pretty decent run
Sorry did not see this one.
But Ditto.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:58 am

I think you will be happy with the pavers.

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:29 pm

I used 16 x 16 pavers. I am planning on moving to the farm when my youngest graduates. I will pick it up and reseed the yard when I do.
I put pea gravel under it to level it and it is doing great.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Woolmanized 2x4 frame, staked down, fill will sand, cover with poly and 1''x8"x16" flat blocks, or any size pavers, these will last indefinitely and are removable anytime you wish. This is what I have only I didn't put the poly down the first time and the sand washed out. Sprinkle sand over the entire job and broom off, this will fill any cracks.

tdbmd

Post by tdbmd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:32 pm

I have a 10x5 kennel and what I did was take 6x6 treated lumber and lay them length-wise then fill in with gravel. Over that I laid synthetic deck planks with about 1/4 inch gap between them. So far, working really well, easy to clean.