Frustrated...

Gertie

Frustrated...

Post by Gertie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Last fall I fostered a fantastic male English setter. He was about 4 and had a lot of natural ability but hasn't had much work. I had him for a few weeks and found him a nice home. I told the folks that before they turned him loose they needed to work with him on recall, finish the whistle training I started, and get him a GPS collar. It turns out they did none of these things and last weekend they lost the dog. I'm feeling pretty bad about the whole thing. He was lost in the 8 mile Canyon area between Soda Springs and Paris Idaho. I'd take him back in a minute if someone finds him.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Frustrated...

Post by DonF » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:16 am

I've had that happen. Usually the dog wii return to where it was lost sooner or later. Had a pointer years ago that got lost on me and I left his crate with my shirt in it and the next morning he was in his crate. If a dog doesn't do that, it probably got picked up by someone or badly hurt. Bodie can make absolutely huge cast's on me, we saw that a couple years ago south of burns. But he ended up back with us! Dogs don't normally get lost. I suspect if they went out the next day they would find him.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:24 pm

I remember your post about him. Hope they find him, he did sound like a nice dog.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:10 am

Found out that the dog was found about 20 miles from where he was lost. The guy that found him kept him (he had no chip and no i.d. Anyway, my uncle bumped into the guy and the dog at a preserve this past weekend. I was so happy to hear that he's alright and has found someone who is training and hunting him. Made my day!

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:22 am

Wow, what a happy ending from a bad situation.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:53 am

That's really great.

A month ago, I was down in the Sonoita area and a guy had pulled up in a motorhome at a NFS road turnout and lost his little 5 month old English Pointer pup. I saw the guy with the dog near the motorhome earlier. The next day, I heard the story from a deer hunter that stopped. I couldn't figure out why the motorhome wasn't still there if the guy lost his dog there. Never heard any more about it. I hunted there a couple weeks later. Nothing.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:35 pm

20 miles huh. I did have that happen one time. Female pointer I really liked, Katie. Turned her loose at Boyce Corrals and she showed up at a guy's house in Prineville. He stopped in at the store my wife was working at and told her about the dog he found, he's got hounds. She told him it sounded like Katie. I went over there and sure enough, there was Katie. The only time that ever happened to me. Came close with another pointer. Turned him loose at Boyce Corrals and had him in sight about 20 sec and he was just gone. The guy that owned him wanted me to try out a new horse he'd bought so I did. Guy bought a winded horse! That was Mr Ed and he couldn't get away from my Ben. Ben was a retired endurance horse. he could go 17 mi at a flying trot before he needed to be slowed down. No dog got away from Ben!