Grouse opener

isonychia

Grouse opener

Post by isonychia » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:12 pm

Well things went well and we got into 4 different grouse (/groups), my dog might be steady to wing and shoot on pigeons but GEEZ! It took a whole lotta collar to get that boy to stop on these grouse. I'll admit, I have some work I can do myself :mrgreen:

Wasn't able to shoot at a few because of my dog but if it weren't for him I probably wouldn't have seen any of these today. Good point at around 2:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3eYKrqU ... e=youtu.be

Del Lolo

Re: Grouse opener

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Went out for a quick (2 hours) Grouse hunt this morning. Got three nice Ruffs and a Mourning Dove. It's very uncommon to get a Mourning Dove at 4000' altitude and because of their diet, they taste diferent than a low-land bird. It's been so hot and dry here, that most of the grouse are still waaaay back in the deep woods. They come down to eat and get gravel -- then it's right back to the tall trees to stay cool.
When it cools off here and we get some rain, (usually in another month), there will be a lot of Grouse.

Will be going out for a short Dove hunt later this afternoon.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Where is "here" for u Del Lolo

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Del Lolo wrote:Went out for a quick (2 hours) Grouse hunt this morning. Got three nice Ruffs and a Mourning Dove. It's very uncommon to get a Mourning Dove at 4000' altitude and because of their diet, they taste diferent than a low-land bird. It's been so hot and dry here, that most of the grouse are still waaaay back in the deep woods. They come down to eat and get gravel -- then it's right back to the tall trees to stay cool.
When it cools off here and we get some rain, (usually in another month), there will be a lot of Grouse.

Will be going out for a short Dove hunt later this afternoon.
As you can imagine?..where I come from ...Grouse and Tall Trees! just don't sound right :lol:

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:15 pm

I'm from N.W. Montana.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:17 pm

You have many problems witg wolves where you hunt ur
dogs?

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:26 pm

A great morning hunting ruffed grouse in the Pacific Northwest woods. Only got one, but I'm pretty happy about it. I'm a lousy shot, and grouse are hard to hit. I hunted with my guy "Robert" (Irish red setter) and my husband hunted "Seven" (our young Brittany). Seven pointed two birds for my husband, but he couldn't get a shot before they were in the trees. Here's some pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:08 am

Great pics! Question....how does that vest work out (fit) for your dog? Does it have chest protection or is it just for visibility?

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:06 am

isonychia wrote:You have many problems witg wolves where you hunt ur
dogs?
Wolves are a problem whenever they co-exist with humans.
In an area like Yellowstone, all is well. Nature balances everything out very well, because
humans don't raise livestock there nor do humans hunt there.
In areas where humans raise animals and also hunt, wolves are a true menace.
They are also terrible in ID as well as WA.
They are killing cattle and sheep and ruining the populations of moose, elk and deer.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:55 am

Fran Seagren wrote:A great morning hunting ruffed grouse in the Pacific Northwest woods. Only got one, but I'm pretty happy about it. I'm a lousy shot, and grouse are hard to hit. I hunted with my guy "Robert" (Irish red setter) and my husband hunted "Seven" (our young Brittany). Seven pointed two birds for my husband, but he couldn't get a shot before they were in the trees. Here's some pics.
Spend some time on a good sporting clays course. Tell the course operator that you want to shoot those stands that are most likely to emulate grouse.

The hardest part about grouse is the startling noise (you will get use to it), and the shooting blind through the trees. You will learn to just track the bird with your swing and shoot as though they are in the open.

The problem with sporting clays is they are slowing as soon as they come off the trap, while grouse are accelerating. Still even a little practice will help.

There is also the fact we tend to watch the dog, not the bird. You find a cure for that let me know, I haven't in 50 years. But doubt I would change.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Shot a grouse today and then a likely double busted but i missed when he flew into the sun. My dog gave a point and i never found the birds so i released him and he ran up about 50 yards and just outta sight i could hear him bust a bout 4 grouse. Guess ill have to start trusting him a little more. Long story short, what shoulda been a limit of 3 grouse turned into 1

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:41 pm

isonychia wrote:Shot a grouse today and then a likely double busted but i missed when he flew into the sun. My dog gave a point and i never found the birds so i released him and he ran up about 50 yards and just outta sight i could hear him bust a bout 4 grouse. Guess ill have to start trusting him a little more. Long story short, what shoulda been a limit of 3 grouse turned into 1
Good to hear you're getting into some birds. I managed to get out yesterday, but it turned into more of a father & son / .22 plinking day. I did discover a new area to try out however, and plan to get up there on Friday. I hope this heat and humidity goes away soon.

BTW do you need more homers this fall? I'm a bit over run, and will give you a great deal on young birds.

Nate

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:13 pm

redman25 wrote:Great pics! Question....how does that vest work out (fit) for your dog? Does it have chest protection or is it just for visibility?
The vests that Robert and Seven were wearing yesterday do have chest protection - the black material. You can see it in the pic of Seven (brittany) when he is laying down. The black material is heavier/tougher. The orange part is lightweight, for visibility only. So far, it works great. The "grouse" cover around here is pretty rough. Lots of deadfall. The berry bushes aren't a concern, the dogs just get scratched up and the hair on their chests gets rubbed off. It's a stick to the chest that worries me. Even dogs that are experienced navigating heavy cover don't see those sticks coming. We sure can't protect them from everything, but the vests help, in my opinion. I'm switching to these kind of dog vests for all our gang. I don't have one to fit my 70lb lab(Sarge), yet, so this morning he was wearing one of our old ones. It does just as good a job at protecting his chest, but the velcro straps that come over his back get caught in the brush and I'm having to "fix" his vest all the time. Don't have to mess with the newer ones that Robert and Seven have.

We took our "flusher team" this morning up grouse hunting, but looks like we got there a little too late. By the way Sarge was acting, the birds had eaten and gone back up into the trees. So, we're home taking a break and plan to head back out in an hour or so and try and catch them along the old logging trails "having dinner."

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:22 pm

do you have a brand name for those vests or a link?

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Neil wrote:
Fran Seagren wrote:A great morning hunting ruffed grouse in the Pacific Northwest woods. Only got one, but I'm pretty happy about it. I'm a lousy shot, and grouse are hard to hit. I hunted with my guy "Robert" (Irish red setter) and my husband hunted "Seven" (our young Brittany). Seven pointed two birds for my husband, but he couldn't get a shot before they were in the trees. Here's some pics.
Spend some time on a good sporting clays course. Tell the course operator that you want to shoot those stands that are most likely to emulate grouse.

The hardest part about grouse is the startling noise (you will get use to it), and the shooting blind through the trees. You will learn to just track the bird with your swing and shoot as though they are in the open.

The problem with sporting clays is they are slowing as soon as they come off the trap, while grouse are accelerating. Still even a little practice will help.

There is also the fact we tend to watch the dog, not the bird. You find a cure for that let me know, I haven't in 50 years. But doubt I would change.
Good advice. I have been practicing lately - more than I usually do each year. I agree they haven't figured out how to emulate a real bird taking off - whether it's grouse, pheasants, quail, whatever. But, practice does make perfect. I'm pretty sure that I just don't practice enough. And, if my dog isn't steady to the flush, I don't shoot, or I make a lousy shot because I'm trying to make him behave! I love the dog work best. Probably like most people on this forum.

I'm also a firm believer that everyone can improve with practice, no matter how much they suck (like me ). But, I also firmly believe good shots are born, not made. You can only do so much with a "pigs ear" or something like that. :D

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Grouse doesn't start till the 25th here... you lucky guys....

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:49 pm

Good shots only need reasonably good eyesight and basic eye -hand coordination, much as with any athletic activity.

Great shots, like all great athletes, have those abilities to a much greater degree.

I realize shooting is not really a true athletic event, but I don't know how else to describe it.

Anyway, if you are not improving, you might benefit from some instruction, your local course operator will have a list, check references.

Improving your shooting will most likely add to your enjoyment afield. Or you can get a good shot to hunt with you and claim his birds.

Neil

Jaggerbush

Post by Jaggerbush » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Although the season hasn't open yet I ran my dog today at my local hot spot. We had 4 nice points (single birds) and one covey of 6 birds. Looks like the numbers might be up this year in PA. Also had my 14week pup GSP with me, he kept up and had a good time watching the birds fly away. Getting excited.

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:03 pm

oct 12 here in ohio woodcock same day. Nice looking britt we have pointed 2 woodcock so far I thought that was pretty good for a 9 month old who has only been worked on pen raised birds and pigeons. man your woods look awesome we don't get that here. good luck the rest of the season

redman25

Post by redman25 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:50 pm

I've found when shooting, whether it be clays or birds, the more instinctive I shoot the better I am. It also is a lot about confidence in whatever gun you're shouldering. I'm already into my swing when I shoulder my gun and pull the trigger as soon as I get on the target. It's what works for me.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:19 am

Fran Seagren wrote: .......and my husband hunted "Seven" (our young Brittany). Seven pointed two birds for my husband, but he couldn't get a shot before they were in the trees.
I have to ask, are you or your husband fans of the show "Seinfeld"? The naming of a child "Seven" was the subject of one show.

Rob

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:08 pm

isonychia wrote:do you have a brand name for those vests or a link?
I bought the vests from Cabela's. I'm sure other places carry them, too.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:13 pm

GrayDawg wrote:
Fran Seagren wrote: .......and my husband hunted "Seven" (our young Brittany). Seven pointed two birds for my husband, but he couldn't get a shot before they were in the trees.
I have to ask, are you or your husband fans of the show "Seinfeld"? The naming of a child "Seven" was the subject of one show.

Rob
We are fans of Seinfeld, but don't remember the show where a child was named, "Seven." Our guy got that name simply because he was the seventh puppy born in his litter. The breeder identified each pup with their order of birth and "seven" is our lucky number. Not too exciting, but it's his name, now!

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:51 am

Fran Seagren wrote:
GrayDawg wrote:

Rob
We are fans of Seinfeld, but don't remember the show where a child was named, "Seven." Our guy got that name simply because he was the seventh puppy born in his litter. The breeder identified each pup with their order of birth and "seven" is our lucky number. Not too exciting, but it's his name, now!
A great name, nonetheless !!

buckshot1

Post by buckshot1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Isonychia, great video. Just wondering, what elevation were you finding birds at? I hunted at 8700-8800 ft in mostly aspen/oak brush and found a few birds, but nothing like in a usual year.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:36 am

buckshot1 wrote:Isonychia, great video. Just wondering, what elevation were you finding birds at? I hunted at 8700-8800 ft in mostly aspen/oak brush and found a few birds, but nothing like in a usual year.
Try hunting a bit higher. 9000' and up. I've been finding a lot of birds at 9500'.
The juveniles are feeding heavy on grasshoppers right now. The mature males have been eating rose hips, currants and mahonia berries. Took 8 birds out of the new hotspot this weekend and flushed 20+ birds on Saturday morning. I've found two coveys of 10+ birds so far. That is very unusual for blue grouse. :D

Nate

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:21 am

My area was HOT last year but the numbers seem to be down in the southern san juans. I've only gotten into birds half of the days I have gone out so far. Last year I don't think I went out but once without finding birds. Regardless, I did shoot 2 birds at about 8500 but that was a fluke, I almost always hit 10,000 or higher.