Questions after 5 months

Redfishrick

Questions after 5 months

Post by Redfishrick » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 am

Okay so Sage is now 5 1/2 months we have been working on a lot of things. She does great and we are having a lot of fun learning however there are something's we struggle with. I am hoping for some advice.

1. Whining in the Kennel. Not for 10-15 minutes, HOURS and at all different times. Typical day, wake up take her out of the kennel to potty and run around for about 15 minutes. Then in the kennel for breakfast. Out side all day with plenty of toys to play with. Around 5:30 I get home and we train for a while. Then play time with the kids. Back in kennel at 8;00 for dinner. Out at 9: to do the business, in at 10 for the night. Every time she goes in she whines, then eats, then whines. She will sleep then start whining around 2:30-3:00am until 5:30-6:00 am.

2. I have two young boys who will accidently let her out of the yard. When she has her e-collar on ( I only use vibrate for correction) she will come to here. If she is not wearing her e -collar she will run the neighbor hood until I can corner her and catch her. Oddly when we are in the fields she will not run more than 30-50 yards from me.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Questions after 5 months

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:47 am

By kennel do you mean a run or a crate?

Redfishrick

Post by Redfishrick » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:46 am

Crate.

benelli

Post by benelli » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:19 am

Can you put a clip or lock or something on the gate? We have a two-year-old who will let himself and the dog out of the backyard, so I put a little clip on the outside of the gate that he can't work (yet) so I don't have to worry about them escaping.

Also, you can try to get in the habit of putting the e-collar on first thing in the morning and taking it off at night when you put the dog to bed so you hopefully don't get stuck playing a game of chase.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:28 am

Lock the gate.

Get up and let her go potty between 2:30 and 3:00.

Redfishrick

Post by Redfishrick » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:51 am

Thanks for the replies, the gates are locked its just the occasional time that she gets out to the front yard. Whether its through the front door or garage door. She is a pain to catch.
I so get up and let her out at night. When I put her back in she immediately start whining again. Would it hurt anything to just leave her out and not put her back in the crate?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:55 am

He will grow out of both, over the next few weeks continue to work on recall, and ask him to be quiet in the crate.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:45 pm

Neil wrote:He will grow out of both, over the next few weeks continue to work on recall, and ask him to be quiet in the crate.
X2 Neil! Rick you do have another option.... Get you another one! I can't believe she is almost 6 months old. I still have a couple of pictures of her at 12-13 weeks.

lahunter562

Post by lahunter562 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:24 pm

I have a 5 month old gsp pup that does the same whining/barking in the crate kennel. Some gsp are just whiners and need to have some discipline at that time, otherwise it will get worst with time or as the dog grows older. Is going to be a pita to get the dog to stop the barking/whining if you don't deal with it. Basically what your dog is doing is teaching you how to react to the whining/barking. I decided to use the chain gang and figure 8 to stop the whining/ barking and to start the foundation for her training. So far it has worked like a charm. The barking/whining has decreased a lot. Thanx for reading :D

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:32 am

They make bark collars, if your dog has been introduced
To the ecollar this is effective; but you can cause
Other problems if you put it on a timid dog.

Db

Redfishrick

Post by Redfishrick » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:38 am

HA! Tyler I have my hands full with just one. Looking forward to Oct! What is figure 8 and chain gang? I have started putting her e-collar on in the morning and letting her wear it all day. She has not ran off yet. I even went and worked with her in the front yard and she did perfect.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:12 am

Redfishrick wrote:HA! Tyler I have my hands full with just one. Looking forward to Oct! What is figure 8 and chain gang? I have started putting her e-collar on in the morning and letting her wear it all day. She has not ran off yet. I even went and worked with her in the front yard and she did perfect.
You will be real lucky if the pup doesn't end up with some ugly sores where the posts are on it's neck. Those collars are not made to be worn all of the time.

Ezzy

reba

Post by reba » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:19 pm

It does not matter if it is a dog in a kennel or in a crate or in a truck or in a car or in a house; they MUST be trained not to release until given the command.

This is a very basic command that should be taught early in a dogs life. I like to use the voice command, whoa:-)

A dog busting out a door or gate will sooner or later get run over in the street.

A very good place to use the e-collar.

lahunter562

Post by lahunter562 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:15 pm

go to huntsmith.com and search for figure 8, chain gang and the other good info. I have used it for 10 plus years and so far it has work for me. They are many good programs to train gun dogs, but so far the hunt smith program has been good to me. Go ahead and go to you tube and type figure 8, watch how easy it is to make it and used it. Rick will explain why the figure eight is need it to fix unwanted behavior from your dog. Thanx for reading.