newbie going to North Dakota

outdoorscribe

newbie going to North Dakota

Post by outdoorscribe » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:19 pm

Long time lurker here. Me and four of my friends from North Carolina are driving to N.D. this Saturday for a week-long quest for sharpies and Huns. We're staying near Jamestown and hunting private land. we'll have a nice mix of Continental breeds (and a pointer). I have a good amount of experience hunting in the South for various species but have not hunted upland (have waterfowl) in the Midwest.
We've heard bird numbers are down and that kind of stuff, but we can't control that on any given year, so save that news.
I would welcome some advice and help from some experienced folks who have traveled and hunted the Midwest. Thanks in advance.

Donnytpburge

Re: newbie going to North Dakota

Post by Donnytpburge » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:08 pm

Check out the threads

They are about sd but might have some
Info for you

"How Hard"
"SD first time "

Db

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:19 pm

I am 45 miles north of Jamestown. Huns are few and far between as a general rule. With the cooler weather dog power might be the key. If it was warm like it has been, then I would be hunting shaded areas. The family groups really haven't come together yet, so they will be more spread out and not in the real big coveys that you will find later on in the season. Let the dogs have their head and run and cover ground, as you will most likely need to cover a lot to find birds

outdoorscribe

Post by outdoorscribe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:19 am

Good advice, thank Ohmy.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Rotate the dogs. They can get worn out quick, then you are scrambling towards the end of your trip. Crops may still be up. Try and find crops that border grassland and water too - if possible. Birds should hold nicely if you find them. Heard from trainers up there that earlier this summer there were birds but some are very young...thus not great flyers, but by now (the opener) they should be fine. Pack gear for ALL types of weather. It can change in a heartbeat and the wind will blow. If you are on private land, ask the land owner for tips, directions, etc. Go into town and talk to the local gas station operators, hardware store employees, grocery store clerks, etc. We have found them all to be helpful. Good luck. I leave Thursday!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Go to utube and check out the videos on hun hunting---you'll notice that most of the cover they are in is pretty short and light. Same way with early season sharpies---they want to be in cover they can see out of. Stay out of real tall CRP---you'll find pheasant but not much in the way of sharpies and huns. Good luck.

outdoorscribe

Post by outdoorscribe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Great advice; thanks guys. We'll have 5-6 dogs, so there should be fresh legs (maybe not some much for the gunners.) :D

fieldtrialcentral

Post by fieldtrialcentral » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Are you going to be hunting north or south of Jamestown? I am about 30 miles north. I always recommend hunting shaerptails and huns early in the morning and then just before sunset.

Good luck on your trip.

outdoorscribe

Post by outdoorscribe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:56 pm

northwest, near as i can tell.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:15 pm

FYI - There are Sharptails throughout most of the whole state. I've stood in the parking lot of Grand Forks Walmart and had a sharptail fly overhead. If you are 50 miles or more from Fargo and you see "good" sharptail cover don't hestiate to get out and take a walk. The sharptail distribution maps lie

outdoorscribe

Post by outdoorscribe » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks, Gordon Guy.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:56 pm

This is probably too late...

I went on my first ND sharpie hunting trip. It was a ton of fun and I learned a lot. Poured rain opening morning. We did a lot of walking but managed to scratch down a few sharpies. Poor shooting, great dog work. Hunted over a mutt (springer/gsp mix). Hunted all PLOTS land around the Gackle/Streeter area. Most of the birds came from just south of Gackle about 5 miles. The advice I received was spot on: Hunt short grass (nothing higher than shin high), alfalfa is good, birds like the leeward side of a hill, hunt transitions/structure, fence rows are a good place to find them, and stubble is good if you can find a field. I think the next time I go I'll head further west. All and all it was a great trip, lot of work, learned a lot and a ton of fun. Below is a link with photos.

http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/nutsu ... pie%20Trip