Pigeon Coop Question

RichK

Pigeon Coop Question

Post by RichK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:44 pm

Winter is on the way in NY and it gets cold. I'm planning on closing up all of the windows on my coop aside from the 8x10 trap door that they use to come in through. How are homers with the cold? Should I insulate the inside of my coop? Will it help at all?

pinebrookkennel

Re: Pigeon Coop Question

Post by pinebrookkennel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Rich,
Your homers dont need to be in a warm shed. You can close it up but its not needed. There are a couple things
You can do to help them through the winter. Feed them hole corn or seed. This helps produce body heat in the birds
Also if you want birds to breed during the winter months you need to add some light to your coop. This is due to short
Daylight hours.
A lamp in the coop helps keep waters from freezing and gives the birds some heat and light for breeding
Homers for training are a fairly easy animal to keep once the coop it set.
Good luck.

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:27 pm

pinebrookkennel wrote:Rich,
Your homers dont need to be in a warm shed. You can close it up but its not needed. There are a couple things
You can do to help them through the winter. Feed them hole corn or seed. This helps produce body heat in the birds
Also if you want birds to breed during the winter months you need to add some light to your coop. This is due to short
Daylight hours.
A lamp in the coop helps keep waters from freezing and gives the birds some heat and light for breeding
Homers for training are a fairly easy animal to keep once the coop it set.
Good luck.
Thanks for the info. What type of lamp should I get for the coop? Do I place it close to the ground or at the top? Should I run the light 24/7 or put it on a timer for night use only?

dogman23

Post by dogman23 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:37 pm

Do you guys fly your homers in the winter or no. This will be my first winter with birds to. I haven't been able to get them to breed all summer let alone winter.

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:16 pm

dogman23 wrote:Do you guys fly your homers in the winter or no. This will be my first winter with birds to. I haven't been able to get them to breed all summer let alone winter.
How old are your birds? Mine haven't laid any eggs yet, but I believe this is because they are so young.

I plan to fly my birds all year long.

dogman23

Post by dogman23 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:50 am

RichK wrote:
dogman23 wrote:Do you guys fly your homers in the winter or no. This will be my first winter with birds to. I haven't been able to get them to breed all summer let alone winter.
How old are your birds? Mine haven't laid any eggs yet, but I believe this is because they are so young.

I believe mine are probably 5 months old. I figure they still might be to young yet, I don't know?

rinker

Post by rinker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:08 am

I would not shut up all of the windows, maybe shut windows on the west side of the coop if you have any. Ventilation is as important as warmth. Pigeons live under bridges and in barn lofts all winter. There is nothing keeping them warm there, they just need to be out of the direct weather.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:35 pm

dogman23 wrote:
RichK wrote:

I believe mine are probably 5 months old. I figure they still might be to young yet, I don't know?
I think mine are about the same, I think someone from here told me they were too young still.