Chippewa upland boot

atothek

Chippewa upland boot

Post by atothek » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:22 pm

Im in need of a new pair of upland boots, looking at either the Irish setter wingshooters or the chippewa briar bisons http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/upland/24946
Does anyone have any experience with either in terms of comfort, durability and if they are truly waterproof?
Thanks
Aaron

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: Chippewa upland boot

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:55 am

I don't have that particular boot & the ones I do have are not water proof nor said to be. I will say the Chip boots I have owned wear forever & don't come apart until they are wore out like some other brands.
I also believe Chips are still made in the USA unlike most other brands,that might not be of importance to some but holds some water with me.I have a pair of Irish Setters with goretex been good boots but not going to last
as long as the Chips they are all leather uppers & the leather gets very stiff after being wet & drying which don't make for being real comfortable but have been water proof.

Redfishrick

Post by Redfishrick » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:51 am

I have a pair of the Irish Setter wingshooters. I have had them for about 8 yrs. They have held up great, I use them for all my hunting activities.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:38 am

All depends on terrain which boot to get. Also, I would rather deal with cold conditions with the right socks rather than in-boot insulation. So, for all around comfort and convenience the Maine Hunting Shoe is fine for me. I have some excellent merino wool blend socks that are nice and thin but super warm. I know the MHS is old school and not the right boot for rocky areas but they are light and easy to walk and drive in.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:50 pm

I don't have either pair, but solid leather uppers will be more stiff after a number of cycles of getting wet and drying out.

atothek

Post by atothek » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 am

Those chippewas look like they have another material on the upper. I will be using these for Kansas pheasants and quail, but will be doing some chukar hunting out here in California too.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I'd buy them for that single reason.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:29 am

Ive got a pair of chipewa loggers that im very fond of, but now that my irish setter wingshooters have finally worn out after 8yrs I will be replacing them with more irish setter wingshooters.....

Jim