Another Question

S&J gsp

Another Question

Post by S&J gsp » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:22 am

On break away both dogs go over a hill dog A handler calls point dog B backs when the judge gets there he rides within 18 inches of dog B the dog moves to the side and the bird flushes the judge warns dog B's handler if he bumps another bird he will be DQ'd for it. Now I know NSTRA rules say the backing dog must be held but I think ride in that close wasn't needed

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Another Question

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:41 pm

It's wrong but it happens. I had the bird planter come out of the bushes on an ATV right in front of my dog on point who was startled - warned too. That's how field trials go sometimes.
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Is it the judge that ride's to close to the backing dog? My own feeling is if the handler did that, he is one dumb handler. If it's the judge, the other judge should have a nice talk with him. Maybe a few head butt's!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:31 pm

In NSTRA personally if the dogs get that far out ahead 1 the judge may try to help out by collaring the dog so that handler may continue the work seeing that they will only have 2 minutes to locate a bird because of the backing dog If that judge is the cause of the backing dog to move they are not to deduct points and if in any case an accidental flush of a bird That is an accident if the dog saw the bird and encroached causing the bird to flush it is a fine line but unless that dog flat out rips a bird Sorry that judge in that case made a BAD call

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:21 am

In the case I discribed the dog that was supposed to be backing was the dog that made the find the dogs were facing each other and the other handler called the point. So I was out handled and than warned for something that was not the dogs fault.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:50 am

"bleep" happens.

If the dogs were facing each other, only one of them had the wind in it's face. Perhaps the judge was trying to get a better feel for the layout and what transpired - ie. Where is the bird?

Take your perceived lumps, train for the unusual and remember that you and are dog are alive to run another day.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:24 am

I was in the learning stage and thought it was odd to get told the dog would be DQ'd for something that was caused by the judge. Now I have a good feel for NSTRA. I've had my tail handed to me by some good handlers and some nice dogs over the past two years. This year I'll be a little more competive

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:39 am

The dog was on warning for knocking a bird. Train for it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:08 am

S&J gsp wrote:I was in the learning stage and thought it was odd to get told the dog would be DQ'd for something that was caused by the judge. Now I have a good feel for NSTRA. I've had my tail handed to me by some good handlers and some nice dogs over the past two years. This year I'll be a little more competive

If the judge causes the bird to bust it is the judge not the dog still a bad call

And as for pointing here in the desert I have seen a couple times over the years where a dog went on sight point because the bird was out walking and the other dog down wind was actually doing an honest back...But should a judge not be up where they could see the dog work it could have quickly been the other way because of the wind direction.

Yes NSTRA can be a bit of a chess game at times but I see this in EVERY trial format

The last Brittany Trial I got to see a BUNCH of game playing much of which crossed the very unsportsmanlike like conduct to flat out cheating and that Pro should have been called out on the carpet for the BS he was pulling as it did loose him a client and it also put a sour taste in another New person who is getting into the sport and another person pulled two younger dogs from their braces as they didn't want this guy pulling his handling stunts on them again.

But back to NSTRA yes you learn and it can be fun to out handle your dog to a win against some good handlers . I loved those braces better then a first place sometimes...You come off the field knowing you had a good brace :wink: