Dog house ideas

MT357

Dog house ideas

Post by MT357 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi Gang,

We recently acquired a 10 month old German Shorthaired Pointer. He is used to living in an fenced in area outside but he will now be spending the nights indoors in his crate. I would like to build a kennel and dog house for him and am wondering what size is best. We are in northern MN by the way.

For his kennel, I am thinking a 6 foot chain link fence approximately 20 x 30. Is this enough? We give him lots of exercise, but three days per week he is alone for 7 hours.

For his house, it will have interior dimensions of 28" x 32" with a 26" ceiling. Walls will have 6" of fiberglass insulation and maybe an additional 1" foam board for a total R value of over 26. Door is 12" x 15" with a couple layers of heavy fabric for a door. The entrance will be covered as well.

Am I on the right track here? He won't be outside at night or the really cold days but I want him to have shelter when he needs it.

Thanks!

Martin

marysburg

Re: Dog house ideas

Post by marysburg » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:59 am

Hi MT, and welcome to the forum. It sounds like your dog will be well sheltered this winter. You could put hay in the doghouse for bedding (it doesn't track all over like straw). Have you looked at the dog house heaters that use a light bulb? They're quite safe and I'll bet others on the forum have some experience with them. Heated pet mat might be something that would work for you. Let us know how it works out.

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:02 am

I think you're overthinking this. 20 x 30 is huge. 5 x 15 would probably be plenty. 7 hours isn't that long to be alone, especially if he is in an outdoor run. A dog house is fine, but honestly a barrel laid on its side with straw in it works just as well. Even better if you put it on a stand about a foot off the ground.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:31 am

Smaller is better when it comes to the actual doghouse. You want his body heat to warm up the small space. Go small on the doghouse. As for the kennel size, most of our dogs are inside/outside hunting dogs - we have typical 6 ft by 10 ft kennels. They don't exercise themselves at all when you're not there - so no need to make it big. I read an article years ago that stated longer is better than wider, but that the "typical" hunting dog sleeps the majority of the time they're in the kennel. My next kennels will likely be 12 feet by 5 feet. Even our beagles don't have a giant kennel - there's is 10 X 12 and there are 3 of them. They still mostly laze around all day in there.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:45 am

RoostersMom wrote:Smaller is better when it comes to the actual doghouse. You want his body heat to warm up the small space. Go small on the doghouse. As for the kennel size, most of our dogs are inside/outside hunting dogs - we have typical 6 ft by 10 ft kennels. They don't exercise themselves at all when you're not there - so no need to make it big. I read an article years ago that stated longer is better than wider, but that the "typical" hunting dog sleeps the majority of the time they're in the kennel. My next kennels will likely be 12 feet by 5 feet. Even our beagles don't have a giant kennel - there's is 10 X 12 and there are 3 of them. They still mostly laze around all day in there.
Most of mine were 4X16 and the dogs do run the length of the run quite a bit. Gives them a lot more exercise than a smaller square one. Your house doesn't need all of that insulation. A 1 inch thick Styrofoam is more than enough. Most of mine were not insulated at all and the dogs stayed warm and healthy. All the dogs need is good bedding, tight house so they are out of the wind, and plenty of food. I personally like a shed type house that the front will open up for cleaning and summer use bur when closed the opening is towards the back on the side of the box and a hall way to get to it.

Ezzy

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:33 am

You are on the right track- I can't remember if you said a portion of the supposed kennel was covered ?
Here is what I have and Like it-
The concrete pad is 16 x 8 off the side of a newer shed. I extended a metal roof over it. I then split the 8 L x 16 W pad in half with a 8ft piece of cattle panel.
2 dog runs now- I chain linked in the the 16 x 8 with a door on either side . I then cut a 2 x 2 hole on each end to allow both dogs access to the pasture and framed in the hole. I then took cattle panel and made a 16 x 16 enclosure in that pasture off the dog kennels and ran another 16 ft piece down the middle- both dogs then have a 8 x 16 run in the pasture added on to the concrete pad . So each dog has a 8 x 8 piece of covered pad and then an 8 x 16 run in the pasture.
Make sure you door opening on your dog house is on one end or the other to let him get away from the wind. Both mine are double walled - insulated with some roll insualtion I had- built the top with insulation and it can be pulled off for easy cleaning. I put in grass hay for them as bedding. I'm in Northern Ut and below zero temp is often. The dogs stay in from 6:30 am until about 4:30 P.M. When I get home the dogs come out- shake off a little hay and they are warm to the touch. I think you'll find that if you make it too warm and nice they will be pulling anything you put in the house out. Dogs are pretty tough

MT357

Post by MT357 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks for the great suggestions! Should he be able to stand up in the dog house or should I keep it low to preserve body heat?

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:35 am

Where in northern Minnesota?

chrisss

Post by chrisss » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:48 am

I'm planning on making mines an winter and summer dog house. When the dog enters the house the first section is going to be uninsulated then there well be a another entrance in the that section that will lead to the insulated part of the house. This will give the dog a choice on where to sleep

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:19 pm

No reason for them to be able to stand in the dog house- get in and lay down-

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:47 pm

We need to remember he is in Northern MN. Winter temps can be sub zero for days on end. But having said that. What you have is good. The dog house I would just have the height to his withers/shoulders so he can stand and turn around. You can do a main structure and have a "vestibule" where he comes in to then turns to get into the main structure.

1" of foam is plenty but if you have it use it.. I do not like fiberglass as mice alwasy seem to find their way into it. Also make sure you seal the wood so it can be cleaned. get it up off the ground 4" or so. Or higher if that area is not covered. I make the top hinged to cleaning is easy.

The run size is what ever you can afford. The dog only needs 10 or 15' 5 to 7 ft wide.

MT357

Post by MT357 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:49 pm

chrisss wrote:I'm planning on making mines an winter and summer dog house. When the dog enters the house the first section is going to be uninsulated then there well be a another entrance in the that section that will lead to the insulated part of the house. This will give the dog a choice on where to sleep
That is exactly what I have in mind.

ibbowhunting wrote:Where in northern Minnesota?

I am just outside Duluth.

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:24 pm

Send me a pm or email with your email address I have set of plans approved by the MN humane society I'll send you they are jpeg files and need to be sent as attachments

Put dog house plans in the subject line so i dont think its spam

They are real well designed and free for the asking

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:24 pm

bigeyedfish wrote:I think you're overthinking this. 20 x 30 is huge. 5 x 15 would probably be plenty. 7 hours isn't that long to be alone, especially if he is in an outdoor run. A dog house is fine, but honestly a barrel laid on its side with straw in it works just as well. Even better if you put it on a stand about a foot off the ground.
Basically my setup. 5x16, about to pick up some barrels for this winter. Last winter I just left the girls inside when it was cold.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:10 pm

MT -

I agree with others that your dog does not need that size of run. My guys are in 5X12 runs that open into a fenced back yard. I have the kennels situated so that the coop openings are on the south side, opposite the prevailing winter winds.

The best bedding I have found was a kind of hay that grows in wet areas. It is called Reed Canary grass and it has long wide blades which stay pretty flexible and doesn't break up into small pieces or turn to dust like most straws will.

I do spray the hay with bug spray when I get it and then cover it. Not a lot of spray is necessary if you cover it. Bugs can appear out of the hay in the middle of winter from the heat of the dog. I do add some cedar chips to the bedding, mostly because it makes the dog smell good, but the chips do make pretty good bedding.

I also think you are overdoing the insulation. 2" of foam sandwiched between plywood should be plenty. The vestibule is also a terrific idea. A removable vestibule wall is even better for the summer. A vestibule also eliminates the need for an entrance cover, which most dogs will chew up as soon as you turn your back. Ask me how I know!!

Don't forget to leave some ventilation up top for moisture to escape or everything will get(and stay) damp inside.

Food and fresh water and a warm dry place to curl up is all the dog will need on even the coldest of nights.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:07 am

I planted mint around the kennel and every one in a while cut amd mix some in with the hay- keeps bugs out and I am sure other dogs comment on their minty freshness.

MT357

Post by MT357 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:10 pm

bobman wrote:Send me a pm or email with your email address I have set of plans approved by the MN humane society I'll send you they are jpeg files and need to be sent as attachments

Put dog house plans in the subject line so i dont think its spam

They are real well designed and free for the asking

PM sent, thank you