So many questions

Hern

So many questions

Post by Hern » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:00 pm

To start with I am not new to owning hunting dogs. I have owned several ES and own a GSP now. But, I have never owned a top notch hunting dog. I want one. I have a GSP puppy coming mid Oct and at this point in my life with children grown and gone I now have the time and finances and the love for dogs to train one. I would like to get involved with Trials or hunt test mostly just to be around more dog people and to learn but I have no use for a dog that can't hunt. I have heard stories and even read on this forum about dogs having to point for 5 seconds and such in certain contest (for lack of a better word). Not good in my book. How many different types of events are there and organizations associated with them? With everything I have told you which direction would you recommend? I live in north west GA, don't own a horse and love to travel. In the U.S.
Thanks.

Meller

Re: So many questions

Post by Meller » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:00 am

Look into NAVDA. :)

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:44 am

+1 on navhda or akc hunt test.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:10 am

Ask the breeder you are getting the pup from what they would recommend.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:25 pm

I've enjoyed American Field /AFTCA Walking trials for years. I enjoy competition. If you don't , choose NAVHDA or hunt tests. A well bred gundog can do do well in events + hunt effectively for you. It's all in the breeding/training. :)

"I have never owned a top notch hunting dog." quote ........... What we all want, but a challenge + luck to achieve.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Most of the trials you see where a dog must point for 5sec, or whatever, are shoot to retrieve or other tourny type trials. I would say that if you go to those trials and watch you will find that most of the competitors at the higher levels expect MUCH more from their dogs. Dont let that 5sec point fool ya.

If you are competitive AKC walking or Horse back FTs might do it for you. there are AF trials that are both walking and Horseback.

If you dont care for the competitive nature NAVHDA, and ACK both have testing where you chase a standard.

Jim

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Best thing to do is Go to the different trials and hunt test and see what YOU like. :wink: Here is a few links to some different formats
http://www.nstra.org
http://americanfield.villagesoup.com/ you can look there for trials in your area

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:19 pm

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:28 pm

Why cant a dog that trials hunt? I got this same argument today and cant understand it. Most people that hunt with me LOVE the dogs I hunt/trial behind and I have waiting list's for puppies. Some people come up with pre-concieved notions that make no sense.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Hern,

Find out which of the "games" you want to play and THEN pick out the pup from parents that excel in that field. Picking a pup first and trying to fit him into the mold of what you want is the backwards way. Not saying it won't work, but if you for example want to do NSTRA, pick a dog from a NSTRA multiple champion lines. NAVHDA - same thing. You'll have a bit more success if you go about it that way than if you just get a "good dog" and try to turn him into something he wasn't bred to be.

I, personally, really like BHU and have run some walking trials and taken my older dog through a MH title at AKC hunt tests. There are all kinds of different games depending on what you want to do with your dog.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:47 pm

http://www.nbhadog.org There are some nice trials in the GA, AL and SC area

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:05 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Hern,

Find out which of the "games" you want to play and THEN pick out the pup from parents that excel in that field. Picking a pup first and trying to fit him into the mold of what you want is the backwards way. Not saying it won't work, but if you for example want to do NSTRA, pick a dog from a NSTRA multiple champion lines. NAVHDA - same thing. You'll have a bit more success if you go about it that way than if you just get a "good dog" and try to turn him into something he wasn't bred to be.

I, personally, really like BHU and have run some walking trials and taken my older dog through a MH title at AKC hunt tests. There are all kinds of different games depending on what you want to do with your dog.
+1

Charlie