Jaws of Death

Ken Lynch

Jaws of Death

Post by Ken Lynch » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:46 pm

I have a new young dog. So far she has only caught 2 birds. However, in both cases she has crushed the guts out of the birds. I am looking for any advice on how to break a dog of this prblem and convert her over to a softer mouth.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Jaws of Death

Post by Sharon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:46 pm

How young?

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:51 pm

The puppy will turn 6 months at the end of September.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:53 am

Breed of dog ?
Why are you running the dog without a check cord ?
What does the dog do with fresh dead birds ?
What does the dog do with thawed birds ?
What does the dog do with frozen birds ?
Are you planning to Force Fetch ? ---- When ?

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:58 am

1) The breed is GSP.
2) When she caught the second bird she was on a check cord. Because of the way the bird flushed I ended up with more slack in the check cord than I could real in fast enough.
3),4), & 5) I do not know. Have not had dead birds and time to find out yet.
6) Do not normally need to force fetch but this girl might be the exception.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:42 am

Ken Lynch wrote:I have a new young dog. So far she has only caught 2 birds. However, in both cases she has crushed the guts out of the birds. I am looking for any advice on how to break a dog of this prblem and convert her over to a softer mouth.
Is this retriever training or opportunities to point training and birds were caught?
If opportunity to point:
Check cord, launcher, pigeons ,
but if she isn't pointing yet you want her to learn that she can't catch a bird. I let her chase. When she starts to hesitate, creep then no more chasing.
Just what works for me.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:08 pm

FF and dont let her catch birds

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:22 pm

FF at less than a year or better 2 seems to be on the harsh side. However she points. In fact she was not interested in chasing after flush. She seemed to lack drive. So I incuraged her to chase. The first bird was a quail which was unable to fly very well. With some incuragement she made the transition from pointing, then stalking and warmed up to chasing and eventually caught the bird. The guts came out before I could get it away from her. She was 4.5 months at that time. It was not until she was 5.5 months before she caught the pigeon. It suffered the same fate as the qual. She still points first and holds for a long time. My concern is that I will eventually have to train her to retrieve.

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:20 am

Ken Lynch wrote: My concern is that I will eventually have to train her to retrieve.
No need to be concerned. FF doesnt HAVE to be harsh. Watch the Evan Gram videos.

There is no point in having a dog that is going to mutalate the birds you shoot. You may as well just deal with the issue now and not let it get worse.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:46 am

The first bird was a quail which was unable to fly very well
Get her on pigions, or birds she cannot catch at this age. It is what I do on the young pups want to catch and kill. To soften up her mouth use a sock for retrieves in the house, do not pull sock, let her get to the point she puts it in your hand.

She was introduced to quail at like 4 weeks if this is my gal. She needs something that flys and a firm whoa when it flushes. I start out doing whoa, brakes are more important at this stage than run. Dont want her running somewhere she can get hurt.

How is her tail?

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Mark I was running her on pigeons. It was a goodflyer. However, because of wanting to hide trap so that Patch could not see it I put it in heavy cover. The cover was dence and tall. The bird got tangled in grass before it could get flying. Because of the flight path (or lack there of) the check cord got slack and patch nailed the bird before I could get slack reeled in. Here is where you can find a picture of her about a month ago. I do not currently have anything more recent. Her tail is fine. http://myplace.frontier.com/~klynch3/Ro ... -2013.html

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:51 am

Wow, she looks great. Ihad one guy say the tail on his pup was a sickel shaped. Ididnt understand what he meant but checked it out and offered to buy that pup back if he wasnt happy with her. Would this effect her in any way like in field trial or show scenario?

My big dogs knocked ovr my quail pen, ate every one of them. :) gonna take em out to a place and shoot some pen raised over them to get ready for the wild bird season.

I like the pics you take, they are very nice, Oscar will love this one :) he sure misses them pups, but he is concentrating on his pup, he is also getting ready to carry a shotgun his first time, unloaded till he ges past the class.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Ken Lynch wrote:FF at less than a year or better 2 seems to be on the harsh side.
My concern is that I will eventually have to train her to retrieve.
SILLY, SILLY comments (IMO)
FF done properly IS NOT HARSH.
Get "SmartFetch" by Evan Graham.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:01 pm

FF done properly IS NOT HARSH.
I dont like the toe pinch method. Seems kinda harsh to me. I would rather bring out the fetch instinct with a check cord and some treats.