Tell Me About Pudelpointers

Gertie

Tell Me About Pudelpointers

Post by Gertie » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Doing some homework on this breed as I know absolutely nothing about them. What are they like? Best for upland or waterfowl? Temperament? Natural retrievers? What are some good lines to look for? I know someone who is interested and told them I'd help them out with a little research. I'm sure some of you have a lot of experience with this breed and can make me look good when I come back with my homework assignment :lol: I appreciate any information you're willing to share. Thanks!

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Re: Tell Me About Pudelpointers

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:58 am

I have never seen a dog of this breed in the flesh so I look forward to reading the answers. :D

Bill T.

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:41 am

you will probably get more answers over on the versatile dogs site

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:16 am

Hey Holly, if I was going to get a versatile bred dog again, this is probably the direction that I would go. I looked long and hard at getting one before I got my Draht, actually had a deposit down on a litter that didn't take. I have hunted over quite a few and know multiple people that own them...
They are really great dual dogs upland/waterfowl. All of the ones I have seen have been high drive in the field and couch potatoes at the house, very friendly breed, not a lot of fur drive compared to other versatiles. Coats can be a crap shoot, a lot of variation from slick to wooly mammoth....
Bob Farris, cedarwoods kennel in Idaho is the big gun in the pudelpointer world in most people's eyes. There is a pudelpointer alliance, which is a group of the breeders cross breeding there lines, agreeing on testing minimums for breeding etc that has a website also.
The one big downside is if you like to play AKC games...PP's are not a AKC breed. Purely hunting bred dogs, no show dog lines...
Good Luck

Michael

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:34 am

There are a couple in my local NAVHDA club, and those have been fine dogs, I can confirm the coat variability, but is that not an issue with most if not all of the wirehair breeds?

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:26 am

Mine is 11 now. Never owned a dog that backed as natural as this one. Great noses and temperments....just like all the other pointer breeds. I dont think there is much of a difference between the PP, GWP, and GSP as far as ability is concerned. They can do anything well. The only downside is the coat, go with a darker coloured dog than a lighter, it seem like the lighter coats end up being wooly compared to darker. The other downside to the breed is the small gene pool in North America and price for a pup. Some breeders are 1500 which i think is rediculous.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:00 pm

I believe there's an article floating around right now classing them as the best versatile hunting breed known to man right now. I've never been around one but they seem to have a solid following and those who like them really like them.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:54 am

Pudel Pointers are very nice all around bird dogs. They have very good drive. They are very good water dogs. Most I have seen have a very nice point.
Coats and size vary. But wirehaired type Great personalities. If not mistaken, they have the highest percentage rate of passing the VC in NAVHDA.

Lenny from Maine, on here has one. That is one nice dog.
We have a few in our NAVHDA club.

Cedar Woods Pudel Pointers.
Bob Farris, Owner/Trainer
12635 Cedarwood Boise, ID 83709
(208) 322-7792
Email: bobfarris@cedarwoodgundogs.com

In 04 We our brace mate in MO NAVHDA VC was a big heavy coated, PP. He was a real nice animal. I was concerned for him and my Mercy GSP that day as it was in the MId 80's. I though that dog would have trouble in the field. But that was one well conditioned, well trained dog. He went through that hour in the field and looked fresh as a daisy. That day we both got VC. He had the better score with 200. ( I think that was a Cedar woods Pudel Pointer, Not sure).

Mike Pallotta
Pine Ridge Pudelpointers
2130 Regional Road #6 R.R.#5
Sunderland, Ontario L0C-1H0
Canada
(905) 985-8824

It has been a few years so not sure if Mike is still breeding. I have only made his acquaintance couple times but used to see his dogs quiet a bit years ago.

There is another Canadian Breeder of these and they are real nice too I can not think of his name.

Rick

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 am

I love them. They are really nice dogs. They have nice temperaments and are super capable and highly intelligent.

They will vary greatly in appearance from line to line and breeder to breeder, even sibling to sibling, which you would expect from a fairly new breed.

Some look like liver shorthairs with a small beard and some will look like WPG, GWP, even a Spin when they are the larger ones.

They are really nice dogs.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:00 am

Love my two- Like said many of the versatile breeds do things just as well though I have never had dogs that are socialiized so well to be family dogs also.
One has a slick coat- pretty much burr free- the new 8 mo old is a wooly boy and has his days with burrs- though even in the bath tub I have never seen a hair come off him. I picked up my pup from Bob- couldn't be more pleased.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:39 am

MonsterDad wrote:I love them. They are really nice dogs. They have nice temperaments and are super capable and highly intelligent.

They will vary greatly in appearance from line to line and breeder to breeder, even sibling to sibling, which you would expect from a fairly new breed.

Some look like liver shorthairs with a small beard and some will look like WPG, GWP, even a Spin when they are the larger ones.

Those not familiar with the Pudelpointer tend to assume that the Pudelpointer is a new breed recently developed or that it is an obscure breed rarely seen within North American hunting circles. Neither of these assumptions are true.

The Pudelpointer was developed in Germany in the late 1800's, a time when many of the other versatile hunting dogs were developed. Versatile gundogs were developed in Europe to accommodate those who hunted waterfowl , upland game and furred game while on foot and who only wanted or could afford the luxury of one dog. These dogs were bred to be multi- purpose gun dogs and they proved to be very successful. Many of these breeds were developed by crosssing various specialty breeds.The goal was to breed an intensive pointer that had a love of water and retrieving and that had the tracking ability to recover wounded or crippled game.

Ezzy

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:44 am

ezzy333 wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:I love them. They are really nice dogs. They have nice temperaments and are super capable and highly intelligent.

Those not familiar with the Pudelpointer tend to assume that the Pudelpointer is a new breed recently developed or that it is an obscure breed rarely seen within North American hunting circles. Neither of these assumptions are true.

The Pudelpointer was developed in Germany in the late 1800's, a time when many of the other versatile hunting dogs were developed. Versatile gundogs were developed in Europe to accommodate those who hunted waterfowl , upland game and furred game while on foot and who only wanted or could afford the luxury of one dog. These dogs were bred to be multi- purpose gun dogs and they proved to be very successful. Many of these breeds were developed by crosssing various specialty breeds.The goal was to breed an intensive pointer that had a love of water and retrieving and that had the tracking ability to recover wounded or crippled game.

Ezzy
Give that some breeds go back to the Romans, Egyptians & the Ancient Chinese, Pudelpointers are a new breed..........

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:33 am

MonsterDad wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy

Give that some breeds go back to the Romans, Egyptians & the Ancient Chinese, Pudelpointers are a new breed..........
Of course I should know better. They are just as new as our other sporting dogs.

Ezzy

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:00 pm

The pro I had my GSP with, had a PP in around the same time, and when I went to see my boy work, I got to see the PP do some bird work on some pigeons. While the boy dodn't have the highest tail or the most style he certainly found birds and did a good job of sticking them. Like others in this thread have said, If I decide I need a good jack of all trades after my lab dies, I may start looking for a good PP.

If nothing else the one I met had a great personality, and was a really cool looking dog falling somewhere in the middle i suppose as far as his coat went.

Jim

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:05 pm

The Brittany is depicted in paintings and on various other mediums as far back as the 1600's. The English Pointer in the 1700's.

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:54 pm

This is my boy Buck who turned (2) in June. In the photos he was between 13-16 mos

I started with Springers some (20+) yrs ago then went to a Labrador and soon after decided I wanted a pointing breed as all of the guys I hunt with had them ( mostly wirehairs). I have had GSP's, DD's, and now the Pudelpointer and a Pointer. The Pudelpointer has been by far the nicest versatile dog I have owned, he has all the tools and on top of it all has a great disposition. I can take him anywhere with other male or female dogs and have never had a single growl out of him, he loves everybody and is the kind of dog you can put on the ground anywhere and not have to constantly look over your shoulder. He is out of Ripsnorter Kennel in Ohio.

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:02 pm

Another and video of when he was 10-12 weeks

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:26 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

The Pudelpointer was developed in Germany in the late 1800's, a time when many of the other versatile hunting dogs were developed. Versatile gundogs were developed in Europe to accommodate those who hunted waterfowl , upland game and
furred game while on foot and who only wanted or could afford the luxury of one dog. These dogs were bred to be multi- purpose gun dogs and they proved to be very successful. Many of these breeds were developed by crosssing various
specialty breeds.The goal was to breed an intensive pointer that had a love of water and retrieving and that had the
tracking ability to recover wounded or crippled game.
Yep, I have talked to people who are under the impression they are across between poodles an pointers.

Charlie

Ezzy

roosterbrews

Post by roosterbrews » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 am

My PP is 6 months old now and I couldn't be happier. I started with GSP's but with my and my kids alergies it just wasn't easy so I found the PP. I can attest to our family they are hypoalergenic and ours does not shed. I understand that females will when they are in heat but we have a male. We have been working with NAVHDA in our area and in the short time with us he is just a delight. Great around the house and much more calm that a GSP. His bird drive is off the charts and he retrieved his first ducks this weekend. Over all I can't see any reason to look at other breeds.

He is out of Rock Creek Minnesota Scott Kosson is the breeder And he and his wife are very open to answering questions.