A Question On Style

QuailHollow

A Question On Style

Post by QuailHollow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:39 pm

I have a young adult dog (English Pointer) that we have been running in AKC field trials. We had him with a friend of ours who is also a pro trainer. Unfortunately, he is highly spirited and wagged and whipped so much that knocked his tail wide open during training then chewed it up that night in the kennel.. despite vet wraps. (Side note; this actually happened to us at a National Specialty show because he busted the tip open on a vari kennel, then splashed blood up both sides of his body.. so nothing new there.) I don't blame my trainer at all. He's a good guy and kept us informed every day. Anyway - As a result, we had to amputate about 3 to 4" off the top. It's about the length of a 'too-long' Vizsla dock. Would this affect 'style' on this dog when he's run? Thoughts? He'd be running Open Derby throughout the October month. He won't be 2 until February.

dead mike

Re: A Question On Style

Post by dead mike » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Unfortunately yes :cry:

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Bummer. The trainer said he felt it wouldn't affect him at all. He raises German Shorthairs and is pretty competitive with them. I'm new to this, so, I wasn't sure how much time and effort to invest now that he's been docked..

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:53 pm

It should actually help tighten the tail up ..

I know quite a few pointers and setters that have tail issues or what I call Rat tails from whipping them in the brush or beating them in the kennels.

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Yeah, he's carrying the 'stub' a lot higher than he ever did before. It hasn't been 2 weeks yet, so, we haven't put him on birds since he hasn't healed up completely.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:07 pm

It wouldn't bother me any. Not at all :D

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:11 pm

If he is the best dog in the field that day he will place. I think the problem will be when there is another dog that has had the same performance and it comes down to chosing a dog with a missing tail. Regardless dont let it get you down, a good dog is a good dog

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We are running him more for practice and to get experience. He has his Open Puppy & Derby points already, but he's not ready for broke stakes. The trainer told a mutual friend of ours that he really liked the dog. Said he personality was great, and he was the 'real deal'. I chuckled at that. I'm too new to understand what that means. I'm just glad the dog is doing as well as he is, and hoped the tail injury didn't put an end to the progress.

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Run the dog and don't worry. Good judges may notice the missing length, but won't care as long as it doesn't flag and he carries it well while on the move and on point.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Your pro is right, it is a non issue in AKC trials. In AF, it would only matter to a few inexperienced judges. Biggest concern to some is that it was done to cover up a severe sickle tail, which is a fault.

Not to worry.

Neil

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:41 pm

As Neil said....in my experience in AKC it won't matter....good dog is a good dog, and there is more to style then just a tail.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:12 pm

Lesters Snowatch had 3-4 inches removed also, and he won the Nationals..... Take that for what its worth

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:50 am

Yeah, I had no idea. Thanks for the words of advice. It's appreciated. He's running in open derby this weekend.