Dog Houses

Hunting cop

Dog Houses

Post by Hunting cop » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:11 am

Does anyone know anybody who makes good dog houses in Kentucky or Central Tennessee?

displaced_texan

Re: Dog Houses

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:14 pm

Barrels off Craigslist.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:46 am

I just made 7 of these for about $125. Barrels from Craigslist, PVC from the hardware store.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:27 pm

Those look almost exactly like the ones I made years ago. I thought the pvc would hold up better than anything else. Boy was I wrong. Even after securing the barrel to the pvc and the barrel to the back wall of the kennel, the dogs were still able to tear them apart. Even used F-26 adhesive to attach every piece of pvc together. Maybe your dogs are more civilized than mine, but I had to end up using treated 2x4's to make the bases for the barrels. If I had the capability, I would have welded a frame together for the barrels. The 55gal drums are the way to go for a dog house though.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:47 pm

I have French Brittany's so of course they are quite cultured and refined!! LOL

I figure that if the dogs tear them up once a year and I have to redo the frames it is still worth it. I like PVC over wood as I don't have to worry about urine soaking in and the smell.

I have my kennel panels raised up off the floor 4 inches using PVC legs. Instead of pouring a concrete floor, because it would take 2 years to finally get a contractor out and it would have been extremely expensive where I live, I made sloped frames from 2X4s with 2' centers, with 5/8 particle board subfloor , and 1/2 inch cement board over that and then tiled the floor. I love how easy it is to clean the floor, and with the panels raised off the floor I just squeegee under them and the kennels stay clean and it takes me maybe 15 minutes to clean all 7 kennels.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:16 pm

You can hang the barrels from chains around the top rail of your kennels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hunting cop

Post by Hunting cop » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:53 pm

I like the barrel idea and I bet its cheap to make to