beeper collars

lockedncupped

beeper collars

Post by lockedncupped » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:31 am

This season will be my first time hunting behind a pointing dog of my own. It will also have been 25 years since I hunted behind my uncles as a boy. Back then they didn't use beeper collars. I have hunted my springer with a bell while grouse hunting and found it to be an asset. I am looking for your guys opinion on beeper collars. I am thinking about buying the add on for my e-collar. If I do opt for one, should I let the dog where it out in the field while playing to condition him for it.....or opening day here just slap it on him and cut him loose in the field and no harm will be done. Also as loud as them things are.....any possibility they can damage a pooch's hearing. I mean a beep every 10 seconds, and then hit with a hawk screech the first time you point a wild rooster.

Thanks for you thoughts,
JJ

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: beeper collars

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:30 am

The Garmin has been worth the money for me.

Most of my dogs go deaf at 12 - 13, I have noticed no difference pre, with or post beeper.

Be sure to condition the dog to the beeper.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:08 pm

I just personally hate listening to a beeper. I sold all mine.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:11 am

I'm with Texan. I've got one that is gathering dust. I prefer a bell. I find the beeper to be slightly annoying.
Could it damage hearing? I don't know, probably not, but it sure is loud if it's next to your ear.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:39 am

lockedncupped wrote:This season will be my first time hunting behind a pointing dog of my own. It will also have been 25 years since I hunted behind my uncles as a boy. Back then they didn't use beeper collars. I have hunted my springer with a bell while grouse hunting and found it to be an asset. I am looking for your guys opinion on beeper collars. I am thinking about buying the add on for my e-collar. If I do opt for one, should I let the dog where it out in the field while playing to condition him for it.....or opening day here just slap it on him and cut him loose in the field and no harm will be done. Also as loud as them things are.....any possibility they can damage a pooch's hearing. I mean a beep every 10 seconds, and then hit with a hawk screech the first time you point a wild rooster.

Thanks for you thoughts,
JJ

A beeper can be a surprise for a dog not accustomed to one...there can be harm to a slapped on anything.

I preferred a bell and point-only beeper for grouse hunting but the Astro effectively dropped the beeper and retained the bell.

I doubt that a beeper would damage a dog's hearing but some, my preferred ATS for example, was under the neck, with others sitting proud on top of the neck...the latter likely better re hearing...dog and hunter.
Still, no better beeper than the gone ATS.
Hawk scream?...not on a bet....just me.
The big FT clanger bells may affect some dog's hearing.....especially long-term and in certain terrain.

Llovett has a nice add-on beeper.

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:41 am

Go with the collar that has the locator button. Then your not having to listen to it beep every 5 seconds or on point. Just hit the locate button if you have lost track of your dog, one small beep and you have him located again. If my dog hears the beep tone he finds me. I have the DT system.

Vman

Post by Vman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:39 am

Some folks don`t like a beeper and then there are folks like me that can`t stand a bell. I don`t hunt for the salvation army. Too each his own and that is fine. But if you buy a good collar like the Dogtra T&B you will get an E-collar and a beeper. The beeper can be used as a locator only if you want. it can be set too Point only if you want, and of course it can be set too beep every 6-7 seconds and while on Point. But the beauty of this collar is the ability too turn the volume down. If you have good ears and a close working dog I can understand the annoying beeper. So just turn the beeper down. If you move to wide open cover you can turn the beeper volume up if you like. Plus turnign the volume down makes introducing the beeper a snap.No duct tape and cotton balls or any other garage trick. Hardly does any good too train all summer anticipating the fall hunt and when the dog goes on point you don`t know where he is at. That is building a bridge and wading the river.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Vman wrote:Some folks don`t like a beeper and then there are folks like me that can`t stand a bell. I don`t hunt for the salvation army. Too each his own and that is fine. But if you buy a good collar like the Dogtra T&B you will get an E-collar and a beeper. The beeper can be used as a locator only if you want. it can be set too Point only if you want, and of course it can be set too beep every 6-7 seconds and while on Point. But the beauty of this collar is the ability too turn the volume down. If you have good ears and a close working dog I can understand the annoying beeper. So just turn the beeper down. If you move to wide open cover you can turn the beeper volume up if you like. Plus turnign the volume down makes introducing the beeper a snap.No duct tape and cotton balls or any other garage trick. Hardly does any good too train all summer anticipating the fall hunt and when the dog goes on point you don`t know where he is at. That is building a bridge and wading the river.
Very funny! :) I don't use a bell or a continuous beeper . I use the Dogtra 2500BT which has a locator beeper too. Only use it when necessary.I enjoy the quietness of the woods.