Dog Food

trasmuson3

Dog Food

Post by trasmuson3 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:53 am

Hey everyone, I was wondering what kinds of dog food you use for your dogs? I have been using the Joy dog food for about the last year or so, but it seems like most places aren't carrying it anymore and it is getting really hard to find these days. I was looking for any recomendations that anyone has for a good dog food that is comparable to Joy? Ever since I put them on this food, their coats have looked great and they have kept a very consistent weight on and haven't had any problems with their stool or anything. So does anyone recommend anything that is comparable? Thank you in advance!

Double Shot Banks

Re: Dog Food

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:05 pm

I use diamond,
But im sure there will be hundreds of comments in minutes, The dogfood topic on this forum is crazy

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:32 pm

I use Purina Pro Plan Sport Performance 30/20. I use it because my dogs like it, they look good, their coats look good, and they stay in good shape on it.

I don't know enough about the science and nutrition of dog food to join in on the dog food debates on this forum but I'd like to think that I'm feeding them a decent quality food and like I said they are in good shape and like the food.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:05 pm

Loyall. Wasted tons of money in the "premium" foods like orijen, blue and Acana and nothing has worked as well for my boy like loyall has. Glad I made the switch.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:07 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Loyall. Wasted tons of money in the "premium" foods like orijen, blue and Acana and nothing has worked as well for my boy like loyall has. Glad I made the switch.
Loyall

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:23 pm

If it has ground corn and poultry by products it will probably do your hard working dogs well.

lockedncupped

Post by lockedncupped » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:30 pm

"If it has ground corn and poultry by products it will probably do your hard working dogs well."

My vet told me to stay away from any food that had corn, or meat by products. He told me the 1st 5 ingrediants will tell the story. If they look ok, your probably good to go.

I have been using the 4 health performance by the way.....switched from blue couldn't afford it. No problems, although my dog isn't as muscular as other dogs I have seen. Not sure if this is genetics, or not......mine has longer legs than those dogs :D perfect imo for the grassy plains!

deke

Post by deke » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:03 pm

I feed my dog Kirkland, which is made by diamond I believe. My dogs seem to like it and their coats and teeth have never looked better.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:21 pm

slistoe wrote:If it has ground corn and poultry by products it will probably do your hard working dogs well.
as long as it is processed where they can get something out of it The dogs are good to go go go go go :mrgreen:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:24 pm

slistoe wrote:If it has ground corn and poultry by products it will probably do your hard working dogs well.

The main two ingredients for hard working dogs, and the industry proves it. Go to a trial or any performance contest and I will guess way over 90% of the dogs will be on a feed containing those two ingredients. I do think there are other feeds that are good too but they will probably run you a lot more money due to some exotic meat source and a more expensive source of carbs.

There are hundreds of good feeds and very few bad ones as they do not last long in this very competitive field.

Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:58 pm

lockedncupped wrote:"If it has ground corn and poultry by products it will probably do your hard working dogs well."

My vet told me to stay away from any food that had corn, or meat by products. He told me the 1st 5 ingrediants will tell the story. If they look ok, your probably good to go.

I have been using the 4 health performance by the way.....switched from blue couldn't afford it. No problems, although my dog isn't as muscular as other dogs I have seen. Not sure if this is genetics, or not......mine has longer legs than those dogs :D perfect imo for the grassy plains!
Total nonsense!

Charlie

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:08 pm

I've had good luck with Loyall, too, but it's not as inexpensive as it was a short while ago. Curious as to which formula the other Loyall folks have been feeding. I used to get Professional in a 50# bag for $44. It's now $45 for 40#. Wondering how much of a drop-off users have seen when dropping to the Active Adult.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:22 pm

I'm feeding the active adult because my guy needs lower protein due to growth issues. Once he's fully grown I plan on switching him to the 30/20 formula

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:11 pm

birddogger wrote:
lockedncupped wrote:"If it has ground corn and poultry by products it will probably do your hard working dogs well."

Total nonsense!

Charlie

+infinitey

My vet hunts his dogs...he never tried to tell me such a statement. By products are actually better because they have more nutrients in them than whole meats. When whole meats are cooked down there is hardly anything left because they have so much moisture in them. And guess where any nutrients they once had goes?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:42 pm

+infinitey

My vet hunts his dogs...he never tried to tell me such a statement. By products are actually better because they have more nutrients in them than whole meats. When whole meats are cooked down there is hardly anything left because they have so much moisture in them. And guess where any nutrients they once had goes?[/quote]

The high priced foods that use whole meats lose 80% due to water. Byproducts are not feet and beaks as some people will try to say. They are mainly internal organs where most of the nutrients are found. As a side note grain free is completely unnecessary unless you're dog has specific allergies which very few do. High quality grains are an excellent source of carbs and fiber for your dog

SD44

Post by SD44 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:35 pm

I tried the more high end foods like Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance etc. My dogs hardly ate and lost weight. I switched back to Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20.
They all have put weight back on and eat every serving. Their coats look great and shiny. I trial my dogs and they burn through so much energy. The only food that has given them the energy and maintained the weight is Pro Plan Sport.

Find the dog food that works for your dog and stick with it.

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:28 pm

I feed a new brand called road kill...

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:50 pm

I have, over the years, fed a bunch of different feeds, including Joy and yes...Ol' Roy. In all those years there have been only two feeds that did not do well for my animals.

Quite a while ago, I narrowed my choices to those feeds which contain 30% protein and 20% fat, or very close to that.

I did that because I found that the high protein/high fat ration was much more efficient in keeping weight on an active dog, keeping their energy level up and their general health good... and there was waaaaay less poop to scoop.

I currently feed Blue Seal Performance. It is a 30/20 feed, currently costs about $34 for 40# and I get coupon for a free bag for every 12.

Honestly, if I had only one dog, I would buy Purina Pro Plan Performance and not look back. The comparable Iams or Royal Canin would be a good second choice.

A trainer I know feeds Loyall and is pleased with how their dogs look and perform.

RayG

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:32 pm

ckirsch wrote:I've had good luck with Loyall, too, but it's not as inexpensive as it was a short while ago. Curious as to which formula the other Loyall folks have been feeding. I used to get Professional in a 50# bag for $44. It's now $45 for 40#. Wondering how much of a drop-off users have seen when dropping to the Active Adult.
Great luck with Loyall also. $33 for active adult here. Have noticed no difference since switching from Professional. He hunts 3-5 days a week, from cold water retrieving to open plains upland. He is always in great shape, I have no complaints.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:15 am

I feed Pro Pac....used to feed Loyall but it did not do well for two of our dogs, so we switched to Pro Pac. My favorite food was National from Wisconsin, but it stopped being available to me, so I made the switch to others.

Have landed on Pro Pac and it seems to do well for my dogs. I feed the puppy formula. Two of our dogs are on Purina Pro Plan though - they do better on it.

Like many others, I've agonized (yep - agonized) over what to feed the dogs to keep them at their peak performance and reduce health issues. All of this and I have really come to the conclusion that if you feed a decent feed that they like and look good on (and have good energy) - then you just need to stick with that feed.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:06 am

I'm currently feeding Red Paw Power Edge 32K to my english setter and American Natural Premium to my Lab. My setter is 4 and both a trial and hunting dog and my lab is 9 and a hunting dog. Both are great foods for my dogs, but my setter, who is a picky is sick of the Red Paw (her third large bab) so she doesn't want to eat. The American Natural Premium works well for my lab. It is not as "hot" a food as the Red Paw, but my lab isn't nearly as active as my setter I don't need to feed her that type of food. I look for corn in the food and I feel I get better performance when they are fed food with corn.

I've always like Pro Plan Performance (PPP), but it is expensive and I got similar results feeding Diamond Performance so I used to feed Diamond Performance over PPP mainly because of the cost factor.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:11 am

If I had a Costco up here I would probably get the Kirkland- I use the Sams Simply Right- Dogs have been doing fine on it for the last few years.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:50 am

Grange wrote:I'm currently feeding Red Paw Power Edge 32K to my english setter and American Natural Premium to my Lab. My setter is 4 and both a trial and hunting dog and my lab is 9 and a hunting dog. Both are great foods for my dogs, but my setter, who is a picky is sick of the Red Paw (her third large bab) so she doesn't want to eat. The American Natural Premium works well for my lab. It is not as "hot" a food as the Red Paw, but my lab isn't nearly as active as my setter I don't need to feed her that type of food. I look for corn in the food and I feel I get better performance when they are fed food with corn.

I've always like Pro Plan Performance (PPP), but it is expensive and I got similar results feeding Diamond Performance so I used to feed Diamond Performance over PPP mainly because of the cost factor.
Dog owners typically are the ones that make dogs picky eaters. If you put the food down, twenty minutes later pick it up, whether it is eaten, not eaten or half eaten. Do that a few days in a row. If the dog is hungry, it will eat what is put in front of it. If it is really hungry it will eat darn near anything.

The only exception I would make to that practice is when the dog is hunting hard and especially if it is hunting hard and on the road hunting for multiple days. Then I would do whatever it takes to get nutrition into the dog, which is usually bone tired and ready to sleep... soaking the feed warm water, bacon grease, chunks of white bread, whatever. Gotta stoke that fire when they are burning it up.

RayG

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Loyall!!! I don't think most dogs don't need the Professional formula and Active Adult is very good. I would like to try the High Performance sometime though.

Here is a way you can get three $5 coupons.

Just go to:
http://www.nutrenaworld.com/loyallreferral/
Fill in the information. The Code you need to enter is 30113
Anyone can do this and you can give it to your friends to do as well.
I get credit for a referral if you do not already feed Loyall.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:29 pm

He told me the 1st 5 ingrediants will tell the story
Sounds like the comercial on TV about some blue food or something :) dogs will eat garbage and do OK :) I use PMI but thats just me, Idont go for the comercials on tv kinds guy.

Used to feed purina dog chow.

Took 4 lbs of freezer burnt hamburger, got me a huge pot of water boiling, added the burgerand cooked until tinypieces ere there, added a big bag of rice. Put lid on and turned off heat. Let rice suck up the juices, dogs will fight over this food :) I gotta separate them and feed each one by it self. They want every drop......

I get entrails from the meat shop and do this a few times a month during the season. My dogs will hunt all day every day.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:56 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
Grange wrote:I'm currently feeding Red Paw Power Edge 32K to my english setter and American Natural Premium to my Lab. My setter is 4 and both a trial and hunting dog and my lab is 9 and a hunting dog. Both are great foods for my dogs, but my setter, who is a picky is sick of the Red Paw (her third large bab) so she doesn't want to eat. The American Natural Premium works well for my lab. It is not as "hot" a food as the Red Paw, but my lab isn't nearly as active as my setter I don't need to feed her that type of food. I look for corn in the food and I feel I get better performance when they are fed food with corn.

Dog owners typically are the ones that make dogs picky eaters. If you put the food down, twenty minutes later pick it up, whether it is eaten, not eaten or half eaten. Do that a few days in a row. If the dog is hungry, it will eat what is put in front of it. If it is really hungry it will eat darn near anything.

The only exception I would make to that practice is when the dog is hunting hard and especially if it is hunting hard and on the road hunting for multiple days. Then I would do whatever it takes to get nutrition into the dog, which is usually bone tired and ready to sleep... soaking the feed warm water, bacon grease, chunks of white bread, whatever. Gotta stoke that fire when they are burning it up.

RayG

Yup if she doesn't eat the food when it is put down I pick it up and she doesn't get to eat until it's feeding time again. The setter will go several meals without eating and when she gets hungry enough she will eat. Problem is if she doesn't eat her stamina suffers and as you know that's not good for a trial. She will also not eat when we travel to trials even if she likes the food as I think she is too excited. What I am doing now is mixing her food with a little canned dog food and she will clean her bowl. I'm in a big trial tomorrow so I'll mix up her food with a little canned food tonight.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:06 pm

ckirsch wrote:I've had good luck with Loyall, too, but it's not as inexpensive as it was a short while ago. Curious as to which formula the other Loyall folks have been feeding. I used to get Professional in a 50# bag for $44. It's now $45 for 40#. Wondering how much of a drop-off users have seen when dropping to the Active Adult.
Only thing you can do is try as every dog responds differently :wink:

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:12 pm

If you don't mind buying on-line, Dr. Tim's Pursuit or Momentum is the way to go, quality, results and price.

Petflow.com ships out of Vegas so the food will be there in 2 days, free shipping and no sales tax.

Otherwise, I like Pro Pac very much as well as PMI Exclusive in the purple bag. PMI Exclusive if you have a Purina Mills dealer near is a steal.

PMI also sells a food called Red Flannel that is probably priced like JOY. People seems to like it very much.

JakeLeg

Post by JakeLeg » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Black Bag Black Gold, always served me well

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:29 pm

I wasnt Familier with Loyall , goggle it and found my Feed store sells it. Ill have to check it out and their price,

Been Feeding Canidae. My feed store has a killer price on the 44lb for $42 , $12-13 cheaper than other feed stores around here

Got a new pup so he is getting mix 50/50 of ProPlan Puppy and a High Quality grain free for now.

I also notice a few days ago Diamond brand new grain free food at my feed store.

Fieldmaster

Post by Fieldmaster » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:54 am

We feed and love the results we have gotten out of Victor Dog food . They are are out of Texas.

http://www.victordogfood.com/

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:22 am

Grange wrote:Yup if she doesn't eat the food when it is put down I pick it up and she doesn't get to eat until it's feeding time again. The setter will go several meals without eating and when she gets hungry enough she will eat. Problem is if she doesn't eat her stamina suffers and as you know that's not good for a trial. She will also not eat when we travel to trials even if she likes the food as I think she is too excited. What I am doing now is mixing her food with a little canned dog food and she will clean her bowl. I'm in a big trial tomorrow so I'll mix up her food with a little canned food tonight.
An old time vet I used to work for always mixed a little wet cat food into the dog food if a dog didn't want to eat. Picky boarders and even sick dogs would go for it.
I buy the little foofy cans of cat food at Big Lots or wherever the price is good. Easy to take along to trials, one can in with the kibble is plenty, no fuss with saving stinky leftovers. None of my crew ever refuses to eat on the road if I use the cat food :D

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:18 am

Fieldmaster wrote:We feed and love the results we have gotten out of Victor Dog food . They are are out of Texas.

http://www.victordogfood.com/
Same here. Some dogs are different though, so it may take a little experimenting. My last one was an extremely muscular dog, and a hard keeper, the only thing he really did well on was the Diamond Extreme Athlete. I tried it with the new pups, just gave me lousy stools. Way to hot for them, they do better on a 24/20 feed.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:26 am

shags wrote:
Grange wrote:Yup if she doesn't eat the food when it is put down I pick it up and she doesn't get to eat until it's feeding time again. The setter will go several meals without eating and when she gets hungry enough she will eat. Problem is if she doesn't eat her stamina suffers and as you know that's not good for a trial. She will also not eat when we travel to trials even if she likes the food as I think she is too excited. What I am doing now is mixing her food with a little canned dog food and she will clean her bowl. I'm in a big trial tomorrow so I'll mix up her food with a little canned food tonight.
An old time vet I used to work for always mixed a little wet cat food into the dog food if a dog didn't want to eat. Picky boarders and even sick dogs would go for it.
I buy the little foofy cans of cat food at Big Lots or wherever the price is good. Easy to take along to trials, one can in with the kibble is plenty, no fuss with saving stinky leftovers. None of my crew ever refuses to eat on the road if I use the cat food :D
Great tip!!

I don't have cats but anyone I ever knew who had both cats and dogs would comment that the dogs would rather eat the catfood than their own.

RayG

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:34 pm

The dogs like cat food better for two reasons 1) There is usually more animal protein in cat food and 2) Because cats generally don't like dry food there are alot more appetite stimulants in cat food.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:03 pm

MonsterDad wrote:The dogs like cat food better for two reasons 1) There is usually more animal protein in cat food and 2) Because cats generally don't like dry food there are alot more appetite stimulants in cat food.
Cat food is all meat and water. Cats are carnivores and need the meat. A lot of cats eat dry kibble too but I have no idea what the formulas are for it or even what ingredients they are using. I just know dogs like it. But they also love horse, cat, rabbit, and deer manure along with anything rotten.

Ezzy

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Monstersdad, don't use kibble, use canned cat food. The stinkier the better :)

Ray, your friends with both cats and dogs will attest to the fact that dogs like cat food both before AND after it's been through the cat, :o :o :o

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:55 pm

shags wrote:
Ray, your friends with both cats and dogs will attest to the fact that dogs like cat food both before AND after it's been through the cat, :o :o :o
True. If you have dogs, all litter boxes are self cleaning!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Ezzy reminded me...

If I wanted my dogs to eat something...anything, all I would have to do is drop in a couple of fairly fresh "horse apples".

I have seen the filthy, disgusting little SOB's snarf up an "apple" from the dead run when training here at home. Then they suck it down without missing a stride.

Uuuugh!

DOGS!!

RayG