Pointer doesn't drink enough. Any ideas???

SCT

Pointer doesn't drink enough. Any ideas???

Post by SCT » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:27 am

I would like to get my female pointer to drink more water. Anyone have any ideas to encourage that besides mixing water with her food?? I don't want to feed her before going to the field, but would like to hydrate her before running her.

tjsnipehunter

Re: Pointer doesn't drink enough. Any ideas???

Post by tjsnipehunter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:43 am

Maybe try adding honey to the water? I've never met a dog wise enough to be proactive on hydration. Just have to have plenty of water along when they need it.

Tim

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:11 am

My puppy is the same way, I put ice cubes in his water and it does the trick

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 am

Glycocharge

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:24 am

In my experience dogs drink when they are thirsty. Some just don't want as much water.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:11 am

I for years worried about My GSP Mercy; I do not know how she survives yet she does, 14 years almost. Now that she is so old, I do now put water and canned food just to make sure she eats and gets enough water to break down the dry kibble that is mixed in.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:32 am

SCT -

Cut the dog loose and then call it in about five minutes into the run and offer water. If the dog is thirsty, it will drink. If not...not.

Different dogs reaquired different hydration levels it seems. I have had some that will stand in the puddle and look around while their bracemate is down on its belly slurping it up or all they are worth. Same level of exertion same time on the ground...different requirements.

RayG

SD44

Post by SD44 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:24 am

I have an 18 months GSP that is the same way. I am very concerned about him getting heat exhaustion or heat stroke. When he wont drink water, I take a water bottle and pour cool water into his mouth. He won't drink the water but seems to help cool him off a bit. Not sure if it does any good but makes me feel better anyway.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:32 am

displaced_texan wrote:In my experience dogs drink when they are thirsty. Some just don't want as much water.
X2 There seems to be a correlation between when I feel thirsty and when I think they should be thirsty..:)

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:49 am

Mine don't drink enough when hunting. They refuse, I know they don't drink enough because when they get back home they drink a gollon each. I think they would perform better if they were hydrated when they hunt. Heck athletes hydrate before performances whether thirsty or not. I know if I am not feeling well and I drink a few litres of water whether I am thirsty or not I feel better afterwards.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:58 pm

If they are thirsty, they drink. My pointer drinks like crazy, my GSP not so much.

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Sounds like there are no answers to my question because many have tried things with no success. I now have four dogs from this line and they just refuse to drink unless it's really hot or they've worked when it's hot. Do they need it? maybe not. But, I would feel better if they'd drink a few ounces before I run them. She will drink water with her food which pleases me, just wish I could get her to drink early, before a run.

Thanks all,

Steve

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:39 pm

someone recommended Glycocharge and I suppose it could work because its laced with liver

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:51 pm

In winter I add chicken or turkey stock (low sodium-homemade) to the water to get them to drink before it freezes. About 1/4 cup broth per gallon water depending on the dog.

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:42 pm

mountaindogs wrote:In winter I add chicken or turkey stock (low sodium-homemade) to the water to get them to drink before it freezes. About 1/4 cup broth per gallon water depending on the dog.
I like this idea even just for some early morning water.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:19 pm

SCT wrote:Sounds like there are no answers to my question because many have tried things with no success. I now have four dogs from this line and they just refuse to drink unless it's really hot or they've worked when it's hot. Do they need it? maybe not. But, I would feel better if they'd drink a few ounces before I run them. She will drink water with her food which pleases me, just wish I could get her to drink early, before a run.

Thanks all,

Steve
Don't worry about your feelings, worry about the dogs needs, and they know how much water they need better than you.

You can force a dog to drink by pouring water down its throat.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Winchey wrote:Glycocharge
Ditto.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Here's some ideas.

I agree that some dogs need more water than others - my five are a perfect example. But, I still like to (at least) encourage my dogs to drink a little more when we are going hunting, or training on warm or hot days. I put a small amount of milk or some chicken fat in their water. But, because I don't want to "over water" them, I don't give them too much because they love it and will drink as much as I give them. I've also read that feeding a diet with a higher fat content will help keep dogs hydrated.

SCT

Post by SCT » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:28 am

I do feed high fat food and also add raw chicken and hamburger to their food. My dogs have no clue when we're going out in the field so they don't know to hydrate prior to running :lol: I'll probably just dose their "prior to running" water with some chicken stock. Done deal!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:42 am

SCT wrote:I do feed high fat food and also add raw chicken and hamburger to their food.

that may be why they don't drink much. And remember that a belly full of water (or food) prior to a run is a good recipe for gastric torsion, which pretty much equals death in most cases. most dogs would only need about 40 mls of water per pound of body weight per day, on the high end. Maybe a little more, depending on conditions.

SCT

Post by SCT » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks Doc, but I would never give her a belly full of water or food before a run. Just a few ounces like stated earlier.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:32 pm

I add K9 SuperFuel to their water if I think they need more hydration but I do it after they run. Too much before or immediately after is asking for trouble.

cbump

Post by cbump » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:10 am

My dog didn't want a drink during our NAVHDA field run yesterday and the judge walked up and said "this is how you water a dog" and grabbed his muzzle and literally shoved the water bottle in his mouth and poured water down his throat. I was just like, ok. lol

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:18 am

cbump wrote:My dog didn't want a drink during our NAVHDA field run yesterday and the judge walked up and said "this is how you water a dog" and grabbed his muzzle and literally shoved the water bottle in his mouth and poured water down his throat. I was just like, ok. lol
On very rare occasions in the heat of summer (100°+) I've done that. Usually when I didn’t have a bowl available. My last dog didn't like drinking when I poured it out of the bottle.