13 month old GSP - pointing on lead, what to do?

myersc

13 month old GSP - pointing on lead, what to do?

Post by myersc » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi - I have a 13-month old GSP and though I wasn't a hunter prior to owning her, I am educating myself and am working with her so we can hunt. The question I have is we get in to situations where I have her on a 15 foot lead and she holds point on Robins, I say whoa and she stays on point, but at that point I'm not sure what to do. I'm able to walk up to her side and then odd time she slowly looks over at me. I believe she is waiting for me to release her with OK, but I'm not really sure. Any help is appreciated. At this point she is good with sit, heel, whoa (not consistent), come/here.

I have also started using a e-collar (Sportdog) and have the setting on 2. I'm taking it very slow with her and so far she is doing really good. I also have a question on when to use the 'tone' on the e-collar. I may put that in a separate post or do a search in the forum.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: 13 month old GSP - pointing on lead, what to do?

Post by shags » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:27 am

You need to find a training system that fits you and follow it. Using dibs and dabs from many different ones can confuse a new trainer and his dog. Try Rick and Ronnie Smith's Silent Command System, or Maurice Lindley's book "Training With Mo". They are straighforward and user friendly. There are loads of other methods and everyone has a favorite. One is not necessarily better than another; find one that makes sense you and clicks in your mind.

Unless you plan on hunting robins, it's probably time to ignore your dog's point on them. You are encouraging sight pointing which can come back to bite you later. Your dog needs to learn to use his nose on game birds or for early training, pigeons. To get started in using training birds you might find a local breed club and find a member who can help you, or locate a NAVHDA chapter and attend a training day. With bird dog training, seeing it done is much better than reading it, especially in the very beginning :)

When you're ready to put your dog on pigeons or game birds don't walk up to alongside a dog on point. That will encourage the dog to move forward and bust his birds. It also encourages head slinging as your dog is already doing. When your dog is scent pointing, approach from more of a 9 or 3 oclock position relative to the dog, 10 or 2 might be better. That way your dog can see you, your presence acts as a physical block to rushing, and you can flush the bird while keeping an eye on your pup.

Of course when you are introducing a new command you'll need to repeat it until the dog understands. But it's generally better to not speak to a dog in training unless you want it to do something other than what it's doing. Talking too much can lead to nagging which makes you edgy and when you get edgy, so does your dog. Not good. A cautionary command might be necessary, but use only when you have to. If you tell your dog to sit, and he sits, or if he's just sitting somewhere on his own, you don't keep saying, "Sit" "Sit" do you? Same thing when you dog is already standing still. "Whoa" means stop moving and stand perfectly still. If he's already doing that you don't need to nag him.

Can you explain why and how you are using an ecollar at this stage in training? That information can help folks here help you.

Good luck with your pooch. It's great that you're ready to allow all that bird dog DNA to express itself :lol:

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:33 pm

It shows she is very pointified but I would not be using this activity as a training aid.

Pointing game is the deal. I like Delmar Smith's book, get it and read it on Pointing dogs.

Pepper

myersc

Post by myersc » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:38 pm

I'm only using the e-collar for behaviour correction and am following Pat Nolan's ecollar training information. When she doesn't come she gets a nick but that's only after giving her the opportunity to come after me saying it twice to her. 90% of the time she comes on the first come. I am working on quartering with her on two short whistles and was considering using the ecollar's tone functionality (beep,beep) for quartering?

I have been reading Richard Weaver's Training your Pointing Dog. I will however check out the other books I was referred to. Forums are also invaluable sources of information for me.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:53 am

Get training With Mo. book and dvd. :)

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:55 am

6 different people will give you 6 different suggestions. Pick a training program and stick as closely as possible to it. Whether it be one for retrievers or pointy dog there are a bunch out there that are good and work.

Put the E-collar away before you do someting wrong with it and ruin her. Go buy some sort of book or DVD on training your bird dog.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:21 am

myersc -

First...congratulations and welcome to the world of pointing dogs. Have fun and enjoy. They are only puppies for a short time.

I am one of those folks who likes to know about things from several perspectives and then to make a choice.

That being said, I would recommend that you buy and read a few books. None of the ones I recommend below are expensive or lengthy.

Training Pointing dogs - Paul Long

Best Way to train your gundog. The Delmar Smith Method - Bill Tarrant

Favorite ways to train your bird dog - Mark Payton

Training with Mo - Martha Greenlee

The first two books detail older methods for training. They have worked successfully from then 'till now.

The third book is less of a start to finish training manual and more about describing different ways to perform a a portion of the training process.

Training with Mo is a very good choice for a low pressure, start to finish training program that is easy to follow.

I have taken things from each and every one of the books above, as well as many others, but I completely agree with picking a program that makes sense to you and following it. Reading several of these books, probably in the order listed, will give you a more complete understanding of the training process and allow you to make a more informed choice for yourself and your dog.

I would research any local training expertise. There may be a Navhda club in your area, there may be a pro trainer, or an amateur field trialer who would be willing to show you some things. Getting someone to show you, hands on, how to do some things can be very useful and helpful.

The last thing I will tell you is that the only "dumb" question...is the one you do NOT ask. What you do not know CAN get you and your dog into trouble. If you don't know...you don't know...so ask away. Every single person who has had a pointing dog has been where you are right now.

RayG

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:49 am

If you are in South Carolina. Myersc, I would definetely get a hold of Maurice Lindley @ Lindley's Kennel. Personally I do not teach sit until after there formal training is done

Give Mo a call...here......http://lindleykennel.com/