New Puppy Stomach Issues

jbwardfamily

New Puppy Stomach Issues

Post by jbwardfamily » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:51 am

Hi all,

We brought home our Brittany 2 nights ago. She has had diahreah for the past 12 hours. Is this normal? I haven't had a pup in a long time. The breeder said to expect it but I wanted some outside input.

Thanks

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: New Puppy Stomach Issues

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:43 am

Probably a coccidia flare up from the move. Talk to your vet about Albon or Flagyl.

SD44

Post by SD44 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:54 am

Moving will cause some stress which will cause the stomach problems. Also, did you change the dogs food from what the breeder was feeding? If you did, you should mix the dog food and gradually increase the new dog food until your dog is eating 100% of the new dog food.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:33 pm

I sent you a PM.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Cajun Casey and sd44 both have very valid points. Pull the scruff of the neck to make sure the pup is not dehydrated. If it's dehydrated call the breeder and let them know right away. Then call the vet right after. If not feed some canned pumpkin and get the dog back on what it was on before you brought it home.

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:29 am

Thanks everyone. She is not dehydrated and is continually drinking water. The stool is starting to get back closer to normal but is still a pudding consistency. I fed her some canned ALPO last night to get something solid on her stomach. It stayed down and didn't make too bad a mess in the kennel overnight. I also gave her a 1/4 tsp of Pepto and I think that helped. I will continue to keep an eye on her throughout the day.

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:06 pm

I took the pup to the vet tonight and he said she had "loads" of coccidia. He gave me the medicine for her and said she should be good in a few days. I fed her a mix of pumpkin, soft food, and Purina One and she ate pretty well. Thanks everyone for the input.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Tell me about coccidia. How would a parasite become a problem because of travelling? Would the pup have picked it up at its original kennel? What do breeders do to keep that parasite at bay? Thanks.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Sharon wrote:Tell me about coccidia. How would a parasite become a problem because of travelling? Would the pup have picked it up at its original kennel? What do breeders do to keep that parasite at bay? Thanks.
It is very common ...every animal has coccidia what happens with puppy stress sometimes allows the coccidia to get ahead of what their little bodies can keep in check

if it is a real slight case sometimes getting some safeguard and adnstering that for 7 days will help but if it is more then that some Albon and metronidazole is given.

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:12 pm

I called the breeder to let him know and he hadn't seen any of her litter mates having any symptoms yet. I guess the stress of the move laid the foundation. The vet wasn't too worried but said it was good that I didn't wait.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:16 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
Sharon wrote:Tell me about coccidia. How would a parasite become a problem because of travelling? Would the pup have picked it up at its original kennel? What do breeders do to keep that parasite at bay? Thanks.
It is very common ...every animal has coccidia what happens with puppy stress sometimes allows the coccidia to get ahead of what their little bodies can keep in check

if it is a real slight case sometimes getting some safeguard and adnstering that for 7 days will help but if it is more then that some Albon and metronidazole is given.

Thank you.