Kennel septic

ranchocueva

Kennel septic

Post by ranchocueva » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:13 pm

Building a five run kennel. Will have a gutter in the rear of kennel and would like to hose everything down. Any ideas on a septic system setup to handle liquid and solid waste for five dogs? Very sandy soil.

markj
GDF Junkie

Re: Kennel septic

Post by markj » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:30 am

I hve seen a 55 gallon barrell riddled with holes buried and used as a septic tank, the holes let it leach out to the ground.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:52 pm

markj wrote:I hve seen a 55 gallon barrel riddled with holes buried and used as a septic tank, the holes let it leach out to the ground.
That is about what I did.
I took 55 gal. barrel on side, and cut hole for intake pipe to drain into barrel (bottom if standing upright) then used one of the screw holes (on top of upright barrel) that was at the upper side of barrel opposite of intake. Once barrel fills it will over flow into a 25' drain tile pipe with netting and gravel around to allow drainage into the back yard. All of this is 6" under ground. Out of sight of anyone. Never any smell or problems as of yet.

Made a clean out hole just below surface to open and clean out if needed in the far future. I occasionally will dump septic conditioner to help with any solids. I try to pick up solids with scoop and wash the rest into drain.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:18 pm

Are your make shift septics legal with local codes ? We had to put in a 500 gal. holding tank years ago to be legal.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:24 pm

I know they wouldn't be to code where I live. But, do it yourself and who knows.

My question is dog hair. Any problem with dog hair clogging it up? How long have you had your barrel in the ground?

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:01 pm

9 years in the ground so far. My drains have a grate over that keeps out larger bits of hay, hair and such. Only what is dissolved in liquid gets into the tank.

Only problem is when I have large litter of pups in kennel and more frequent cleaning, I do see the tank fill up every so often before it has a chance to drain out the drain tile out the back yard. Once I slow down and use less water, all is well.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Im glad this topic has came up since I am pouring more concrete and adding some sort of drainage as well. My initial thought was to have it drain into a 4 inch PVC pipe and just daylight it (the pipe) out into the pasture. I would only be washing out pens, so urine, water and hair would go out and no solids. But my concerns were creating a cespool (SP) where it daylights out a couple hundred feet away.

Anyway you could maybe post pics of your set up? The drain.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:11 am

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tuf-Tite-36- ... lQdECTO9CA
This very similar to what I have. I put several inline down the end of my 4 kennels. My kennels are against a storage building so I wash sideways from one kennel to the next down to the drain. I use rake to scrape off any hair/hay left on the grate.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:10 am

Are your make shift septics legal with local codes ?
Depends on where you live and the codes for that location. Since I have an exsisting septic system for the house....... In town I would not do this. Out in the county, you can do as you wish unless they have a city type water and waste system. Then you may be required to tap into that.

Makesure you route the waste pipes away from the well area :) other than that..... use green pipe if possible.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:28 am

hi-tailyn wrote:http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tuf-Tite-36- ... lQdECTO9CA
This very similar to what I have. I put several inline down the end of my 4 kennels. My kennels are against a storage building so I wash sideways from one kennel to the next down to the drain. I use rake to scrape off any hair/hay left on the grate.
Your kennel set up sounds exactly like mine. So did you cut the concrete and lay those in or pour around them?

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:24 pm

I used the Tuff Tite trench and grating in my indoor kennels as well as installed their 6" commercial filter on the outflow end to capture all the hair and any small solids that might have escaped me - we scoop all solids every day but still end up with occasional rocks/hay/who knows what that ends up getting back to the trench. Every couple days I pull the filter, hose it off and stick'r back in. It is amazing how much hair and debris it catches. We pipe the liquids and washout out to a 25ft. long, 6" drainpipe below frost line sitting on a 2ft. bed of drain rocks. It has been working very well for handful of years now.

The filter: http://www.tuf-tite.com/ef6filter.html

The other thing I did that I have really liked is we installed PolyMax sheets I got from FarmTek to the walls surrounding the kennels so I can hose down the walls as well when cleaning up - sort of like a car wash setup. Also used some sort of vinyl window casing material so I can hit those with hose as well without worry (so far!)

Trench and grating, filter is on far end, PolyMax on walls, vinyl window casings:

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:15 pm

duckn66 wrote:
Your kennel set up sounds exactly like mine. So did you cut the concrete and lay those in or pour around them?
I just put them at the end of the concrete, and sloped them with the concrete to drain together. I put stakes to hold them very tight to concrete, then put caulk to make it seamless from concrete to drain.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:13 pm

DGFavor wrote:
I used the Tuff Tite trench and grating in my indoor kennels as well as installed their 6" commercial filter on the outflow end to capture all the hair and any small solids that might have escaped me - we scoop all solids every day but still end up with occasional rocks/hay/who knows what that ends up getting back to the trench. Every couple days I pull the filter, hose it off and stick'r back in. It is amazing how much hair and debris it catches. We pipe the liquids and washout out to a 25ft. long, 6" drainpipe below frost line sitting on a 2ft. bed of drain rocks. It has been working very well for handful of years now.

The filter: http://www.tuf-tite.com/ef6filter.html

The other thing I did that I have really liked is we installed PolyMax sheets I got from FarmTek to the walls surrounding the kennels so I can hose down the walls as well when cleaning up - sort of like a car wash setup. Also used some sort of vinyl window casing material so I can hit those with hose as well without worry (so far!)

Trench and grating, filter is on far end, PolyMax on walls, vinyl window casings:

how deep is below the frost line where you live, mine is somewhere between 4-5 ft
I justed poured the kennel floor last week with a 10 foot trench drain I need to continue the drain but unsure of a system that will work up north

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:54 pm

My husband says since your in N.MN. maybe weld 2 -50 gallon drums together. bury the drum close to your building so you have a short run off pipe. lay your pipe a couple of below the ground . with the bigger drum you develop more bacteria. this will help keep your pipes open from the inside kennel drain. Your outside kennel drain in the winter can be a hassle. Howie also said if you put in a septic in the fall add a bacteria additive the first yr.

ranchocueva

Post by ranchocueva » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:36 am

I'm wanting to install a system that I can wash everything, including solids, down. I assume it will have to be a home type septic system. Any ideas?

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 am

ranchocueva wrote:I'm wanting to install a system that I can wash everything, including solids, down. I assume it will have to be a home type septic system. Any ideas?
You will want to keep hair out of the septic system. Hair never disolves, breaks down ect. It's always there and soon enough you will have problems with a home septic system unless you figure out some sort of way to keep hair out of it. Also, I have heard that dog feces does not break down like human and needs a different type of bacteria to do so. A home septic may not work for those two reasons.

I'm adding on to my kennels. I'm going out 15ft from the old concrete and making a valley about 3ft out from the where it meets the old. This will drain into a pipe and then into a septic system with the barrel idea. I'm going to grate it with a very fine grate to keep as much hair out as possible.

Wilson

Post by Wilson » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:57 am

I put in a 1000 gal septic tank with 75 feet of line. I just had the tank cleaned. This was the first time in 11 years. I have a 6 run kennel.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:26 am

Ok. Got my kennels added on to. Instead of a drain or tough at the end of the kennels, I made a curb at the end of the kennels and had the concrete fall 1.5 inches in 8ft. All my water, urine ect runs down to the curb into a 4 inch pipe and north into what will be a septic tank with 100 ft or so of laterals. I just have it day lighted for now but it seems to work good. Only oversight was i didn't put enough curb going back to the west to catch all the water. I suppose I'll have to add a couple of blocks on the end of the curb.