Dog pointing to close to birds?

TheLukai1100

Dog pointing to close to birds?

Post by TheLukai1100 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:49 pm

My 6 month old GSP is pointing to close to birds, and often times flushes them. He points 3-5 feet from them and the birds in heavy cover usually flush after 5-10 seconds of being pointed.
there was a professional dog trainer were I was hunting so I asked him, he said, get the dog on more birds and he will learn to point further away.
is this true? my dogs only been on 10 birds or so.

Does anyone know how I can teach him to point further away?

aulrich

Re: Dog pointing to close to birds?

Post by aulrich » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:33 pm

@ 6 months as long as it is scent pointing and not sight pointing, sounds like your right on schedule.

This first year make sure to only to shoot pointed birds.

This year is to build love of birds field and water.

smittty

Post by smittty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:39 pm

get yourself a launcher or two as soon an he get scent pop the bird he'll learn fast

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:14 pm

I see you live in Maine, where I assume you are not too far from suitable grouse and woodcock populations. The dogs needs to learn to find, handle, and point loose birds. I'd have him in the woods as much as I can, see if he's a bird dog. Those wild birds will teach him everything he needs to know about pointing and handling birds. Dont worry if knocks and chases a bunch, he'll eventually get them pointed, might be end of this year or beginning of next. Not knowing the dog, I'd say leave the gun at home for a while, when he starts really getting the hang out of it, kill him a bird or two. Better than anything else you can do for the dog.

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:35 pm

+1 on the launchers it did wonders for my young britt. He was doing the same thing pointing right on top of them but a few sessions with the launcher and he is doing great. and +1 on only shoot birds he points. I had a few buddys get a little upset because I didn't want anyone to shoot anything that wasn't pointed well I found out it is a lot easier to just go by myself they are only out to bag where as Im still in training mode but they got over it.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:38 pm

Listen to rhe pro, unlike others here, I believe he saw the dog.

Yes to launchers, even better wild birds.

At his age, it doesn't matter if he points or not, shoot every bird you can, continue to train staunch. Now, he needs more bird contact than anything.

When he matures you can intensify the training.

Enjoy him and yourself.

On edit: Don't shoot birds from the lunchers!
Last edited by Neil on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:48 pm

TheLukai1100 wrote:My 6 month old GSP is pointing to close to birds, and often times flushes them. He points 3-5 feet from them and the birds in heavy cover usually flush after 5-10 seconds of being pointed.
there was a professional dog trainer were I was hunting so I asked him, he said, get the dog on more birds and he will learn to point further away.
is this true? my dogs only been on 10 birds or so.

Does anyone know how I can teach him to point further away?
Yes it's true. It's all about experience with birds. You could use pigeons and a launcher in a training format. When dog gets too close, launch the bird. He'll learn. He's still very young.(AS Neil said, "Don't shoot birds from the launcher".)
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:55 am

My two used to want to get right up on the bird to point it as well. The launcher solved this problem in less than 2 complete training sessions. They soon learn. I also think that as they mature they kind of out grow this on their own as well.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:16 pm

The Pro where you were hunting is right. Wild birds will eventually teach him. If you are using liberated training birds then that is a different story.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Why don't you recommend shooting bird's from a launcher? Neil and Sharon.

TheLukai1100

Post by TheLukai1100 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:30 am

Thanks for all the help! getting him on wild birds has been a struggle because there very few and far between here in southern Maine.
But I haven't changed anything and hes been holding birds a lot better. (put him on 5 since I posted).

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:16 am

At his/her age, traps wont be a benefit. Your timing wont be right on the bird flying. You will possibly create other boogers. Dog has to learn how to put things together, nocking will help, along with pointing and killing. Thanks Jonesy

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:28 am

gotpointers wrote:Why don't you recommend shooting bird's from a launcher? Neil and Sharon.
When most use the launchers they are trying to teach the dog if he moves the bird will fly, I would think shooting the bird would defeat that.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:21 am

Neil wrote:
gotpointers wrote:Why don't you recommend shooting bird's from a launcher? Neil and Sharon.
When most use the launchers they are trying to teach the dog if he moves the bird will fly, I would think shooting the bird would defeat that.
Couldn't the same be said when shooting wild birds that the dog didn't point?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Grange wrote:
Neil wrote:
Couldn't the same be said when shooting wild birds that the dog didn't point?
Yes, and often is.

The difference is with the launchers you are steering the dog to the bird. Either the dog already has the drive, desire or the trainer does not care.

When shooting wild birds (or pre-release ones) you are trying to build desire. Most do them in different places, shooting in the hunting/training fields, launchers in the yard. And different ages/stages

Usually, the shooting wild birds comes after they have knocked and chased, learning they can't catch them and before the launchers teach them not to creep.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Because Neil said so first. :) I want the dog to figure out that if he moves too close, the bird is gone. No reward. Whether he is able to figure this out is the real question.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Neil wrote:Usually, the shooting wild birds comes after they have knocked and chased, learning they can't catch them and before the launchers teach them not to creep.
That is when I finally started shooting wild birds over my dog. I waited until the dog was steady to flush. I never shot at a bird that my dog didn't point, which is not what you recommended, and thus why I asked the question. I would think that once a dog is birdy there is more potential for negatives than positives to shoot birds that are not pointed.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Grange wrote:
Neil wrote:Usually, the shooting wild birds comes after they have knocked and chased, learning they can't catch them and before the launchers teach them not to creep.
That is when I finally started shooting wild birds over my dog. I waited until the dog was steady to flush. I never shot at a bird that my dog didn't point, which is not what you recommended, and thus why I asked the question. I would think that once a dog is birdy there is more potential for negatives than positives to shoot birds that are not pointed.
I really don't care what you do, and I mean that in every sense.

This is not complex, if you have read my posts explaining why and when to shoot unpointed birds and you are still confused, there is no help for you.

If you just want to argue, I won't.

Neil

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Grange wrote:
You didn't read Neil's response, did you.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Neil wrote:
Grange wrote:
I really don't care what you do, and I mean that in every sense.

This is not complex, if you have read my posts explaining why and when to shoot unpointed birds and you are still confused, there is no help for you.

If you just want to argue, I won't.

Neil
I don't want to argue. I just provided a different perspective. For someone that doesn't really doesn't care you sure do get snippy when someone provides a different point of view.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:50 pm

slistoe wrote:
Grange wrote:

Yes I did. The OP was about how to get the puppy to point farther from the birds not how to make the dog birdy.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:57 pm

Grange,

I don't mind disagreement, welcome different perspective, accept personal attacks; but do not like gotcha, pasive aggressive nonsence.

I took pains to politely respond to your question, to which you replied without reading. It seems clear you already rehearsed your comeback when you asked the question.

I have better use of my time than play games and will avoid responding to you in the future.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Neil wrote:Grange,

I don't mind disagreement, welcome different perspective, accept personal attacks; but do not like gotcha, pasive aggressive nonsence.

I took pains to politely respond to your question, to which you replied without reading. It seems clear you already rehearsed your comeback when you asked the question.

I have better use of my time than play games and will avoid responding to you in the future.
Your first response to my question was polite. Your next response wasn't. I did read your answer however it was contradictory. You mentioned shooting wild or pre-released birds to build desire, but then later say shooting wild birds usually comes after they have knocked and chased birds. If a dog is chasing and knocking birds it should have plenty of desire for birds.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Grange wrote:
slistoe wrote:
Grange wrote: That is when I finally started shooting wild birds over my dog. I waited until the dog was steady to flush. I never shot at a bird that my dog didn't point, which is not what you recommended, and thus why I asked the question. I would think that once a dog is birdy there is more potential for negatives than positives to shoot birds that are not pointed.

Yes I did. The OP was about how to get the puppy to point farther from the birds not how to make the dog birdy.
The dog is 6 months old. There are a whole bunch of things the dog needs to learn about birds in general and wild birds aside from pointing a little further away. First the dog needs to learn why, where and how. If he doesn't have a real good handle on that stuff all the "pointing" tricks in the world are rather useless to us and the dog.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:58 pm

Sharon wrote:
Because Neil said so first. :) I want the dog to figure out that if he moves too close, the bird is gone. No reward. Whether he is able to figure this out is the real question.
Thanks Sharon and Neil for your responses.

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:34 am

slistoe wrote: The dog is 6 months old. There are a whole bunch of things the dog needs to learn about birds in general and wild birds aside from pointing a little further away. First the dog needs to learn why, where and how. If he doesn't have a real good handle on that stuff all the "pointing" tricks in the world are rather useless to us and the dog.
I agree.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:34 am

is this true?
Yes, very true...

Example; Creek @ four months
Young hound trying to get to close to wild birds
Like wild goose chase this is wild Chukar chase

Creek @ three yrs, wild bird teach him to keep his distance