sportdog collar problems

big_fish

sportdog collar problems

Post by big_fish » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:13 pm

I have a sportdog 400s training collar lately it seemed the dog was not feeling the stimulation ( I use it on 3 mostly) but today he was running and went on the road so we give him stimulation and nothing so we moved to 4 and nothing again so as we are heading down to the road where he was I was moving the dial up and went to 8(the highest) and nothing when I got to him there was a cat with kittens. I grabbed him and put him on the leash thinking he was so excited by the cats that he was ignoring the stimulation. We went to our training grounds and as soon as I got the collar on him and dropped the tailgate he took off (he has always had a great recall) and didn't look back so again 3 to4 to5 up to 8 and nothing so I hit it again and he yelped and came back to his senses. I was looking at the collar and when I hit the button the light comes on with both nick and constant but no shock just periodicly working could the contacts be bad (the tone works every time you push it) thanks for any info.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: sportdog collar problems

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:51 pm

My Dogtra let me down too, to day. I'm sending it off to the Collar Clinic tomorrow. ( Never use a level that causes a dog to cry out.)

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:28 am

That's exactly the reason I got rid of my SD and went back to TriTronics. Even with a repair or exchange of units, how can it be trusted again?

Before you ditch your collar or send it for repairs you can double check it by trying it on your arm being certain both contacts are seated in the receiver and in contact with your skin; if it works make sure it's fitted snugly on your dog.

Good luck.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:27 am

I had a bad problem with Sport Dog and won't buy their product's again. Their customer service people are very pleasant but their answer to fixing a product on warranty is to simply re-place the defective product with a new product, they don't fix them And they don't inspect the replacement. I had the Tec 1 tracking collar and never got a good reading out if it. Over six months time I went through the original collar and four replacement' collars. Sport Dog would not refund my money because I didn't buy it from them, they only made them! I contacted the people I bought it from and explained the problem and they took it back and gave me full credit on it. I'm not sure what they are thinking, there would come a point when replacing a defective product get more expensive for postage than just refunding the money when asked. That doesn't mention the down time I had trying to get it right.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:14 am

How far was your dog ...400 yards is how far that collar will work fully charges and under optimal line of sight Many I rarely see work out as far as they claim..
With that said it was a big reason I finally gave up looking at other collars and went back to Tri Tronics as my one TT outlasted 3 other e collars from other collar comapnies

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:45 pm

I fully charged the collar and remote and still nothing I put it on my hand and went through all the settings along with nicks and nothing. The beeper side works and I don't know if it is worth trying to get it fixed as it is discontinued and was a $150 or so collar. the dog was about 150 to 200 yards away when I was trying I may look around for a new collar thanks

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:38 pm

I just got off of the phone with Sportdog support and I am very unsatisfied. The rep only offered to take $40 off of another collar that was $50 higher than the same collar on gun dog supply it is a little under 2 years old I wans't looking for a free replacement. I told him that if I had to buy a replacement I would just by another brand and he didn't seem very concerned so I guess their customer service SUCKS! So what collar do you use?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:30 pm

First, do some googling to find the name and send a letter/ call the CEO or other top dog. You might get more satisfaction from the Corner Office than some dweeb at customer no-service. Even if you don't want another SD product you might get something you can resell.

Second, order a TriTronics. Many dealers, or factory direct.

MATT4126

Post by MATT4126 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:38 pm

I defended SportDog many times on this forum after I bought my 1825 system. It worked great for about 1 year then both collars died, replaced the hand held receiver twice and customer service was always pretty good. The collars finally let me down for the last time over a year ago and were replaced with a garmin alpha that has been reliable and a joy to use. Unfortunately SportDog just can't get it right with their collars.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:34 pm

I've been through all the major collar brands on the market and have went back to Tri Tronics everytime now I'm using a pro 100 g2 that would be my choice