Feeding dog a bird?

Lastfrontier

Feeding dog a bird?

Post by Lastfrontier » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Went hunting this weekend and had a good time, brought home dinner. While learning to dress the bird with a friend I brought up giving the innards and a busted leg that was too messed up to even deal with putting in the pot. Friend mentioned that that is a no go since it would teach the dog that eating birds is okay. I am a new hunter and dog handler but that seems a bit extreme. I could understand if I gave the dog a whole bird and let her go to town ripping feathers and chowing down, but a dressed bird, no feathers, and mere scraps? True or false?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Feeding dog a bird?

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:03 pm

As a reward, I will very often give one of my dogs the birds head. Zero negative issues with that. PLENTY of positives.

I also have fed my dogs a fair bit of venison scraps over the years and, to date, I have yet to notice any increased tendency for my dogs to chase deer.

I think your observations are right on the mark. Allowing a dog to rip a bird apart and eat it in the field is one thing.

Not allowing the dog to have game scraps is perfectly fine with me, but allowing the dog to have those game scraps is also fine with me.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:24 pm

I usually give my dog a scrap of the meat from ducks and geese. But I also agree, you should give him a whole bird, but scraps is like a reward.
Isaac and Banks

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:28 pm

I don't as it can smell the blood and in my mind if it smells it on dressed meat and you shoot a bird and it smells the same thing... could cause some confusion. This is nothing scientific, just my own feelings. I will however give my cocker a couple thrown retrieves with the bird when it first brings it to me.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:20 pm

I've fed every pup I've ever started heads and legs....usually on the way out of the field torn right from the bird.....never had a bird eater develop from this.

If here is properly trained they will never get the time to think about eating a shot bird.

LtsHnt

Post by LtsHnt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:53 pm

My only concern would be bird bones being hollow the can break off in very sharp pieces causing one expensive vet bill.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:57 am

I have done it and still do

deke

Post by deke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:02 am

While I am cleaning birds I will feed the dog scraps of meat, it is like he is getting rewarded for a job well done. I have never fed them bones from the birds, but I believe that is more of a personal fear than anything else.

asc

Post by asc » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Hearts and heads while cleaning, deer dogs get scraps too after a good days race..

All part of the rewards. :D

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:47 pm

LtsHnt wrote:My only concern would be bird bones being hollow the can break off in very sharp pieces causing one expensive vet bill.
I thought the same thing when I saw my trainer letting my dog eat pigeons and chickens as part of her gun breaking process. He then said something that made perfect sense, ever see a dead coyote that choked on a bird? That's what they eat to survive. The bones are soft when they are fresh. The bones only get brittle and splinter when they have been cooked. Made perfect sense!!!

pointer26

Post by pointer26 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 pm

I feed the heads,backs,necks,heads,livers,hearths,lungs,gizzards and any shot up legs. I have never has any problems. My pups are eager to bring me the bird.They know that as soon as they deliver the bird to me they get a treat.

Pups treats on the left

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:29 am

when your in the field do you just pull the head off then and feed the dog?
Never done that but it seems like a lot of you do it.
Isaac and Banks

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:22 pm

I've pulled heads off in the field and fed them to the dogs.

I usually don't do anything with the birds until the end of the day. When I clean birds on the tailgate they get all sorts of scraps.

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:22 am

pointer26 wrote:I feed the heads,backs,necks,heads,livers,hearths,lungs,gizzards and any shot up legs. I have never has any problems. My pups are eager to bring me the bird.They know that as soon as they deliver the bird to me they get a treat.

Pups treats on the left

I wonder if this could be considered a tactic for producing a stronger and quicker retrieve? I know my kids do anything I ask more quickly if there's a few dollars attached to the command. Why should my dog be any different? I usually wait until after the hunt but I'm going to try it during the hunt. About the bones the above readers are correct. Uncooked bones are safe and more flexible then cooked bones. I feed all bones from chicken and game birds and most any meat I feed. I try to stay away from weight bearing bones but not because of a chocking hazard but because they are too much grind on his teeth.