Hunting Trip Food Storage

nitrex

Hunting Trip Food Storage

Post by nitrex » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:02 am

I'm headed to North Dakota and Montana for a 10 hunting trip next week. :D What do you all use for carrying dog food? I need it to be waterproof as it may be in the bed of the truck and I don't want the oils in the food seeping through onto the seat or carpet. I've been looking at the dry storage bags people use while rafting. I want something durable, but reasonable priced. I'll need to carry close to 40# of food. Has anyone used the "Avery DriStor" bags?

Thanks for the ideas!

Nitrex

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Hunting Trip Food Storage

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 am

Pheasants forever mud river dry bag is great. I also have used cat litter containers.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:29 am

...also, do you like to have two smaller capacity (20#) bags or one larger (40#) bag?

Nitrex

RichK

Post by RichK » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:10 am

Plastic water cans, durable as you could need and water and rodent proof.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:18 am

I use a 5 gal bucket with a screw on lid a friend got me, no idea where he got it. MTY 5 gal paint can carry's a bit over three days feed for two dog's. If I was going to be gone longer than that I could simply put the bag away in a dry spot or, buy food on the road if needed. I feed food I get at the Safeway and at Walmart. I'm seldom far from dog food. If your feeding one of the super feeds, You just might have to take a bunch of food with you. I don't think I'd put it in the bed of the truck unless I was certain water couldn't get to it. You also migh look in the household dept of Walmart and Bi Mart at plastic storage bins.

Dixie39

Post by Dixie39 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:15 am

x2 for the 5 gallon bucket with screw on lid. Got mine from Home Depot. You can get buckets that are BPA free (if you worried about that type of thing). The lids have an rubber o-ring and are water/bug proof. I believe Gamma seal is the name. They come in different colors so you can quickly identify if you use different feeds or other applications. I can fit a 35 pounds of feed in 2 buckets.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:27 am

Go to the deli or bakery at a grocery store and get square 5 gal buckets they fit nicely in the back of the truck and there cheap and maybe even free

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:41 pm

I always bring enough for the drive then buy what I need when
I get to there

Db

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:18 pm

I save the big cat litter jugs. They work great & you don't have to worry about the food getting wet. If I didn't have those, I would get some of the 2 1/2 gallon ziploc bags at wally world. You can get a box of 10 for $4.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Some years ago Purina their 44 lb dog food in plasric containers, as did Sam's Club. They are very durable except for the lids, which I duct tape. You might find a pro that has some laying about.

But a better bet is LCS, they sell waterproof bags.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:51 pm

I have used the rubbermaid tubs from wally world

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:17 pm

nitrex wrote:I'm headed to North Dakota and Montana for a 10 hunting trip next week. :D What do you all use for carrying dog food? I need it to be waterproof as it may be in the bed of the truck and I don't want the oils in the food seeping through onto the seat or carpet. I've been looking at the dry storage bags people use while rafting. I want something durable, but reasonable priced. I'll need to carry close to 40# of food. Has anyone used the "Avery DriStor" bags?

Thanks for the ideas!

Nitrex
5 gallon bucket and a lid. Free.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Here is a handy rectangular bucket:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=818

OR

If you have a spare cooler around(I have several, in various states of repair), you can get a 40 gal trash liner, line the cooler with it the cooler and empty the dogfood into the cooler, twist tie the bag, close up and you are good to go.

+1 on checking with area bakeries.

RayG

Oh yeah... A whole bunch of different feed additives for horses come in rectangular buckets with lids. A nearby stable just might have a few empties on hand.

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:18 pm

The Gamma seal screw on lids for 5 gallon buckets are very common for white water rafting / canoeing / etc.. You can usually find them anywhere that sells rafting equipment.