How do I stud my dog out?

Benjammin

How do I stud my dog out?

Post by Benjammin » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:55 pm

I have a 2 1/2 year old male gsp and would like to stud him out. He is very pretty , all I have done with him is one junior hunt test and he past his first one :D . His dad is aces royal flush, so I just know nothing about doing this so I need some know how please. Thanks Seth

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:42 pm

What makes you want to stud him out?

It's a tough time to be breeding dogs right now, with a less than stellar economy, and less than stellar bird numbers.

Most serious breeders truly looking for a stud outside their existing kennel or bloodlines would want a more proven dog, nothing against yours.

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: How do I stud my dog out?

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:02 pm

Compete him preferably in Field Trials or Hunt tests. If you get an FC/ AFC or a Master Hunter on him, people will be interested in him, otherwise, he is just another pretty face.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:10 am

Seth,

There is a good chain of discussion on just this same topic for a fellow who was asking for similar advice. If I was you - I'd read through this series of questions and answers.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=43650&start=0&hili ... ny#p401859

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:21 am

You have two options. breed him with your neighbor's or buddy's female and produce $250 puppies or get some sort of title on him do the health tests (hips, elbows, eyes, heart and whatever else you think is necessary). Then assuming your dog passes all these health tests and you are willing to invest the several thousand dollars it takes to title a dog, you might find a few people willing to breed with your dog. Unless you have one of the very top dogs and are very good at promoting your dog you will not have many takers and won't get top of the line females.
Why do you want to stud your dog? there are many very pretty dogs out there. it definitely is not a money making proposition. Give it some serious thought. I was right where you are at one time. Good Luck.................Cj

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:25 am

If very pretty, and one JH pass are your selling points Id say you will have a hard time, unless you know someone who is just looking to sling puppies. A true stud needs to bring something to the table for most people to consider breeding to it. Titles and health clearances not necessarily in that order need to be obtained. there are soooo many quality breeding dogs with FC/AFC and MH titles and many more that a pretty dog with some natural ability just wont cut it anymore......

Jim

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks for the info guys , like I said I know nothing about this stuff so I wanted some info from people that do..

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:35 pm

And even with the titles on the dog he needs to be special with a realy good pedigree to back it up

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:28 pm

I've been told that he does so I guess I need to get more titles then :lol:

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:52 am

Benjammin wrote:I've been told that he does so I guess I need to get more titles then :lol:
More titles? You mean a title...... right?
Unless I missed something, your dog presently does not have any titles.

Just one JH pass (you need 3 more for a JH title). And even then, a JH title isn't something to be hangin' your hat on
from a breeding worthiness perspective. Health certs are going to be a must (unless it's the owner of a puppy mill who is bringing
their female to your male). Hips, elbows, eyes......... look into it.

One clarification on someone's post about competing him. Field Trials are competitions, Hunt Tests are not. Hunt Tests evaluate a dog
against a standard. On any given day, every dog who runs in a Senior Hunt Test could pass- or they could all fail. Each dog is not competing
against any of the other dogs in that level test that day. Field Trials are competitive as each dog in a given stake IS competing against all of the other dogs in that stake. In short, there is only ONE first place ribbon being awarded in each stake each day.

The takeaway is that there is a difference between competitive stakes & tests. If you really think your dog is special, run him in a field trial
walking stake against other dogs, then you will begin to get a glimpse of all the other dogs out there, how good they are, and at what level your dog would need to be able to perform in order to differentiate himself from the rest of the pack........ literally.

Good, reputable breeders want to improve the breed. To that end, they tend to be pretty picky regarding who they take their females to for breeding. Aside from lining up paper-wise with their female, and assuming health certs are all good/clear, there just has to be something special about your dog in order for a reputable breeder to bring their female to him.

Best of luck.

vizslatrainer

Post by vizslatrainer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Is your GSP registered? That is a first step. The people you bought the dog from should have provided you the information to register the dog. After doing that, get a breed standard and see how your dog conforms to the standard. Most ppl want to improve the breed and will evaluate your dog for conformation and temperament. You need a title or titles, a hunt title is nice. Contact your local GSP club for more information. Good luck.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:25 am

I have a male that has 19 Titles including the first dog to ever earn the Master Hunter Advanced title and I still don't "farm" him out for stud.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:58 am

ust one JH pass (you need 3 more for a JH title). And even then, a JH title isn't something to be hangin' your hat on
from a breeding worthiness perspective. Health certs are going to be a must (unless it's the owner of a puppy mill who is bringing
their female to your male). Hips, elbows, eyes......... look into it
So if someone breeds a dog that does not do all the health testing you feel is important, they are then a "puppy mill"? Interesting.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:32 pm

I feel the hips are of the highest prirority the eyes, elbows i think is a crock or selling gimic. I do hips OFA an Penn on my stud. Most people no what he brings to the table.

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:30 pm

Yes I know you need 4 to have a title I was just saying all I have done is one jr hunt. I just wanted to see what is needed or Preferred to see if this was anything I really wanted to do. So thank for the info guys .

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:33 pm

I guess my subject should of said ( what do I need to do if I want to stud my dog out) didn't think that Through :lol:

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:49 am

Benjammin wrote:I guess my subject should of said ( what do I need to do if I want to stud my dog out) didn't think that Through :lol:
Really, If you want to have puppies out of your dog, your best bet is to go out and buy a female...... What I mean is, just like with horses, MAYBE 1/1000 dogs is worthy of being a "stud dog". While I dont want to cheapen folks work/efforts, there are a TON of FC/AFC, MH, DC, CH, whatever,titled dogs out there. And, while all of those are great accomplishments there are very few of those dogs that any one will ever hear of. You have to have a dog that jumps into peoples mind when they are considering what their next dog will be.

Now, maybe your idea of a stud and mine are different, but in my mind a stud is an animal that folks are willing to search out in an effort to pay a fee to breed to that dog because it has something to offer that is a little more than the opportunity to get knocked up.

Like I said, If you are interested, in breeding your dog, unless you have something very special, or a couple buddies who are interested in having a couple pups, your best bet is to buy a female put a few titles on her, and start breeding your own, then plan to cull, or feed alot of puppies, until you know what it will produce.

In short, your dog needs to be phenomenol AND needs to consistantly produce something folks want... Even the best dog isn't a desireable stud if it won'tproduce in its get.

Jim

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:36 pm

Why do you all think you need to have titles on dogs to breed 'em?? Baffles me.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:33 pm

Jimbo is spot on

As for titles its just part of the promotion part you get the dog out and it gets seen. Its more to being a desirable stud than that but its a big part. As i said Jimbo gave sum sound advice.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:30 pm

DGFavor wrote:Why do you all think you need to have titles on dogs to breed 'em?? Baffles me.
X2

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:08 am

Mr.Favor,

I think we would all agree that a dog needs little more than a pulse and a pair of testicles to be able to breed, but when someone comes here and says the want to STUD their dog out because he is pretty I have to assume they really havn't thought it through. From what I gather from the OP they want to know what they need to do to promote their dog as breeding stock, this day in age where 50% or more of people will never see a dog work before buying a puppy titles are a good way to at least start shopping.

having the titles is less about breeding dogs and more about being able to get rid of the pups. I've got a gsp that came from the local trader paper, he has his JH, he is a good looking SOB. He is NOT breeding stock.

Jim

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:33 am

Well, I just didn't know all this stuff that everybody has said . It's just a thought It's always been in my head wondering if I should leave his balls on cut them off that's what I'm trying to Decide. And what everybody has said makes perfect sense not like I'm oblivious to it all I just wasn't sure what was involved and now I have a real good idea and it's a lot more than I thought. That's why I got on here to ask all the people that know way more than I could hope know.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:57 am

Don't neuter your dog because he may never be used for stud,no reason for that.More negatives then positives but read all those before making the final decision & make up your own mind on that.
I have owned GSPS for over 40 yrs & breeding a male or female is always a thought that comes up in a newbies mind,nothing wrong with it.I will say this & not every one will agree or like it,but if you hunt your dog & he is what
satisfies you then maybe down the rd you might find a female you like & want to breed for yourself.The thing is it's a lot of responsibilty that goes with it.You have to take care of the pups,vets,food,cleaning up after them & then comes finding good homes for ALL them & no matter what anyone tells you ,you will not make any money off them.It's nothing to take lightly but I would never tell anyone they can't breed THEIR dogs.Heck they breed dogs for good looks don't they,look in the show ring!!

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:15 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Don't neuter your dog because he may never be used for stud,no reason for that.More negatives then positives but read all those before making the final decision & make up your own mind on that.
I have owned GSPS for over 40 yrs & breeding a male or female is always a thought that comes up in a newbies mind,nothing wrong with it.I will say this & not every one will agree or like it,but if you hunt your dog & he is what
satisfies you then maybe down the rd you might find a female you like & want to breed for yourself.The thing is it's a lot of responsibilty that goes with it.You have to take care of the pups,vets,food,cleaning up after them & then comes finding good homes for ALL them & no matter what anyone tells you ,you will not make any money off them.It's nothing to take lightly but I would never tell anyone they can't breed THEIR dogs.Heck they breed dogs for good looks don't they,look in the show ring!!
Great post Ted!

Doug

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:38 pm

Doc.

The purpose of field trials is not to collect pretty ribbons and shiny things, but to improve the breed(s).

A field trial win tells me at least two independent judges saw value in the dog. Without titles I have to trust the breeder, who may or may not know what makes a dog, and I have found some knowledgeable breeders less than honest. So unless I can have you see them hunt, I rely on titles.

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:but if you hunt your dog & he is what
satisfies you then maybe down the rd you might find a female you like & want to breed for yourself.!!

Never did think of that. I've just been told that if you cut em off they will stop pissin on everything like every kid toy we leave in the yard, and they calm down a wee bit.... Is that true?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:04 pm

Benjammin wrote:
Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:but if you hunt your dog & he is what
satisfies you then maybe down the rd you might find a female you like & want to breed for yourself.!!

Never did think of that. I've just been told that if you cut em off they will stop pissin on everything like every kid toy we leave in the yard, and they calm down a wee bit.... Is that true?
No, it's not true, but he does stand a greater chance of developing joint and endocrine diseases as he gets older.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:17 am

Neil wrote:Doc.

The purpose of field trials is not to collect pretty ribbons and shiny things, but to improve the breed(s).

A field trial win tells me at least two independent judges saw value in the dog. Without titles I have to trust the breeder, who may or may not know what makes a dog, and I have found some knowledgeable breeders less than honest. So unless I can have you see them hunt, I rely on titles.
Well said. Trials are the best way to get an independent evaluation.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:33 am

Benjammin wrote:Well, I just didn't know all this stuff that everybody has said . It's just a thought It's always been in my head wondering if I should leave his balls on cut them off that's what I'm trying to Decide. And what everybody has said makes perfect sense not like I'm oblivious to it all I just wasn't sure what was involved and now I have a real good idea and it's a lot more than I thought. That's why I got on here to ask all the people that know way more than I could hope know.
I respect you for asking the tough question and being mature enough to accept the answers you get. You will always get an opinion when you post on this board, it's up to you to sift through it and use what makes sense to you.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:54 am

Who really believes, in this day and age of 1/2 hour circles on pen birds, which is what the majority of dogs with titles next to their names do, is really selecting for a superior bird dog?? Sure you get some comparison amongst their peers and I'm not saying there is no utility or info gleaned from comparing dogs in that setting but to nearly across the board in this post have folks say this is an absolute requirement is...is...well suffice it to say I do not agree with it and certainly IMO not going to lead to the development of improved hunting dogs (who hunts for only a half hour for birds they already know where they are at??). Personally for me, success in competition is just part of the equation that might be useful, heck, might be super useful...then again might not be.

This is of course just my opinion and the requirements for someone else to breed or "stud out" a dog can certainly be different which is fine by me, no one is forcing me to buy a puppy from them - here's a post from a thread on another forum regarding proven dogs (I had to edit slightly to meet the URL limit on this forum):
DGFavor wrote:
what do you consider as a "proven" dog?
Something like this is a good start: http://www.hbv.netkennel.com/PhotoView. ... heap+Trick

Held up to 8 years of being hunted hard, trained/conditioned even harder with no significant health issues; hunted/pointed sage grouse, sharptails, forest grouse, pheasant, chukars, huns, valley quail, Gambel's quail, Mearns quail; hunted successfully in 7 states...buts that's just my word which may or may not mean squat. Nice to have more "proof"...so let's add having won field trials in multiple states under multiple judges on multiple grounds with multiple different handlers, a multiple time regional DOY, a Northwest Chukar Open Shooting Dog Champion, a Reg. 9 NGSPA Open Shooting Dog Champion, a Reg. 10 Amateur Shooting Dog Champion, the reigning Idaho State Open Shooting Dog Champion...that's what other's say. Combinations of stuff like that works for me! :wink:

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/17747136[/vimeo]

She's cleared all my hurdles, has my stamp of a"prove"al:

Unproven, 1y.o., in the process, pointed lots of wild birds, naturally retrieved every bird shot over her (yah!! no chit, couldn't believe it!!), discussions of breeding not even considered yet: Image

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:35 pm

Now you woke up Mr. Favor. Nice post btw.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:55 pm

I like titles sum i respect more than others even then as i say you need to see the dog inside the titles. With the breeding core of guys i run with and they are big on titled dogs too. They judge the dogs on day 5 in kansas or ND when they are brush beated cut up from barbwire and stff as heck who nos what else. We run and gun from sun up to sun down and when they roll out of the box 10- 20 degrees on day 5 all stiff and then they stretch a little to get things moving right and they give you that look lets go follow me and then they rock like it was day 1. Thats a bird dog thats what a gundog does and thats what you breed for a dog you have to protect from its self becouse it will die doing what it was breed to do and thats hunting and producing birds. My 2 cents

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:33 pm

I like a dog like that, knows how to keep themselves in one piece but seem to hunt with no regard for themselves...all go, doesn't stop with feet full of burs (even tho I will stop and check them).....dog who's all business all the time. Finds birds good weather and bad.

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:35 am

I hear you there , that's my dog burs and all. And a face full of porcupine quills :cry: