People who hate e collars..

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:13 pm

I thought i had made some great dog friends.. then when the ecollar conversation came up.. the room was filled with hate.. Im guessing they wont ever come back over my house again. :/

Have you ever met somebody that you thought would be a great dog training friend to chat with.. then they freak out when they find out you dont hate all people who use ecollars, like they do?

jimbo&rooster

Re: People who hate e collars..

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:47 pm

No..... most of my friends have common sense. Some folks have never seen a dog beaten in the name of correction, they have never seen a dog shot with bird shot for chasing deer. I would venture to say most of the people you were talking to have no concept of what a well trained dog is.

Jim

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Consider yourself fortunate.

You found out before you wasted any time, effort or emotion on folks who, in all likelihood, would only keep you from achieving what you want with your dog and who might actually get you into trouble.

I have known a couple folks over the years who chose to train without electronic stimulation, but none of them were bothered by those who used the devices properly. They knew they were taking the long road and it was a conscious choice for them.

Make some new dog training friends and don't look back.

RayG

RichK

Post by RichK » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:44 pm

I knew nothing about training with e-collars until I got my GSP this year. I was surprised, still am, when I strapped the collar on myself to run through the stimulation levels and I could literally not even feel and stimulation at the level I was getting compliance from my dog.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:09 pm

My dog training friends are the guys I hunt and trial with, so nope, none of them have ever been surprised that I use an ecollar.

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:34 am

A lot of people do not realize how far the technology has come on the e collar. The first ones were very crude, but with today's collar you have so many options, you have constant, Nick, pager, tone, and gps. When any of the dogs I have see the collar come out, they get excited and practically jump out of there skin. Why, they associate the collar with fun. As of right now the only two functions I use on the collar are, tone, means to come and vibration if I need any correction. Once they have the fundamentals down and know right from wrong, the collar is a great tool. It is also nice for going through the woods and not yelling every five minutes at the dog. I always seem to see at least one person every year either running and yelling behind there dog to try and get them to come, or someone walks up and asks, have you seen my dog. I am sure these guys are part of the anti e collar crowd:) they can say what they want, the e collar is one of the most humane tools a trainer can have. But I also believe that before you can use the collar you have to teach the dog the basics first.

benelli

Post by benelli » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:59 am

I must be looking in the wrong places to find people who are so easily agitated ... everyone I've encountered (including my aunt, who I thought would be squeamish about the idea, but also everyone I know in my neighborhood) has not been bothered by the e-collar. I explain it to them simply, saying on the lower settings it feels more like "tapping," and that it's basically just an invisible leash that allows me to reinforce commands at a distance. I haven't come across a single person who actually has a problem with it. And the dog is almost never on a leash, and nobody has had a problem with that either ... they see that he comes when called, and heels when told, and if anything they comment on how well-trained he is, and the conversation moves on. And I always have the leash with me, so if I need to leash the dog and/or tie him up, I can do that, since "technically" he's not in an off-leash area.

I'm guessing a lot depends on how you present yourself ... same thing with your other thread about people harassing you for your dog eliminating on command. If you come to a grassy spot, tell your dog (once) to do his business, and he does, you pick it up and move on, I'm not sure how people have a chance to even see what happened. If, on the other hand, you're standing around for five minutes begging your dog to take a dump - I had a neighbor I used to go on walks with who was like that, she would say over and over, "Expelllll, expelllll ..." - then I'd probably get a bit of a laugh at your expense too.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:10 am

BigJake wrote:A lot of people do not realize how far the technology has come on the e collar. The first ones were very crude, but with today's collar you have so many options, you have constant, Nick, pager, tone, and gps. When any of the dogs I have see the collar come out, they get excited and practically jump out of there skin. Why, they associate the collar with fun. As of right now the only two functions I use on the collar are, tone, means to come and vibration if I need any correction. Once they have the fundamentals down and know right from wrong, the collar is a great tool. It is also nice for going through the woods and not yelling every five minutes at the dog. I always seem to see at least one person every year either running and yelling behind there dog to try and get them to come, or someone walks up and asks, have you seen my dog. I am sure these guys are part of the anti e collar crowd:) they can say what they want, the e collar is one of the most humane tools a trainer can have. But I also believe that before you can use the collar you have to teach the dog the basics first.

good post by jake. Also worth noting that e collars are inextricably linked with beeper collars (or gps), at least in terms of "beep from transmitter" mode. Not being able to find a dog is frightening; if a dog is on point and you can't locate him,you'r'e out of luck without a locate feature.With a e collar you've got a dead bird (sometimmes) and a happy dog.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:15 am

I take my dog virtually everywhere I go, and very rarely have a leash on me. Rich white people are easily shocked.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:30 am

displaced_texan wrote:I take my dog virtually everywhere I go, and very rarely have a leash on me. Rich white people are easily shocked.
Or "conveniently" outraged...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re:

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:44 am

displaced_texan wrote:I take my dog virtually everywhere I go, and very rarely have a leash on me. Rich white people are easily shocked.
Not true! Sometimes they make it to the Benz before you can get the collar on 'em!

I am seeing a scary trend in dog training franchises that insist on e-training from the get-go. Nothing worse that a Gen-Y in an exercise costume with a rescue "pibble" and a remote around her neck.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Re:

Post by ACooper » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Cajun Casey wrote: Nothing worse that a Gen-Y
I 100% agree with this part, :lol: seems the GDF has a recent influx of Gen-Y nonsense.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:33 pm

ACooper wrote:
I 100% agree with this part, :lol: seems the GDF has a recent influx of Gen-Y nonsense.
And, Boomers and Xers have found common ground. :D

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:17 pm

ACooper wrote:
Or "conveniently" outraged...
More accurate!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:17 pm

ACooper wrote:
Yes it has!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:40 pm

I think you are right. But as I said they will gradually weed themselves out either by loosing interest in teaching us where and why we have gone astray or they might even get some help if we all have to listen to the same banter over and over.

Ezzy

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:17 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I think you are right. But as I said they will gradually weed themselves out either by loosing interest in teaching us where and why we have gone astray or they might even get some help if we all have to listen to the same banter over and over.

Ezzy
Is this really the second time this week I've agreed with you?

tn red

Post by tn red » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:53 pm

ACooper wrote:

Just feels like home :lol: :lol:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:56 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I think you are right. But as I said they will gradually weed themselves out either by loosing interest in teaching us where and why we have gone astray or they might even get some help if we all have to listen to the same banter over and over.

Ezzy
Yes, they will weed themselves out. Same reply for the thread "what's happening here". Not to worry. :wink:

Charlie

kibafang90

Re:

Post by kibafang90 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:55 am

displaced_texan wrote:My dog training friends are the guys I hunt and trial with, so nope, none of them have ever been surprised that I use an ecollar.
I'm from the "ghetto". So most of my closer friends that have dogs have pits and mixes. Most of them are okay with the "e collar talk". They just are okay with it. I guess they don't really care much. I mean, if they saw a person beating a dog, they would be upset. But as for other stuff, they don't really care.

Now, i go to dog facilities, thats how i meet up with my other friends. the "high performance dog owners".
THEY have a strict idea about certain training tools and methods..
Each sport has a different opinion about things in whole..

The people who recently came over, they are border collie owners. And do agility, and when we had "the ecollar conversation" they instantly decided that they hated me instead...

Made me so sad. :( We could have still been friends.
Last edited by kibafang90 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

kibafang90

Re:

Post by kibafang90 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:59 am

Rich white people?
Why rich white people?

Rockett

Post by Rockett » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:09 am

Lots of ignorant people down under who don't understand the benefits and freedom a dog can have if the owner is properly educated in the use of this wonderful tool! (The higher powers of government who have made it illegal to use) It is really dividing the retreiving community at the moment, very sore point!!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:16 pm

kibafang90 wrote:

Rich white people?
Why rich white people?
Ask them.

That's who my customers are, that's who can't believe my dog sleeps in my truck all day, doesn't jump out, and doesn't have to be put on a leash to pee in their front yard without hiking his leg...

And of course I work for rich people, there's no money in working for poor people.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:19 pm

kibafang90 wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:My dog training friends are the guys I hunt and trial with, so nope, none of them have ever been surprised that I use an ecollar.
I'm from the "ghetto". So most of my closer friends that have dogs have pits and mixes. Most of them are okay with the "e collar talk". They just are okay with it. I guess they don't really care much. I mean, if they saw a person beating a dog, they would be upset. But as for other stuff, they don't really care.

Now, i go to dog facilities, thats how i meet up with my other friends. the "high performance dog owners".
THEY have a strict idea about certain training tools and methods..
Each sport has a different opinion about things in whole..

The people who recently came over, they are border collie owners. And do agility, and when we had "the ecollar conversation" they instantly decided that they hated me instead...

Made me so sad. :( We could have still been friends.
Maybe you would be better served in a different forum.

I'm not gonna say that you aren't welcome here, but you obviously have a completely different focus the rest of us.

Short of on here, I don't think I've had an actual conversation in person about ecollars since I bought my first one and asked for brand recommendations from two guys.

Well, I did tell one of my hounds I front of a pro trainer that if he ran off again that I'd light his stupid self up, he said "you know that doesn't make them come back?" my response was that I was just running my mouth to him, and actually know how to use it correctly.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:55 pm

I was looking at a springer spaniel pup a few years ago before I bought my lab. One of the questions she asked me on the phone was " do you currently use an e collar" of course I answered yes. She hung up the phone on me. I have run into people down at the beach or lake that question my use of an e collar, until I explain to them that it does not cause pain and I have tested every level of stimulation on myself. I have also shown people by taking the controller off my neck and letting them hold it while I take the dogs collar off, push it against my arm and let them press the button as much as they wish. Most people that think e collars are a cruel instrument don't actually know anything about them, take five seconds out of your day to show them, and maybe you can change their view.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:17 pm

My cousins boy married a gal from canada, she is nice and real purty and all that. She askd me how to get her lab to stop digging in her garden, so I said put a shock collar on the dog, wait for it to dig thenzap the heck out of that dog. Her eyes got real big and she said she would zap me :) before she would do that. I asked her if the dog was just mis understanding her when she asked him to stop digging. I then said sometimes you need to find a language the dog will understand.....

Dont think I am her fav now :(