HEAVY BRUSH LOCATE BY GPS OR BEEPER?

nitecapt

HEAVY BRUSH LOCATE BY GPS OR BEEPER?

Post by nitecapt » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:46 pm

I have 3 dogs and this year the areas I hunt are so dense that if a dog goes on point 20 yards away, I'm not likely to see him. There are times when the dog stayed on point for 15 minutes while I searched and searched eventually, the dog gave up and bumped the bird. Thus, I either need a beeper that is silent until the dog points or a tracking GPS collar like the new Garmin Astro DC 50. I HATE hearing beepers in the field because I prefer a silent hunt. Points can occur from 5' out to 100 yds or more. The dogs all wear e-collars (Dogtra Edge) and have learned to come back when I "page" them through the vibration feature.It works unless they are on a bird.
Thus I b=need a collar that will enable me to train and correct (e-collar) as well as locate the dog. I only had one dog run away years ago when she was spooked by something and it took 3 days to find her but when that occurs, you really are sorry you don't have a GPS collar because she was out of my hearing range with the beeper.
So I have decided to collectively pick the brains of those here with a few questions. For those of you that have had tracking collars and also worked with beepers, is it a lot quicker to follow the sound rather than use a GPS? I would think it is, but then again I like to hunt quietly and I do think the dogs are bothered by the loud beep behind their necks.
I have looked at the Sport Dog Tek 1.0 as well as he Garmin. Of course the Garmin doesn't have the pager (vibrate ) feature which I really like and would require me to retrain the dogs to return to the "tone" function.
Has anyone seen these screens close up? Can they be seen easily or would I have to wear my reading glasses?
Has anyone used the track function to find a dog on point? Any comparisons between Garmin and Sport Dog?
Any experience you have had or observations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ray

ruffbritt4

Re: HEAVY BRUSH LOCATE BY GPS OR BEEPER?

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:26 pm

I recommend the Garmin Astro 320 with DC 40. I have heard mixed reviews about the DC 50's, so i went with the 40 and was not dissapointed. It is great having the piece of mind knowing you will be able to find your dog. When it comes to finding your dog if they get lost, you want the best you can get. I run my Brittany with 3 collars: an I.D collar, an e-collar, and an Astro. I have a bell on him also. That setup works great for me.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:59 pm

ruffbritt4 wrote:I recommend the Garmin Astro 320 with DC 40. I have heard mixed reviews about the DC 50's, so i went with the 40 and was not dissapointed. It is great having the piece of mind knowing you will be able to find your dog. When it comes to finding your dog if they get lost, you want the best you can get. I run my Brittany with 3 collars: an I.D collar, an e-collar, and an Astro. I have a bell on him also. That setup works great for me.
+1. I'm sure the country I hunt is as dense as yours. I run the Astro 320 and a 40 collar. The dog weRs an orange Ygly Dog vest for ease of location. I also run a topo chip in the Astro.

I ring a pro 100 for the training collar. I have both two ecollar's Nd two 40's. If a collar goes bad I can send it in and still have a working unit. I prefer that.
a

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:56 pm

GPS

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:10 pm

A beeper on all the time would be annoying but a beeper is indeed quicker and easier for locating dogs in the thick and uncivil areas, set it at point only....and they are prone to less issues than a GPS, as well as requiring only the ears and not the hands.
But, a unit such as the Astro is better all around and for purposes well past point location....I no longer tote a beeper in the dog box.
I believe that some e-collars have a hunter-operated beep for quick location...never used one though.

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:34 am

I use a GPS.
I gave Uncle one of my eardrums, so I cannot always pinpoint the beeper without stereo hearing.
We get old our hearing goes, or say they say, if you can hear them say it. Get the GPS is my vote.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:16 am

I do not like beepers. I use a bell and the Astro.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:28 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
ruffbritt4 wrote:I recommend the Garmin Astro 320 with DC 40. I have heard mixed reviews about the DC 50's, so i went with the 40 and was not dissapointed. It is great having the piece of mind knowing you will be able to find your dog. When it comes to finding your dog if they get lost, you want the best you can get. I run my Brittany with 3 collars: an I.D collar, an e-collar, and an Astro. I have a bell on him also. That setup works great for me.
+1. I'm sure the country I hunt is as dense as yours. I run the Astro 320 and a 40 collar. The dog weRs an orange Ygly Dog vest for ease of location. I also run a topo chip in the Astro.

I ring a pro 100 for the training collar. I have both two ecollar's Nd two 40's. If a collar goes bad I can send it in and still have a working unit. I prefer that.
a
I have to get one of those orange vests for my dog before winter, hunting in the woods with a white pointer in the snow can be a little difficult...

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Buy some of that orange stuff the kids spray on ,on Halloween on their hair non toxic an will wear off but very visable and easy to put on. :)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:15 pm

ruffbritt4 wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:

a
I have to get one of those orange vests for my dog before winter, hunting in the woods with a white pointer in the snow can be a little difficult...
It really cuts down the time locating the dog. I take a bearing on the dog, count the paces, put the Astro away and just watch for the dog. Has really cut my time down finding the pooch. Dang hard to find a Draht in a dense woods.

DSemple

Post by DSemple » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:29 pm

I use beepers hunting deep pheasant cover. Set to beep every 10 seconds with hawk scream on point. Works very well.

Have never used GPS, would hate to have to wear reading glasses while hunting. Also, everybody hunting knows location of your dog with a beeper collar.

Don

nitecapt

Post by nitecapt » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:30 pm

Wow...great replies......so I gather it takes a bit longer to locate your dog with the gps than an "on point" beeper.but I like the orange vest and taking a bearing.
I see reading glasses were mentioned. I am of the age that I need them. My far vision is 20/20 but I need reading glasses. Many of these companies tout that you can read the display in full sunlight. Is the astro that visible? Are the screen fonts large enough?
Thanks again
Ray

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:14 pm

The Alpha might be a challenge on some screens for some functions, and the astro might reqire glasses to set-up, but the dog tracking screens on both are large arrows with good sized distance indicators. So for what you need while hunting will be easily seen by all.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:38 pm

It depends on where you are in the world as to how reliable GPS satellite is. In the Western foothills of Alberta the various GPS devices I have quite frequently lose signal in the heavy cover.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:08 am

slistoe wrote:It depends on where you are in the world as to how reliable GPS satellite is. In the Western foothills of Alberta the various GPS devices I have quite frequently lose signal in the heavy cover.
I would think it is a latitude thing, I have ran mine from ND to Texas without issue, but only in central US.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:06 am

Sometimes when it foothills, they block the signal, depending on the size of the foothill. Used to happen elk hunting all the time until you topped the next ridge. I don't think it has anytning to do with lattitude and longitude; the military uses them everywhere.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:50 am

I have experienced temporary signal loss from the Appalachians to the upper great lakes to the plains....apparently arising from either vegetation or terrain and no doubt weather can also play a role in receiving signals.
The operative word is temporary.
Extended antennas made little difference in loss rate for me....just the beast.

No glasses likely to be needed for an Astro's distance and direction reading....I have heard the Alpha has more of an issue...don't know.
What would be nice is a louder beep on point indication.

Any such GPS device can easily carry the description of....toy and as such, some folks will use their features to distraction.
Accompanied by a bell for the grouse woods, the units are the bee's knees.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:17 pm

I have used mine without losing signal for longer than a minute or two in Eastern Tennessee, the Oucitas and the Ozarks.

You need to do three things in this order:

1. Download free updated software at the Garmin site every couple months.

2. Delete the old tracks,

3. Calibrate the compass before each hunt.

Even when you lose signal, it will show you where the dog last was until you and he get on the same plane. Like any radio signal it will not work through much dirt. I have not had any issues with vegetation, mine works in my brick house.

My mention about latitude was just my way of saying I don't know how it might work in the West and East, I do know about Central US, from top to bottom. Trying to be nice and not point out user error. Most of those with problems have not read the manual.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 pm

A minute or two would be temporary.
I think though that a minute or two can appear longer under some conditions and ownership.
Too many purchase a new technology and either expect perfection as a tradeoff for an open wallet or choose not to do what is required to keep oil in the crankcase.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:58 pm

I run with the beeper on point only. If my dog is "lost" and not on point, I can turn it on and off with my remote and it will beep, letting me know where my dog is.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:21 pm

cutty72 wrote:I run with the beeper on point only. If my dog is "lost" and not on point, I can turn it on and off with my remote and it will beep, letting me know where my dog is.
Not if it is out of hearing range.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:18 pm

I have been thinking on the glasses thing. Even if you don't need them for disstance vision, you should definitely wear them for safety. And they do make reasonably priced shooting glsses with near vision correction. One good poke in the eye could end your hunting forever.

And slightly more expensive is the amplifying hearing protection, which help with beepers and the point alert on the Garmin, but save your hearing.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Glasses are, of course,a good thing......but bifoculs, if needed, do not work out well for everyone in the woods or fields....just distance Morgans for me.
I did try bifoculs for a year, no go....for those for which they work, I expect most already use them.
I use cheaters to read close and small....never need them for the Astro screen....the OP or whomever might want to try and see if a problem even exists for them.

Hearing muffs versus aspen clearcuts or alder runs..nah.
The in-canal digitals carry too much noise burden from wind, etc. for me....some might like them.
Clipping the Astro near or in a pocket helps a lot but so would a louder beep....I'd rather have a louder beep than some of the geejaws in the Astro menu.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:12 pm

Mountaineer wrote: Clipping the Astro near or in a pocket helps a lot but so would a louder beep....I'd rather have a louder beep than some of the geejaws in the Astro menu.
I got the holster that Wingworks sells and sewed it near the top of my shoulder near my ear. I hear it whenever it goes off, no matter how much noise is around me.

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:11 am

I have an Astro 220 with the DC40 collar and in heavy cover the GPS will only get me so far. I've had at times (even posted a video of this situation) where my GPS will say near, but I still can't find the dog. I use the locate feature on my Dogtra collar to find the dog in those situations. I'd much rather run with a bell and the GPS when hunting and try not to use the GPS as a location aid.