Dog got cut up by a cat, any reason to worry?

natel24

Dog got cut up by a cat, any reason to worry?

Post by natel24 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:47 pm

So i got home from work and my wife tells me that a cat got into our shed, long story short, i'm searching around to kick this cat out and i turn around and the darn thing is latched on my dogs face. the dog got cut up a little bit. is cat scratch fever a real thing, or just a good song? does my dogs regular shots take care of that? thanks in advance.

RichK

Re: Dog got cut up by a cat, any reason to worry?

Post by RichK » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:17 pm

I never knew it was a good song. I guess you learn something new everyday!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Both bites and scratches can be a problem. Antibiotics might be in order. Watch for swelling that might indicate an abcess under a closed wound.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Depends how deep they are... I've had several dogs get minor scratches and bites, antibiotic ointment kept it from becoming a problem.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:51 pm

My advice: Clean the cuts thoroughly - you can use saline solution to get the "high powered" flushing action. Then apply EMT ointment/spray. I use EMT for most minor wounds. Flush everyday and re-apply EMT (or antibiotic ointment). Cat bites are bad news if not cleaned, etc. Keep a close eye on the wounds.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:35 am

The biggest issue I have ever had from cat scratches/bites, Is that my dogs dont seem to forget. at the moment of the 5 hunting dogs I have 2 of them have been Lit up by cats and they are heck on the farm population. Id say my 2yo GSP has killed upwards of 20cats with no ammount of correction slowing his dedication to eliminating them from HIS farm, and my older GSP 5yo while he will still give chase, has managed to have his thirst for cat quenched to a mere chase up the nearest tree or into the hay pile.....

Other than that like others have said, keep them cleaned up and possibly get some antibiotic.

Jim

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:24 am

If the cat didn't live it's no problem. :lol:

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:53 am

gonehuntin' wrote:If the cat didn't live it's no problem. :lol:
Amen!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:07 am

scratches most likely wont be a problem, but any bites I would watch very closely. A cats mouth is a filthy place, and almost every cat bite I have seen ends up abscessing. No scratches to the eye, right??

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:58 am

dog dr wrote:scratches most likely wont be a problem, but any bites I would watch very closely. A cats mouth is a filthy place, and almost every cat bite I have seen ends up abscessing. No scratches to the eye, right??
I have an older lady client who was bitten by a neighbor's cat and ended up in the hospital a week. I think it was pasturella. She still has nerve damage in the hand from the infection.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:36 am

One of our GSP's tangled with a cat & we could find no marks on her. A couple of weeks later her ear & side of her head were swollen. Cost around $200.00 to get it taken care of. Vet said she must have been bit but it left such a small hole we couldn't see it & it didn't bleed. This summer 2 of them tangled with a cat and we just got antibiotics for them right away. $100.00 was a lot cheaper then chancing $200.00+ each.

natel24

Post by natel24 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:12 pm

the dog is doing fine, i cleaned up the cuts and put some neosporin type ointment on them. luckily it looks like he didn't get bit or any scratches on the eye. and yes the dog killed the cat and i gave it a proper dumpster burial. i honestly didn't think he had that mean streak in him but when someone or something latches on your face who knows what can happen. thanks for the advice.

vizslatrainer

Post by vizslatrainer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:53 pm

My GSP bitch used to love cornering cats. She and the neighbor cats would tangle with lost of claws and screaming by the cat. She never killed a cat but got a few scratches, nothing ever came of them.