Whining

Benjammin

Whining

Post by Benjammin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Anybody have any Suggestions to keep your gsp from Whining. Or is that just what they do?

RichK

Re: Whining

Post by RichK » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Ignore them, they'll quit sooner or later.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:51 pm

I've always ignored my EPs, they eventually figure out that whining doesn't get them anywhere.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:11 am

It's what they do. Sometimes even in their sleep.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:00 pm

I've had 4 GSP's none of them whined . I try to discourage whining when pups are still very young. I've had spaniels that whined and one lab who would make tiny whining noises when game flew towards us out wildfowling. I have never been able to stop a determined whiner from whining, it just seems to be "in" some dogs.

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:51 pm

I won't have it the kennel, and I won't have it in the house , and I won't have it in the car!
So why have it?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:44 pm

So how do you stop the whining? What if ignoring it doesn't work?

billdave69

Post by billdave69 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:12 pm

My first GSP could be cut in half and would not let out a peep, his daughter however is a whining she devil in the crate. She is eight weeks old and I just pray she will stop.
Any suggestions to stop it, would be greatly appreciated.

BillDave

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Well thanks I never do ignore him I will try doing that now. I always just tell him no quiet but it has got me nowhere. And it's one of those sounds that I can hear through any other noise even when they're outside and it drives me nuts. But I will try the ignoring part if I can.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:16 pm

It's not easy, but it's effective.

Like Casey said, some dogs just do it though.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:59 pm

GSP's have been the worst dogs I have seen for whining. It is tougher to stop than barking IME. Lemon juice in a squirt bottle and an absolute conviction and dedication to the purpose will be the most effective. Anytime, everytime for as long as it takes.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:54 am

Obsessive whiners like barkers are born, its hereditary. Breed whiners and barkers that's what you get.

Only very determined and sometimes harsh dealing with it consistently can work but it always has to be managed, never really cured.

These are seemingly small things that some people don't have the fortitude to not breed, and why really looking at the breeding stock can be important......especially back yard breeders who's dog they think is worthy because it got a JR hunt title....Some bigger breeders just don't care about it either. Breed quiet calm clean dogs thats what you end up with.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:34 am

I know this is not the case for all dogs but I think some owners almost encourage a whine while pups are still very young. They have a sort of attitude of ...." Aw ! Isn't that cute ! He's whining to get out the door, get his dinner, get his toy etc. etc. " Only later on do those owners start to find it not so cute ! I do my best to discourage whining from a very young age, I refuse to respond to it by giving the pup what it wants and if a pup whines out in the run I walk up, throw a cup of water over it , then walk away again saying nothing at all to the pup .

This is not a definite cure but it does work for most of the pups I encounter.

Bill T.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:46 am

birddog1968 wrote:Breed quiet calm clean dogs thats what you end up with.
I know of one fellow who would cull "bleep" kickers from his kennel in a heartbeat. What you breed is what you get on average.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:11 pm

I detest whiners and I don't put up with it, from a pup on. Like others have said, you never ignore it, you never let up, you never cure it. An ecollar can make it worse. I like to pinch their jowls HARD on their canines and command NO NOISE!. I may slap the nose and say NO NOISE! as well. You punish the part committing the crime.

Beware, they can become hand shy to a degree from this, but it's a whale of a lot better than the infernal noise.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:34 pm

Some people look for reasons to beat on a dog. Personally, I prefer food reinforcement for being quiet. Then, instead of whining, they stare.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:45 pm

Just want I need, Turbo staring at me even more.

Beating a dog for whining is about on the level of a parent giving their kid something to cry about.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:58 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Some people look for reasons to beat on a dog. Personally, I prefer food reinforcement for being quiet. Then, instead of whining, they stare.
Some people look for things to overdramatize and create issues that don't exist.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Some people look for reasons to beat on a dog. Personally, I prefer food reinforcement for being quiet. Then, instead of whining, they stare.
Another one of your ideas with no merit that only serves to reinforce a problematic issue. And who said anything about "beating" a dog? Or is that another figment of your ever over active imagination, an attempt to attribute a fictitious statement to a poster that was never made or suggested? Seems like you've gotten in trouble on other boards for the same thing.

Google that.

SD44

Post by SD44 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:22 pm

I have two GSP's from the same breeder and the same parents just different litters. The oldest is 20 months and whines and whines. The youngest who is 5 months old only whines when he needs to go out. The two are complete opposites for the most part. We have tried everything from ignoring him to telling him no noise with the oldest one and nothing has worked thus far. We even ignored him for 6 straight hours and he never let up once. Relentless!! Although he has gotten a lot better with age but he still whines none the less.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:47 pm

SD44 wrote:I have two GSP's from the same breeder and the same parents just different litters. The oldest is 20 months and whines and whines. The youngest who is 5 months old only whines when he needs to go out. The two are complete opposites for the most part. We have tried everything from ignoring him to telling him no noise with the oldest one and nothing has worked thus far. We even ignored him for 6 straight hours and he never let up once. Relentless!! Although he has gotten a lot better with age but he still whines none the less.
A friend of mine was a professional conformation handler for several years. One season, she travelled with a well known shorthair handler and her dogs in a client's motorhome. My friend resorted to sleeping in a lawn chair outside due to the constant whining.