Maturity in puppies?? Field trial prospects.

SCT

Maturity in puppies?? Field trial prospects.

Post by SCT » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:21 pm

How do you guys rate maturity in puppies??

Say you have two littermate males, and have to chose one after raising them into derbies. Lets say they both have all of the ideal traits like extreme birdiness, high intelligence, big range, good nose, big hearts with lots of GO, very stylish on point and classy when running.
I posted this on another forum but thought I'd get some different input as to how you guys judge/rate maturity in puppies.

Say you have two littermate males, and have to choose one after raising them into derbies. Lets say they both have all of the ideal traits (for field trialing) like extreme birdiness, high intelligence, big range, good nose, big hearts with lots of GO, very stylish on point and classy when running.

But, one quits chasing "bleep" birds at a young age, while the other keeps it up many months longer.

One points birds and lets you go in to flush, while the other wants to creep in and flush as you pass him (this before any training).

One is more willing to please, while the other likes to do things his way.

One retains training, while the other needs refreshing.

To me these are all traits of mature vs immature. I am in a situation where I need to choose one dog over the other. Is it a no-brainer??? What if the less mature dog is more impressive to watch run and will push the limits of any course?

I have come to the conclusion that if/when I have a litter of pups, I am going to keep back at least two, and those two (or more) will be the most mature of all the litter from what I can discern at that early age.

Again I ask, how do you rate/judge maturity in puppies???

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Maturity in puppies?? Field trial prospects.

Post by shags » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:10 pm

I'd choose the dog with more...you can never have too much dog. His holes are not unfixable.

“A pup must be allowed to experience puppyhood before it can become a dog.” Earl Crangle. Pointing Dogs; Their Training And Handling.

“He is going to behave like puppy at some time in his life. If you do not let it be a puppy when it is a puppy, it will become one later on.” Pete Flanagan's version of noted Luther Smith's expression.

These quotes are from Ryan Frame's book. They reflect my experience with early maturers and ones that were puppies for quite a long time :lol:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:22 pm

Break them both then choose which one you want... What's another three months? Or three weeks.

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:30 pm

At 16 months old, these pups have had nothing if not all the freedom they've wanted. I am a firm believer in letting a pup be a pup. At this point, I have no idea when, or if the one with MORE will ever want to do things my way. I have more of an emotional attachment to him though because of his personality. But, I have the most frustration with him too.

Breaking them is exactly whats going to happen as soon as I get them back from Montana in a couple weeks.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:28 pm

I realize this is an old thread but while doing a search for something unrelated, this thread came up and it peaked my interest. Just wondering how this situation played out for you?

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:23 pm

Well, I ended up keeping the one that was more enthusiastic and immature. Since then I have parted with him (for personal reasons) and after recently raising two litters I have a new understanding of what I'm looking for at a real young age. My interest now is watching, observing, and possibly picking the more "mature" pup at a very young age (by 12 weeks old,). It's not likely that I will ever buy another pup from anyone because I have decided that I will raise my own puppies when it's time to add one to my kennel. I know they change tremendously throughout their puppy-hood months, but I've learned so much from raising these recent pups, with lots of human contact, and close observation, that I can see how a very observant breeder will know better than anyone, the mental abilities of his/her pups.

Still, "pick" of the litter is an elusive phrase because they do change so much their first year. But, I can tell you which puppy was the first to leave the box (whelping), first to climb back in the box, the calmest in a stressful situation, and a myriad of other subtle and not so subtle behaviors. I can also tell you which were the first to connect their nose with their mind through "treat testing". Needless to say, I picked the most advanced pup and she (of course, it's a female) will be added to my kennel. However, I'm not so closed minded to think that she's the "perfect" pup or dog, and she could eventually be sold, but right now I think she's special. At least out of the two litters I just raised.

I was surprised when, before these pups were born, how few people could give me any quality answers when I asked them things like "how can you test puppies for early development" or "test their mental maturity" and similar questions. Only two or three good comments, but after going through raising these fine critters myself, I learned what I wanted to know.

Probably not much help, but I think if you know which breed of dog you want, look for a quality breeder that can and will answer ALL your questions about his puppies and their parents. And by all means, pick two and raise them to their first birthday. My next litter will stay here until I've made a definitive choice, or at least narrowed it down to two;-)

Steve