Dogs and Traps

cjj

Dogs and Traps

Post by cjj » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:42 am

I had my 2 young brittanys out for a run this week and they were not out of the truck 2 min and one was caught in a foot trap , right next to a parking lot in small game season !! I know State game lands are everyone's but a little common sense go's a long way

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Dogs and Traps

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:58 am

I'm a long time trapper. In most or many states, you can't set near trails or parking areas. Check your game laws. Traps also have to be legally tagged. If that was, I'd darn sure have called that thoughtless trapper and gave him a piece of my mind, or called the warden.

Sounds like an illegal, slob trapper to me. Hope the pooch was just scared and not hurt.

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:45 am

That is one of my biggest worries out in the woods, not so much the leg hold traps, but the connibear traps. It would just take the dnr to listen, but they chose not to. If they would just eliminate the use of connibear traps till after the first week of November, that would save a lot of dogs. Most fur is not even prime early in the year. I know we all have to get along and work side by side, I used to trap myself. Of course slob trappers are going to do what they want with no consideration of others anyway, no different than the poachers.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:51 am

I know with coni's nothing bigger than a 220 can be out of the water. And there are laws on 220's in diffent states.
snares is what scare me the most
Isaac and Banks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:04 pm

I keep a copy of these instructions in the dog bag I carry.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/11/2 ... rip-traps/

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Had a friend in wasington lise a good dog hunting to a snare...he said he knew something was wrong when the dog woudnt recalll...finally found him dead

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:15 pm

With most snares there's nothing to worry about. When the dog stops pulling, the snare relaxes and opens a bit. But there are two that are killer snares, the Ramline and Thompson. The dog is pretty much a goner if he gets in one on them. Thank goodness they're illegal in my state.
Last edited by gonehuntin' on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:44 pm

I was out pheasant hunting this morning and ran into my first trap ever, little did I know the trapper was just ahead of us setting traps. He was at his truck when we get to ours and I chatted with him for a while. He was more than willing to take the time to show me three different traps and how they work, along with how to release them in the event that my dog ever gets stuck in one.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:15 pm

gonehuntin' wrote: When the dog stops pulling,
I hope thats the way it goes
Isaac and Banks